Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Keith get a kitten for Hugsy to play with?
Yes 30 51.72%
No 28 48.28%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

The JV club episode is up. So strange when worlds collide, can't wait to hear it.

Shame you couldn't get on the Adam Carolla podcast, too. But you're on some of the top shows out there for sure. Pete Holmes is pretty huge! Good job guys, as usual.

As for cats, I never was a fan as a kid. As I got older and got forced into living with them, I started to really appreciate them. Having Hugsy so young, there's a much better chance to creating a playful bond.

If you don't get the cat from the pet store that loved Hugsy, make sure you get one that is very playful and make absolutely certain it's not a skittish or nervous cat, as if you don't the cat might not feel comfortable with it's living arrangements.

Also, boy cat. All the way. Female cats tend to be more territorial and bitchy. I love our girl cat, but she's got serious attitude. All my boy cats have been cool as cucumbers. As for food, but better quality low ash dry food, especially if you get a boy. Consider also giving wet food. Boy cats especially are prone to kidney stones when they're old. Spending a bit extra on good food will save you vet money in the future. Same goes for Hugsy, too. Spend that bit more and it'll pay dividends in the long run.

One last thing to consider, if you get a cat they are grazers which means you should leave the dry food out all day. Hugsy, just like he will snack on cat poop from the litter box, will do everything in his power to get at the cat food, too.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I've never enjoyed my pets as much as I do my dogs AND cats.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Totally depends on the animal. I've had male cats with varying degrees of dominance issues, from the absolute worst territorial shit to a total beta male. My alpha male cat would flat out attack any male of any species that came into the apartment, and was a total shit to my female cat (who was the mellow one). People were terrified of him, although of course no one told me that until after he died. I was pretty much the only living thing he actually liked.

Now I have a beta male cat and he's like a dog. Plays fetch, loves kids, answers when I call him, etc. I can trust him with my niece and nephew, when I would never have allowed them near my first cat.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Keep in mind that the kitten we're thinking about getting is HORRIBLE.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

well then

andsoitgoes likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Also, boy cat. All the way. Female cats tend to be more territorial and bitchy.
Whoops, should have quoted the bit I was responding to.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Get through your first winter with the dog before you seriously consider adding pets.
WSEIII likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
This is a guy that not long ago wanted ZERO pets.
Remember him stepping on a frog for lols while camping? It's impressive at how far Keet has come with the animal kingdom.

Anyway, you're not just getting a kitten, you're getting a cat. They smell like poop and like to sharpen their claws on everything. If you get a male, he'll spray his territory. If you get a female, she'll have to be fixed as soon as she's old enough. It'll leave little dead "gifts", puke or hairballs for you to find.

Can you tell I'm a cat lover?

Last edited by lizzy1e; 10-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Whoops, should have quoted the bit I was responding to.
Haha I figured that was the case

I agree that it still depends no matter what, BUT on average female cats tend to be more trouble. I know male cats can for sure, but all things considered it's more likely you'll have problems with a lady than a boy in my experience. And I've had more than I would like to admit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy1e View Post
Remember him stepping on a frog for lols while camping? It's impressive at how far Keet has come with the animal kingdom.

Anyway, you're not just getting a kitten, you're getting a cat. They smell like poop and like to sharpen their claws on everything. If you get a male, he'll spray his territory. If you get a female, she'll have to be fixed as soon as she's old enough. It'll leave little dead "gifts", puke or hairballs for you to find.

Can you tell I'm a cat lover?
I could list pages of horror stories about dogs, too. It all comes down to an equal amount of luck, knowing how to assess the attitude of the cat and how you present your home.

In all the male cats I've had, none have sprayed if there wasn't an underlying health issue. Same with females. That behavior is almost always due to the cat not being spayed/neutered first.

As for hairballs and puking, unless it's a cold of some sort, feeding the right food will prevent both hairballs and puking. And seeing as people who live near road and have mild common sense ensure their cats stay indoor only, dead "gifts" will only happen if you've got a pest infestation. And then, I would prefer to have a heads up with a dead "gift" versus the dog version where their overwhelming intelligence ensures they will eat the dead animal and possibly die by choking on it.

And speaking on pets doing stupid things, I've never seen cats eating their own feces, eating the feces of other animals and I've especially never seen them shit and piss everywhere indoors with aplomb, however almost every dog has done each and every one of those things. Cats are basically potty trained before you even get them home.

Now I love dogs , but to try and crucify cats in that way is silly and one sided :P

Maybe I'm being a bit extra serious on this, but I don't like baseless attacks against pets to not be addressed.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

All the people posting negative comments may as well have said "I like dogs".

Cats rock. The only real downside is they gradually destroy furniture with sharpening their claws, but who cares, this ain't the palace. I wish we'd gotten a second cat not long after we got ours as it is the noisiest attention whore I've ever seen, which was the opposite reason for getting a cat, but that's not really an issue. "Stop loving me so much!"

A quick search online for enclosed litter boxes found plenty that are set up to make it hard for anything but the cat to get into.

Cat Litters - Walmart.com
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

It's best to get the cat and dog while they're young because they won't be set in their ways. I voted yes