Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should same-sex marriage be legalized?
Yes 136 99.27%
No 1 0.73%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree113Likes

Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

As a lesbian daughter of conservative immigrants, I have to say - sometimes it doesn't get better. Sometimes, parents don't over come their bigotry and sometimes, they never accept their child's partner and life.

A lot of my gay friends who have come out to their parents, tell stories of rough times at first and they all try to convince me that it will get better. I think that that is not the case for everyone.

If parents never accept their kid's homosexuality, there's only one way to keep sane. You have to let go of your parents and start your own family. They have lived their lives as they saw fit, you should have the same opportunity.

Some parents really suck...
Bucho, jorjo, punk'n and 4 others like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
I think my heart cracked in half when Chemda discussed realizing her marriage wouldn't be legal if they did it in Maui. I thought the get-away wedding and the open house reception were perfect, creative, awesome plans that suit this couple! It made me tear when I heard her say, "then it dawned on me, it won't be legal.."
Hearing Lauren's reaction to it was what hit me, because you can hear how much it means to him to get married there and the hope he has that Chemda will still go through with a Maui ceremony even if the legal malarky has to be taken care of somewhere in the Enlightened Thirteen, while Chemda seemed to all but dismiss that notion.

BUT, hearing about Lauren's dad giving him the "Nice work" when he said it had been two years in the making ... fucking aces.
Scumhook likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

The closest thing I have heard to a legitimate, non-religious argument against gay marriage is this: government benefits should only be used to support same sex couples because procreation is to the benefit of the country since married couples are more likely to procreate, so only marriages that have that benefit should be subsidized with tax breaks. That was an opinion piece by an editor of the paper at MIT. 1

So, we'll just gloss over the increase in unwed birth rates, divorce rates, and number of married couples who choose not to have children but are still considered married. We'll ignore all of that and just argue his main point.

Allowing a gay couple to marry gives you another potential set of parents who could adopt a kid. " According to the 2010 census, a quarter of same-sex American households are raising children, gaining ground on heterosexual couples, who parent at a rate of just under 50 percent." 2 (article cited below) Children who grow up in these homes have a better support system than your average unwed mother and their family is less likely to rely on government subsidies to get by due to having two parents. The children do as well as children from heterosexual couples. A family support system makes it a LOT easier to go to, and finish, college.

If you want a better society, supportive loving families will help increase the number of well-educated adults in future generations. Over 25% of gay couples adopt already and the rate has been increasing, and would most likely be higher if more states allowed it. Not allowing gay couples to marry would therefore be contributing to the decline of our society.

Anyway, that was the ONLY argument against gay marriage that I could find that was not religious or hate based, but it still ignored a lot of facts.

1 Gay marriage should not be made legal - The Tech
2 Dr. Peggy Drexler: The Kids Are All Right: Gay Parents Raising Children
Bucho, jorjo, JSZilla and 1 others like this.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #24 (permalink)

ok. i don't know how destination weddings work, BUT does the license have to be from the place where the wedding takes place OR does the couple get their license for their home state and have it signed by the destination officiant?

could chemda and lauren get an NYC license and take it with them to hawaii?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
The closest thing I have heard to a legitimate, non-religious argument against gay marriage is this: government benefits should only be used to support same sex couples because procreation is to the benefit of the country
This is silly, though. People are going to be putting penises into vagians - all the time and indefinitely Also, we're approaching the time and level of technology where 'designing' your offspring, (without deformity or low IQ) is going to be superior to simply shitting one out.

Kids are an incredible tax burden to the public. Schools, children's programs, and the inevitable crime that results from kids that no one cares about; is the #1 reason America is falling apart!

Let me say this as a responsible parent. Fuck the children! Though, don't actually fuck them...more like quit using them as an excuse for everything.

The Tech is an interesting article. Is having a mother and father around the best of all possible worlds? I wouldn't know and neither would the majority of America. You know what would also be best for children? Not getting put into abusive foster care when a sane and loving gay or lesbian couple home is looking to adopt.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 09-14-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #26 (permalink)

Off the current topic but still for this show:

Did they ever say the name of the bar that Lauren had his birthday party at? I would like to know more about this bar.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
ok. i don't know how destination weddings work, BUT does the license have to be from the place where the wedding takes place OR does the couple get their license for their home state and have it signed by the destination officiant?

could chemda and lauren get an NYC license and take it with them to hawaii?
They can get their license wherever it's legal and have the ceremony anywhere, but picture that the place you are having your ceremony doesn't respect or acknowledge what you're celebrating.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
They can get their license wherever it's legal and have the ceremony anywhere, but picture that the place you are having your ceremony doesn't respect or acknowledge what you're celebrating.
if there's a loophole, fuck 'em. that our states' complete legislation hasn't caught up is pretty par for the course with these civil rights doohickeys. we're in the transition.

my guess is the people that are with them on the beach that day where they will be surrounded by nothing but good wishes and nature will be a just fine celebration. Lauren has loving, acknowledging roots on the island, yes?

no reason to toss the baby out with the bathwater if a hibiscus and ocean scented, near-and-dears wedding is what chemda wants. love can win that day, if i may be a sloppy romantic optimist.
Bucho, punk'n, JSZilla and 1 others like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #29 (permalink)

then again, not spending money on businesses who support same sex marriage because the state doesn't seems a little counter productive. let the people who want to help, help. in any event, Chemda said she didn't want her wedding to be a political statement. let a girl have her day.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

I'd like to know who is the fucking person that voted no.
bonkrood likes this.