Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should same-sex marriage be legalized?
Yes 136 99.27%
No 1 0.73%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree113Likes

Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1846: Federal Level

with Lauren Hennessy

www.twitter.com/LaurenHennessy

Share this episode: Federal Level (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So sorry you are going through this crap with your parents, Chemda. You are not wrong, it is not your fault. I think you handled it the best you can, it is on them, NOT you. You have tried so hard to be a good daughter, but they have a different idea of what that is. You are such a great, big-hearted, wonderful, wonderful person. Anyone who is invited to your wedding will be witnessing a wonderful event. If your parents can't get over whatever is going on with them, that is their loss. Maybe have your brothers, if they are ok with it, be the buffer through your parents, i.e. unless your parents have support and good wishes, they don't communicate with you.

Best of luck with the planning of the wedding. Many, many hugs.
Keith, Bucho, Blitzgal and 8 others like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I think my heart cracked in half when Chemda discussed realizing her marriage wouldn't be legal if they did it in Maui. I thought the get-away wedding and the open house reception were perfect, creative, awesome plans that suit this couple! It made me tear when I heard her say, "then it dawned on me, it won't be legal.."

And to hear Chemda's argument about how she never thought her marriage (that is SO personal so her and should be no one else's business) would be offensive to people made me even sadder. People suck.
Keith, Lanfear, jorjo and 4 others like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry, Chemda. I wish we lived in a world where you could have everything you dreamed of without bullshit laws standing in the way. It bothers me to no end that people want to take your love and happiness away from you because of what they believe.

Are you able to have a ceremony on Maui but obtain your license before you go? That way your legality is taken care of and you still have the commitment ceremony you want. I believe you will have a day filled with love and happiness, which is the most important part.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

A) So happy you are on Audible and I have already bought it! (Sorry was already a member, hope you still get decent cut of my purchase)

B) I hope I didn't break your experiment (aka Poll) but I voted yes but more and more I am thinking that Marriage shouldn't be a legal entity at all and in fact governments should create a new legal entity that is the same as marriage and is open to all people that want to enter it (same-sex or otherwise). That way marriage will only be a term and/or a religious entity and that fight can be taken away from the government! Hope this makes sense!

Molly
PS. Molly is a nickname of Malone and I'm a guy not a girl! ;-)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

After listening to the heart breaking news from Chemda; I listened to Marc Maron's recent WTF interview with gay writer Dan Savage.

As infuriating and infinitely sad as Chemda's mom's reaction is, it made me realize how fortunate we are to live in a country that is progressively getting away from religious dogma and old world views on sex and gender. A place where more and more parents, (IE Lauren's) are waking to the fact that they love their children - regardless of differences.

Dan Savage made the point that he doesn't condone 'outing' gay men, (unless of course they're the crazy homophobic closeted gay Republicans) but that gays who do not come out, are complicit in harm. These men, women and transgendered people are apart of a group. It is their duty to help this group educate others.

As incredibly shitty as it is for Chemda and Lauren to have to endure all this, (especially at such a milestone point in life as marriage) it can only contribute to the greater good that their stories be told.

There are a ton of parents who are avid fans of Chemda and Lauren and this show. It's important to pass on this info to kids. To stop handing down the hate and misconceptions of sex and gender identity.

Any time Keith is disgusted at someone's homophobia or intolerance. Any time Chemda and Lauren mention how they get harassed, (in NYC no less!) The gay, lesbian, and bisexual guests that are on.

KatG is an important resource on these issues! For what it's worth; I hope they know there is some greater good coming from all this.

Also, the wedding in Maui with DvD party at home with their friends is totally kick-ass! I wish them well. Congrats.
ElleJ, jorjo, JSZilla and 1 others like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyfud View Post
Marriage shouldn't be a legal entity at all and in fact governments should create a new legal entity that is the same as marriage and is open to all people that want to enter it (same-sex or otherwise). That way marriage will only be a term and/or a religious entity and that fight can be taken away from the government! Hope this makes sense!
the logistics of a change of phrase in terms of bureaucratic bullshit alone is mind boggling. and what would you have everybody's marriage be who are already married? do they get stripped of it? would you ask Keith and Cat to give up their "marriage"? i think it goes against the inclusiveness we're seeking.

keep the word. giving it over to the religious gives them legitimacy in their claim on it. marriage isn't necessarily religious; let's not make it so. it creates a second and implied inferior class.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

You Don't Know Who You Are

Whoever voted 'No' on this poll...is really and truly a disgusting person. That shit ain't funny.

I'd wish horrible things upon you, but most likely you're already stuck in your mother's basement or wheel chair.
bonkrood and GreeningOA like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
the logistics of a change of phrase in terms of bureaucratic bullshit alone is mind boggling. and what would you have everybody's marriage be who are already married? do they get stripped of it? would you ask Keith and Cat to give up their "marriage"? i think it goes against the inclusiveness we're seeking.

keep the word. giving it over to the religious gives them legitimacy in their claim on it. marriage isn't necessarily religious; let's not make it so. it creates a second and implied inferior class.
I have to admit not fully knowing the origins and if it went before religions but I thought it was originally a religious term. So, if they want it back, give it back and create a legal relationship!

To answer your question, yes! My legal marriage would change over to this Legal entity and I could choose to say if I am married or not! We did get married in a church but it wouldn't worry me either way! Keith and Cat could choose as well. The beauty of this system is, Chemda and Lauren could choose as well where as in many country's and/or states, they can't!

I agree it is a huge leap and I also know that it won't happen but to me, this is the simplest way to get the result most want and why the heck does the Government need to be involved in deciding this at all?

I don't know in the US, but my understanding is (and I could be off here) is that in Australia most of the rights of a Married couple are extended to a same-sex couple except for the ability to get Married. So if same-sex couples can't get married legally, why should straight? And the logical answer is Marriage should lose its legal status!

Again, just a thought. Best answer is that Same-sex Marriage is legalised but I don't know how long it will take for the ones that are stopping it to lose power.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyfud View Post
I thought it was originally a religious term. So, if they want it back, give it back
marriage existed before and exists outside Christianity. our american conservative camp has no problems with atheists "marrying" or hindus or muslims or buddhists; it doesn't matter if the service is religious in nature or not, they still recognize a married couple as married. term and all. in a church or not. to people who believe or not.

the distinction they place on gender would be arbitrary were it not fueled by disgust and selective legalistic adherence to a tradition they barely even actually know. the bible is full of concubines and slave marriages, but ask a modern christian if a David-esque harem would fly. in fact, i'm fairly certain polygamy is as firm a part of their slippery slope as it is their biblical tradition.

marriage in its current state is so pervasive and so widely accepted in its many applications, the insinuation that it "belongs" to one culture and we should all just dump it to appease them is, frankly, asinine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.