Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Eminem really homophobic?
Yes 46 68.66%
No 21 31.34%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree26Likes

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Loved Dan Soder's idea of calling the team the Taxmen. Reminded me of this Beatle's song and I found a funny take on it. I'm having problems downloading the video, but go to Youtube and look up Taxman by the Beatle's. There's a video of Obama made to look like he's doing it.

Last edited by WSEIII; 11-13-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: right the first time
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
To be able to log into the forums means you're smarter than this.

Where did the superiority complex come from?
The answer you want me to say is racism. But following that logic wouldn't that make everyone that feels white guilt racist? Also I only had to smart enough to log in once, the browser does rest.

Also I think we are both arguing a different point than where we started out. So I'm tapping out now.
flerchin likes this.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The answer you want me to say is racism.
It's a trick question.

You're black, so it's impossible for you to be racist.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Alcohol in the former USSR

I don't know what news/studies you're looking at, but this is just a regulatory definition, not what they think about beer. The law in Russia was passed in 2011 and comes into effect in 2013, and it was done so that the same regulations for hard liquor could be applied to beer and the mixed drinks they sell here.

Ukraine is pretty much the same and is in left field when it comes to labeling drinks. You can still buy beer, rum-colas, coffee-brandies, gin-tonics, and many Four Loko equivalents at any sidewalk vendor. They are classified as "слабоалкогольные напитки," which means "weak-alcohol drink," and there are only 3 labels that must appear on every drink: Alcohol drink, weak-alcohol drink, or non-alcohol drink. They even have to declare on the bottle whether it is a strong-, weak-, or non-carbonated liquid.

In the late 90s here, I would be waiting for a bus and there would be a hot dog/vodka/cigarette kiosk at every stop. There would be guys taking shots at 7:30am just waiting in line for the bus. And buying alcohol was essentially like getting on a roller coaster: You have to be this tall to reach the counter to properly pay for your drink. There was a health push here that began in 1998 to promote beer over vodka and enforce the drinking/smoking age. Now you have to have a special license to sell cigarettes in any establishment, you can only sell alcohol-drinks if your place of business is larger than 200 square feet or so, and they now check if you are over 18 to buy both. They made the laws just to get rid of these little bars that were everywhere. It wasn't until last year that it was made illegal to consume alcohol on the street, which is ironic because that law would have been perfect in 1998 to get rid of the street vendors in the first place instead of creating all the other regulations on labeling and selling.
WittyReference likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The answer you want me to say is racism. But following that logic wouldn't that make everyone that feels white guilt racist? Also I only had to smart enough to log in once, the browser does rest.

Also I think we are both arguing a different point than where we started out. So I'm tapping out now.
Emmy got into a discussion on the Bottom's Up show about how African Americans can discriminate against white people, but they cannot be racist because racism is an institutionalized pattern among the ruling or governing establishment that cannot be duplicated by minorities or non-ruling people. It is an interesting distinction.
WittyReference likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
wouldn't that make everyone that feels white guilt racist?
this is a legit school of thought. that /all/ white people are racist by default because of the system in which we all live. a label given to us by the color of our skin. a systemic marking that ignores the individual. it's an idea i refuse.

i benefit from the system whether i want to or not. whether i think it's wrong or not. whether i know i'm benefitting or not. i don't think 'racist' is the right or best word for what that makes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLoco View Post
Emmy got into a discussion on the Bottom's Up show about how African Americans can discriminate against white people, but they cannot be racist because racism is an institutionalized pattern among the ruling or governing establishment that cannot be duplicated by minorities or non-ruling people. It is an interesting distinction.
this is where emmy and a good number of my lovely activist friends and i disagree. but, i'm white and that colors the conversation.

hating across culture lines is ubiquitous. it's human. internally and across divides, people love to hate. latinos? hate each other. asians? mega hate each other. and they are OPEN about it. i suppose if a dominican beats the shit out of a mexican because he's mexican it's just minority relations? i'm not saying we're not in a biased system, i'm saying that 'non-white people can't be racist' is complete and utter bullshit. identical actions and patterns of thought excused from the verbiage because someone isn't part of a ruling class? nope. pot=kettle

i think there's a problem with our words when my not getting pulled over would be considered a racist act and a violent hate crime may not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 11-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

then there's this. *sigh*

Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

I kind of agree with Invader in the sense that White Guilt (or any kind of guilt for something your ancestors did) is pretty stupid.

Why the heck should you be held responsible for something your great-grandfather did, or even your dad for that matter? Nobody alive today took part in America's slavery industry, so why should we feel guilty about it?

Also - think about all the shitty things human beings have done to each other over the course of human history. Should Mongolians feel guilty for Ghengkis' cross continental rape-a-thon? I guess Italians should be ashamed too for the way the Romans acted 2000 years ago - especially since they kept slaves!!

Just all seems a little ridiculous frankly.

Last edited by backgen; 11-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

so is having the cops called when you buy at barney's while black.

i'm a little off put by how little some of y'uns think history matters in the now. if we're talking context, this shit was recent.
OLDPPL likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
so is having the cops called when you buy at barney's while black.

i'm a little off put by how little some of y'uns think history matters in the now. if we're talking context, this shit was recent.
i'm not saying that history doesn't matter - it's insanely important we learn from mistakes made in the past lest we repeat them in the future.

What i'm saying is there's no sense in feeling guilty about something you didn't do yourself, or were a part of in a meaningful way.
Scumhook likes this.