Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Keith a shithead for not getting a rescue?
Yes 19 23.46%
No 62 76.54%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree62Likes

Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think that Michael's call into the show was very good. He is crazy smart and I think that he has been following the story more than K +C so he could talk from more informed perspective. What he says makes sense, I do not personally think that is what happened but it totally makes sense. What I had a problem with was how Michael suggested that Trayvon should have called the police when George was following him. I think a lot of the outrage about this case isn't for the specific scenario but more of an emblematic case of things that are going on around the country. A lot of young black men are unfairly judged by authority figures as a threat or they are unfairly punished for the same crime compared to a white man. This feeling has been talked about a lot in the aftermath. If Trayvon had internalized this fear of unfair treatment he might think he would get in trouble because who would side with him compared to a guy who organized a neighborhood watch? So I do not think its fair to put that as a viable option.
So we got back to, no matter how you think the situation escalated what was this young black kid supposed to do exactly?
MichaelApproved, Bucho and Emelath like this.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Two other things:
Keith your dog is incredibly cute and I think you will be a fine dog owner. You and Cat are caring people and it will go fine. It might take a few struggles to get the dog trained and scheduled but that happens with everybody. I understand the decision to not adopt a dog as I was not able to myself. I would have loved to and had been looking for a specific breed for over a year to adopt. We almost drove down to Virginia to rescue a corgi from Boston that is how serious we were. Eventually after putting our best foot forward and doing everything we could to get a rescue we got a puppy. My friends counseled me that I had tried my hardest and if I still felt bad to give money to our local shelter. That's exactly what we did. I love my Daisy and I do not regret the decision at all.
RE: George Zimmerman getting his gun back. Am I the only one horribly creeped out by that? Even if it was justified it is still the instrument you used to kill somebody and I certainly would not want it back in my house. I would feel horrible about it already and the gun would only be a reminder. Not to mention how I would feel having it back if the shooting wasn't justified. Gross.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
The biggest problem with people that are outraged by the trial outcome is that they have no concept of law, they are acting on emotion. The trial was pretty cut and dry about being unable to prove GZ guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That's all it comes down to, and the prosecution could not prove it.
I agree with you. However, the juror who spoke to Anderson Cooper without showing her face didn't seem to use that in making her decision.

Quote:
(CNN) -- One of the jurors who acquitted George Zimmerman said she had "no doubt" he feared for his life in the final moments of his struggle with Trayvon Martin, and that was the definitive factor in the verdict.
The woman, who was identified just as Juror B37, spoke exclusively to CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Monday night. She is the first juror to speak publicly about the case.
She said she believes Zimmerman's "heart was in the right place" the night he shot Martin, but that he didn't use "good judgment" in confronting the Florida teen.
To me this shows that this juror voted with her heart, not with the law. Jurors are supposed to follow the law, not their personal feelings on the case. It turns out the prosecutor was correct when he asked the jury, "what if this happened the other way around? How would you feel about it then."
Blitzgal likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
It turns out the prosecutor was correct when he asked the jury, "what if this happened the other way around? How would you feel about it then."
Personally, I think that was a horrible question to ask. For one thing, it is incredibly ambiguous. If you take another second to think about the question, there are tons of variations to "the other way around". Is he saying that the neighborhood watch person was a kid, was it a white kid or a black kid, was the wanderer a middle aged guy, black or white? Did the wanderer do the shooting or was it still the neighborhood watch person? There are so many scenario combinations that "the other way around" could be interpreted as.

Assuming the "other way around" means what people initially think it to mean, then the prosecutor is asking the jury to be racist. I don't see that as a good question.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Speaking of pitches:

And on the other side, a male athlete who can't.

Pitching is harrr-erd
Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
Personally, I think that was a horrible question to ask.
I agree. Why make an emotional appeal to the jury? Stick to the facts, stick to the law!

When I heard the verdict I was impressed that the jury made a decision based on the law (albeit one that I wasn't emotionally happy about). Apparently I was wrong. The jury did make an emotional decision. Or at least this juror did. I don't want to damn the entire jury, even if I think we may have to.
g001dfinger likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

What if it truly was "the other way around" and you or a loved one was accused of killing "a child" in cold blood when you were defending yourself from certain and grave danger? No one is ever really interested in "the other way around" they're into moral superiority, grandstanding and sanctimony. Everyone's just barking like retarded poodles.

Last edited by lattaland; 07-16-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not sure about Malteze but Poodles don't shed, so that's a plus. Also your dog doesn't have a short nose which means it shouldn't have nasal problems.

Chemda if I ever had the misfortune of walking behind you I would stay at least six feet back because I understand how it can be intimidating to have a guy walk behind you.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violachick8 View Post
A lot of young black men are unfairly judged by authority figures as a threat or they are unfairly punished for the same crime compared to a white man. This feeling has been talked about a lot in the aftermath. If Trayvon had internalized this fear of unfair treatment he might think he would get in trouble because who would side with him compared to a guy who organized a neighborhood watch? So I do not think its fair to put that as a viable option.
So we got back to, no matter how you think the situation escalated what was this young black kid supposed to do exactly?
The young black kid was supposed to call the police and try to de-escalate the situation. I only have Zimmerman's side of the story so I don't know if Trayvon did or didn't try to de-escalate but I do know that he didn't call the police. Still, this is Zimmerman's fault. I'm not blaming Trayvon for causing this situation. Zimmerman is at fault.

Look for a wrongful death civil case from Trayvon's family that'll bankrupt Zimmerman like what happened to O.J.

You're right that black people in general have a fear of police or don't trust them. That's a terrible failure of society and the police force. The same thing happens with illegal immigrants. They don't call the police when a crime is committed because they fear they'll be deported. This causes more crime. It's a terrible failure.
CherryLavender likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Fireball8 likes this.