Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who will win Super Bowl XLVIII?
Brother Love and the Denver Broncos 23 46.94%
KATG and the Seattle Seahawks 26 53.06%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree45Likes

Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Just making sure she can follow her artistic dreams.
Scumhook likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Who is being goofy?
You, weirdo. I think everyone else knew I had to be being sarcastic saying college isn't a good thing for anyone.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #63 (permalink)

where is this assumption that not going to college is a declaration of chosen ignorance? i have to support to college system to value learning and knowledge?

college /is/ job training. that's the point you've all been making; how much more money i can make with a degree how many fields aren't open without degrees. all that other 'college lifestyle' stuff can be achieved without saddling oneself with lifetime debt; also i question this necessity for that experience like it's the holy grail of young adulthood.

Last edited by Sparrow; 01-25-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
I am targeting the statement regarding there is no value in the learning because you will not use it in your job.

I that generally notice a difference between those with the education and those without in my field. But I admit that is a broad statement and not absolute.

In my personal experience, Computer Science is valued more in the work world than the Information Technology despite IT being more focus on job training whereas CS is heavy on theory (and Math). I suppose this also colors my opinion.
first of all, i have enjoyed our back and forth. xoxo

secondly, there's a lot to agree on here.

it's not that i think there's no value in learning all the things of the world; i object to our institutional price tag of that pleasure in a world where information has never been easier or cost efficient to provide and access. curiosity and wonder are beautiful things; one ought not be pigeonholed, gouged, or else wise restrained in their pursuit. i consider many undergraduate requirements in this country to be exorbitantly expensive hinderances.

my opinion is also colored. art has a hard to name innate element-that isn't taught; it's just inside you and is seasoned best with experience both life and skill. i can usually pretty quick tell the difference between an art school kid and somebody who had the innate talent, knack, and drive and is just doing it. my preferences run towards the latter. as somebody who presents work, i don't much give a shit where anybody went to art school. i /do/ care about who works with you; if you were a good experience for somebody i know to be worth a damn, that's more telling than a diploma.

you're right, not everybody has "it," but the people in traditionally left-brained and rightfully degreed support roles still have to understand how the arts function including on that creative level. had my executive director not been able to understand our passel our modes of opperandi , we wouldn't have brought her on as a partner; we would have just had her set up our forms.

if colleges were open to re-think their curriculum choices, i think there's room to use all of that to our advantage. they don't teach creative processes (that yields creative decision making) to business kids and they don't teach business to the creative kids. those kinds of educational pairings make tons of sense because both of those industries graduates benefit and is why sometimes that home grown artist is light years ahead of art school cindy because they spent the last four years learning how to market themselves instead of recreating Monet.

at the end of the day my real grievance is the stigma still on people who choose to forego the college track. it is still seen as a lesser way to go about achieving goals and i think there are enough kids who and industries who don't benefit greatly enough for the cost from traditional college experiences, like i didn't, to at least open the conversation about alternatives for our young millennials about to make that choice.

there's no shame in not going to college. there's only shame in apathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #65 (permalink)

par examples of the sea change coming:

The Carrie Diaries is one of those young person's major network shows. a little PSA where it tackles all kinds of teenage topics. It's an origin story about Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City.

this week's episode she decides to forego college to take a fucking great job as a writer. her father did the whole rigamarole and she stood up for herself as an artist and in the end her character is allowed to follow her instincts with pride. that that kind of message making it to the upper ends of mainstream America is telling. a strong female role model for our young people making that choice not in a 'she's ruining her life way'

tl;dr college isn't bad, but please stop spreading around we're ignorant dummyfucks for not going.