Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Syria
We should help out. 8 15.69%
We should say, "No thanks bye bye." 43 84.31%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree61Likes

Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
it's a symbiotic relationship
True. It's also, 'Gun sales are illegal in Mexico' and the drugs we buy from Mexico are illegal.

I heart irony.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I disagree with Chemda that military service is a requirement to be President of the US. This opinion is in opposition of some of our founding principles:
  • The President is a Civilian. He/She cannot hold military rank at the same time. Civilian leadership in government must work with the military to defend the country.
  • There are other ways to serve the nation than in a military uniform. Frankly, we need more representatives in all levels of government who are teachers, engineers, and regular folks. (not military, law, and business)
  • We cannot hold physical ailments against any individual in their desire to hold goverment office. One of our greatest Presidents, Franklin Roosevelt, ran the country from a wheelchair. He suffered from childhood Polio, and didn't serve in the military, but managed to work with Generals and triumph in WWII.
  • We don't have a mandatory service. The military is volunteer, but by passing restrictions on President, it creates a nobility which reduces the number of candidates. Our system of gov't enables *anyone* to hold office (providing they are born in this country and have achieved 35 years of age.)

Now if we had mandatory service, it would be a different story. Essentially saying "you can't skip your vegetables and then come back for cake."
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottperezfox View Post
We cannot hold physical ailments against any individual in their desire to hold goverment office. One of our greatest Presidents, Franklin Roosevelt, ran the country from a wheelchair. He suffered from childhood Polio, and didn't serve in the military, but managed to work with Generals and triumph in WWII.
Although this comes from Wikipedia - so study with caution - it is a fairly large list of physically disabled politicians from around the world who have or are serving in their respective governments.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ed_politicians

I was searching for an Australian MP, Graeme Edwards - a former Vietnam Vet and dual lower limb amputee - who I thought was a Veteran's Affairs Minister in a past Labor Government here but I don't think he actually had a ministerial portfolio.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 09-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If we get militarily involved with Syria, it will be Iraq war 3. The country is a shithole; the government is a brutal dictatorship, But the rebels are dominated by jihadis allied with Al Qaeda. Trying to help would be like asking your neighbor to stop beating his wife. A bullshit agreement getting the Syrian government to disavow chemical weapons is the best we can expect.

All that said, I wouldn't mind the paycheck...
Scumhook likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I actually think the military service is a good idea. If the president has actually been in war they would have a better understanding of what their sending their countrymen into. They need to understand the hell their decisions are putting people though so they will only do what is necessary.
jjamis likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
...the government is a brutal dictatorship
Are you sure about that?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

i get it. prior military service is great in a candidate for all the reasons listed above--it does and ought hold weight with constituents--, BUT there are enough valid reasons to not mandate it. firstly because i'm not a fan of 'always' 'never's 'mandates' or 'bans.' also, allowing pull from the citizenry keeps that office from becoming politically incestuous with the military. it's a tight boys club with a lot of pull. this is america. we pride ourselves in our individual paths to success; i think narrowing the field to whether or not you joined the military when you were 18, 20, 25 goes against the spirit of the position--half of those guys did it for the money. it should be open to EVERY American. i even think non-natural born citizens should be able to run with enough time in country, but that's another thing.

let's not blind ourselves with patriotism. making it through boot camp doesn't intrinsically give you some higher ground over civilians; soldiers that think so can be giant assholes and are rarely worth their own hype. being shot at doesn't make you a leader. you can do all of those things and still be a piss poor human being. the rank on your sleeve is indicative, but not a guarantee, of your character. sacrifice to country and community takes many shapes. leadership takes many shapes. people's journeys are long.

it's a nice sound bite, but completely impractical and robs us of potential good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
Are you sure about that?
Yes. Aren't you?
Ranz likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
Yes. Aren't you?
I've read alternative viewpoints. I'm not convinced.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Links?