Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Would you be happy with Judy Gold's career?
Yes 50 89.29%
No 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

i'm not saying that at all. my personal opinion is that live performance is best served live. what i /am/ saying is there's a lot going on behind the scenes to pull it off.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

So a comedian's performance is never truly theirs - when live?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

what are you even talking about?
Keith likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
what are you even talking about?
Lol. Nothing

It's just that I always considered stand up comedy an autonomous, single, personal performance. You're saying there's a bunch of people involved. I never thought of it that way.

Bands have the luxury of recording at home now. IT's just too bad comedians like Judy still need a lot of money and a production team to make it happen.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Lol. Nothing

It's just that I always considered stand up comedy an autonomous, single, personal performance. You're saying there's a bunch of people involved. I never thought of it that way.

Bands have the luxury of recording at home now. IT's just too bad comedians like Judy still need a lot of money and a production team to make it happen.
here's a great parallel. you /can/ record at home. but that involves sound engineering know how. even live performances get mixed in the studio before release. it is a different skill set than music performance. not everybody is adept and certainly everyone isn't spectacular. Johnny Rockstar may shred a solo, but can he pull it together in Logic? our new artists are wearing many more hats than they used to. by necessity.

what judy was saying is that there USED to be full teams that just took your show and ran as standard practice. you get discovered, they give you a show. now a days, comedians are doing more and more themselves. like bands. judy is trying to revive what she feels is a lagging career in an environment that requires more from her than just being sparkling on stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

I remember watching 'Comedy Central Presents' where they'd do a half hour stand up of great comedians. Dave Attell. Mitch Hedberg. Marc Maron.

Now Comedy Central has so many shows, (IE The Jeselnik Offesnsive) that they seem to have gotten away from specials.

Who knows? Maybe an hour special isn't at the forefront of the comedy game anymore. Seems like podcasts and tv shows are more prevalent.

I hear what Judy is saying though. She's old school. She reminds me of Marc Maron. All angry and whatnot. I like that.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Good to have Sue back on the show.
shoebootie and theycallmepyro like this.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

This episode made me laugh like a crazy person while walking to class just now. Thanks guys!
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

It was good of KATG to guest appear on the 'Judy Gold hates her successful career' show. When she finally came up for air and took a breath after about half an hour the show got way better. The professional wranglers that are Keith and Chemda shone through once again and you know its going to be fun once the subtle teasing starts.
The Girl and Rommorwen like this.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Good to have Sue back on the show.
Came here to post "Jew Costello". Damn you.
Latch, Rommorwen and Scumhook like this.