Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: FEMALES ONLY: Honestly, are you into pro-football?
Yes 11 15.49%
No 21 29.58%
I'm a male 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not a fan of NFL but I am a huge fan of NCAA football.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

4th song

I can't prove it, but I have a theory for the 4th song is best idea:

For those of us who remember the cassette tape days, finding a song on a cassette was difficult. If you wanted to play the 3rd song on the tape, you fast forwarded, then randomly hit play. You ended up halfway through the 2nd song, so you fast forwarded again. Now when you hit play you were on the 5th song. This frustration was relieved when CD's came out.

I've looked at some old tapes. Most of the "singles" from an album are in the middle of the tape. The theory is that you will listen to the rest of the tape to hear that "Singles" on the album.

So let's say that there are 10 songs on a tape, usually 5 on each side (unless a song is really long. Then you would have 4 and 6 respectively.) Track 1 and 2 are songs on the album 3 and 4 may be hit singles. Track 5 rounds out the side. 6-10 probably follow the same pattern.

This notation gets people to listen to the rest of the songs on the album.

This don't apply anymore since we can by single tracks or hit the skip button on our CD/MP3 players.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I give no fucks about sports. It was a negative thing in my family because my dad was psycho about it-throwing shit at us and just being in a foul mood if his team lost.

And I agree with Christian that that guy clearly has punched a woman before because damn.

Hilarious episode.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

timely

fuck this

Last edited by DJ Trashy; 07-14-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

I love football - GO SEAHAWKS!!! The majority of the women that I know are into football, and I rarely meet women that aren't. I thought the stigma of women not being into football was gone.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooKid View Post
This don't apply anymore since we can by single tracks or hit the skip button on our CD/MP3 players.
bear and i talk about this sometimes, he produces music, about how the ease with which we can skip and buy single tracks is ruining 'the album.'

believe it or not, kzoo, albums are cohesive pieces of art. where you put a particular song among the whole is how the story gets told. back in ye olde vinyl days, you started the record and let it run; you fully participated in the journey the artist created. nowadays you can cherry pick your tracks with no regard to whether or not the previous track set something inside track 4 leading into track 5 that may've blown your dick off if you'd given half a chance to absorb the whole. some tracks that aren't necessarily hits or the best still go towards building a mood. sometimes track 5 is there to prepare you or ease you into track 6. or introduce/continue a theme. who the fuck wants to buy an interlude on its own?

anyway, can't say that you're wrong per se, i don't know 'bout corporate studios, but i do know track placement is a big deal on the creative end with regard to storytelling and how they've chosen to affect you with their music. i think in the mainstream we're slowing losing out on the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
bear and i talk about this sometimes, he produces music, about how the ease with which we can skip and buy single tracks is ruining 'the album.'

believe it or not, kzoo, albums are cohesive pieces of art. where you put a particular song among the whole is how the story gets told. back in ye olde vinyl days, you started the record and let it run; you fully participated in the journey the artist created. nowadays you can cherry pick your tracks with no regard to whether or not the previous track set something inside track 4 leading into track 5 that may've blown your dick off if you'd given half a chance to absorb the whole. some tracks that aren't necessarily hits or the best still go towards building a mood. sometimes track 5 is there to prepare you or ease you into track 6. or introduce/continue a theme. who the fuck wants to buy an interlude on its own?

anyway, can't say that you're wrong per se, i don't know 'bout corporate studios, but i do know track placement is a big deal on the creative end with regard to storytelling and how they've chosen to affect you with their music. i think in the mainstream we're slowing losing out on the experience.
I'm trying to help the younger kids understand. I'm in my 30's. I remember listening to the entire 8-track/record/cassette tape from one end to the other. Some songs even started right after others ended.

We could dive deeper into people not listening to music well. iPods and MP3 have ruined the sound experience. Earbuds can't capture what a good set of speakers can. But I don't want to turn this into a music theory class.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooKid View Post
But I don't want to turn this into a music theory class.
oh my goodness, let's!

i have a pretty righteous set of earbuds, and by me i mean the musicians who live in my house from whom i borrow them. i'm partial to the old style cans because my dad had a heavy ass leather set from the 70s and it feels authentic; like how i like to smoke joints. the songs were likely mixed on headphones as opposed to speakers, so i think you get a truer, not necessarily better or worse, expression listening that way. beats aren't the best thing out there, but a lot of the music people listen to were mixed on them, in that respect if that's worth something to you it's worth investing in.

if i'm going to really listen into something, speakers just don't cut it. a good fade can really mess with your body going straight to your brain. and as much as i like my floor to shake, having all that vibration contained just inside my tissues is intense.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

fuck this

Last edited by DJ Trashy; 07-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

I bought a pair of these a while back. They sounds fantastic for earbuds.

I also have a set of these that I listen to when I'm sitting at my desk.

I have these that I listen to when I'm mobile at work (bathroom, working on another PC).

But at home, I love a good pair of headphones. If I want to crank out the jams, it sounds soo good in a nice set of cans.

I have some speakers with a sub that I listen to when no one is home, but that's not too often.

I'm not an audiophile. I don't own thousands of dollars of stereo equipment. But I was a radio journalism major. I interned at a radio station. I know what something that is produced well on good equipment sounds like. I just can't afford to listen to things like that.