Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: You heard the sports talk. Is Keith sexist?
Yes. Chemda's right about Keith. 37 35.24%
No. Keith is fine. 68 64.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree64Likes

Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Fuck you.

It's a pithy. I would have voted with you. But now, fuck it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #42 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

When feelings get in the way of Science...

Sad.
Sashi likes this.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #43 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Exactly!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Its already been said but yes, the dude should go watch his girlfriend but that's irrelevant to how interesting to watch female sport is. Plenty are, it's a case by case basis, (Tennis it's pretty close, Soccer it's a world apart) but at the top tier the mens equivalent will usually be better to watch because of the higher skill level.

Who's sexist? Chemda only dates women that are men.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #45 (permalink)

In regards to Brolo and Keith being called sexist, I think the problem in arguing this is that the issue is really three separate issues: type of sport, skill level, and sex of the players.

If the boyfriend doesn't like watching a particular type of sport or sports at all, that's one thing. But you suck it up to be a supportive person.

On the second issue, obviously it is more exciting watching professionals play and the excitement that surrounds the venue or broadcast. Guys don't typically just go to watch amateur games. Period. This is not sexist.

On the final issue, if the argument were that the man usually watches professional mens tennis, but cannot handle watching female professional tennis, then it might make sense to discuss sexism and whether male games are more exciting than female games. The argument went off on this tangent but I don't think the sex of the players was the reason the boyfriend was not going to games to begin with. He was not going because the skills of the players and the venue in general made the games boring.

Guys typically have a much harder time watching women's basketball as opposed to men's basketball. Women's basketball is almost never on at sports bars for example. Women's sports are just not as popular in our culture.

Still, given a choice between a professional women's game and an amateur men's game, I think many would choose to watch women over men. It is ultimately about skill level and not about sex. It happens to be that many of the skills are based on strength and at the professional level women can't, in general, compete (hitting a ball as far, throwing a ball as far, etc).
Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I just want to weigh in, albeit late, that I wasn't saying pointing out the differences between men's and women's sports is sexist. Saying, "I am not a fan of baseball or softball" isn't a problem. I tend to like a little more physicality in my sports like soccer and roller derby. I enjoy football more than basketball. I have usually played more aggressive sports, as well.

When he said that women's sports were not entertaining to him, that bugged me a little as a generalization. But I felt like until then I knew what Brolo was saying. He seemed to be saying that, in general, women weren't working as hard for it as men do. Granted, I think he was making a comparison between an amateur softball league and NFL, which is a bit unfair, but I feel like I was understanding his general point.

It was when he said that if the women were dressed in something sexy, that would finally make the sport interesting, that got to me. I know that Brolo is all about love, and he usually has messages that build women up instead of tearing them down. I felt this comment was out of character for him. Maybe it was just an offhand comment, but it was hurtful nonetheless. I assume that Brolo's 'Sexy, not Sexist' show is also responding to this. I am a bit behind due to the holidays. I just wanted to join the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Sexist Pig! How dare you point out that differences exist betwixt the two sexes!

Everyone and everything is always equal: AT ALL TIMES!!! #PC #
This was not at all what I was saying. Women's sports are not "equal" to men's. We could easily catalog many ways in which women are not equal to men, but that really is of topic. Naturally men's and women's sports are different. We can be different and that's fine. It is normal that it would interest people differently. However, it shouldn't be a requirement that women dress in sexy outfits in order to make it entertaining for men to watch. It's demeaning to suggest that. And this is what bothered me about Brolo's comment.

I feel that Chemda, in her questioning Keith, came the closest to this part of Brolo's comments and was right in what she said. I don't really feel that Keith or Brolo are sexist, but made a couple of comments that were.

There are a lot of ways that people, without even meaning to do so, are able to put people down, to separate them, or to make them feel "less than" someone else. Most of the time this is done without even realizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
I don't think Keeth is sexist. Women's sports are more boring than Men's sports, and less boring than children's sports.

It's just a fact. Women are not as good as men at sports.

Women are better at other things.

Like, er... Shit, I know there are some things....

Gimme a sec...

OK, got one - menstruation. Women are definitely better at menstruation than men are.
That one probably wasn't.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
When he said that women's sports were not entertaining to him, that bugged me a little as a generalization.
It bugged you because it's an opinion you don't agree with. There's a difference.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #48 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
it shouldn't be a requirement that women dress in sexy outfits in order to make it entertaining for men to watch. It's demeaning to suggest that. And this is what bothered me about Brolo's comment.
This is logical. Why the fuck didn't you say this in the first place?

Man Hater!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Neither of us ever said women don't try hard.

It's like us saying Kelly Clarkson is fat. Somehow you hear that YOU'RE fat.

This is so ridiculous that I'll happily push it:

Women are less than men at sport skill.

Whites are less than blacks at obtaining sickle cell disease skill.

It's okay.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

i don't know. people can think things are boring. i think basketball is awful to watch. i mean, i guess it takes skill and everybody is trying their best. still not into it. i would be more inclined to watch if there were stuff to jerk off to, but that really goes for most things. am i sexist or racist?