Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Will you place any Super Bowl XLVIII-related bets?
Yes 14 23.73%
No 45 76.27%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

My dad had violent outbursts over stupid shit but is more supportive of me than I thought possible. The mental shit Chemda and Keith's parents are worse than the physical shit I dealt with, my god!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Chemda may not have her parents support, but at least she has Michael and Anthony to fall back on. And the support of her countless fans.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

What I sent Chemda on FB

"Hey Chemda, just heard your show with your brother.

I am proud of you and I know that everyone who listens to you every day feels the same.

You are an inspiration in not only the way you have created and run your own business but the way you are with everyone in your life; compassionate, understanding, loving, other words that mean the same thing. You get the idea.

I hope my daughter grows up having the values and nature of someone like you. I would be prouder than ever."
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's always good hearing from Michael. Even when the fucker says he's been fucking around in LA for the last 8 years, I still can't bring myself to hate him

And yeah, cHemmo hasn't been loved by her mommy. But fuck me, her upbringing contributed to make her into the psuedo-mommy that everyone here sees her as, so I say thanks to her parents for fucking her up so I have a great podcast to listen to.

She's got 2 good brothers, and a fucking legion of obsessed basement dwellers who hang on her every word. I'd say that she's doing better than most of us.

That's not to say she doesn't deserve all she has. She's worked her arse off. I just hope Keith doesn't leave and take his 50%.
campy and littlp like this.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Do boxes count as Super Bowl related bets?

#IBelieveInScience
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
blu

It's with episodes like this one that reminds me why I love radio/podcasting medium as much as I do.

Chemda, I got married 14 months ago and my mother wasn't invited to my wedding. It was very much a conscious decision on my part. In fact she has never met my husband, with no plans to in the future.

The relationship was always strained, and as I was a teenager the disfunction intensified to the point were it wasn't safe for me to live with her and I moved in with my dad. In the years following, she sued me and my father separately and I spent my last day of grade 12 testifying against her in supreme court.

Through all of that and more bullshit since then, I've come to realize that loyalty only goes so far. And while my 'real' mom isn't a part of my life at the stage I have so many surrogates that have influenced me more than my mum ever did. It sounds like you have that with Lauren's mum and dad. Family is what you make it and you have so many amazing people around you that whatever your decisions are, they will be supported.

Thank you for your honesty and rawness, you touched my heart and it's an honour to be a listener and hear your most intimate struggles.
littlp likes this.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Whoooweee...what an episode!

Well, as a parent of a 4 year old, I really appreciated this discussion. What hit home was "They won't want to see you". Parenting is harder then it looks, there are so many ways to fuck it up. BUT there are things about parenting that are no brainers like not having favourites and not decimating your child's self esteem. Luckily I only have one so he's my favourite and I try every day to tell him "I love you", "I'm proud of you" and some days I HAVE to say "I expect more from you, I know you have it in you."

My man is astounded at how close I am to my folks. We bought our home close to them so I could bring my son to their place 2-3x a week. They support me, stick up for me and love me unconditionally....BUT, they aren't perfect, there are hard feelings from mistakes they've made when it comes to my other siblings. So my experience was very different from my brothers. I was the Michael and my brothers where the Chemdas.

Again, parenting is HARD. Kids interpret things, meanings. I might have said "I know you can do better", he might remember that as "You didn't do it right, you aren't doing enough". It is intimidating but I try to stick to the philosophy of telling him I love him every day, I hope that glazes over any really big fuck ups I might be making.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Campy you hit the nail on the head. Parenting is hard. Well if you are doing it right it is. You never stop worrying over everything. Keith, Chemda, and the other comics on the show make me think about how my son with think of how I raised him when he is an adult. I am a bit hard on him when it comes to school.

I would also like to point out it is easy for people who don't have kids to say I would do this and never do that. There are a million reasons you break these rules you set for yourself as a parent.

As a mom though I can't ever imagine not wanting to be a part of my son's life. No matter what his job is I can't imagine not wanting to know how it is going. If he is gay or straight I can't imagine not wanting to know his partner and be at his wedding.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Great episode, this is the ideal medium for this kind discussion and anyone who listens can not help but measure their own relationships and relive their own experiences. Doesn't Dan Savage talk about how the only leverage we have with our parents is our time and presence? There is also a lot of truth to surrounding ourselves with our chosen family and eliminating those who are not supportive biology or not.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Dang. This episode gave me the feels. You are a wonderful person, Chemda. Between this and your Mental Health Happy Hour appearance, you've come pretty bloody close to drawing a tear from the eye of this grumpy British curmudgeon.

Keith, as ever you managed to defuse the tension like a savant. "Maybe Chemda was a splatterer..." - I have no words.

In unrelated news, I've just chipped in on the Kickstarter - roll on the marathon, baby!
bw81 likes this.