Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you have to shower every day?
Yes 49 62.03%
No 30 37.97%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Keith, if you need a show that hits the ground running and doesn't stop check out The Following with Kevin Bacon if you haven't already. The first season is on Netflix.
Cat and I watched the whole first season, but I found it got very hokey. If Carroll can kill him every episode but decides to save the murder for another day... Meh.

And maybe call for backup once in a while, Kevin Bacon. Maybe.

I liked all the murders that did happen though. They didn't mess around with that.
Sparrow and ImStillToni like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsterkel View Post
In India a woman is raped every 22 minutes. In South Africa an estimated of 500,000 rape cases take place in the country, every year. By your estimation we should just bomb these countries. Yet I don’t hear you calling for that. You said “you just know by what you read” (paraphrasing) but what if what you read is grossly disproportionate to the problem? What if you read about more church abuse cases because it is a more tantalizing story?
I don't think you understand what countries I'm bombing...

Also, you think we don't hear about all the other rapes non-priests are doing because it wouldn't be sensational enough for us?

"Another policeman is raping a child. Whatever. Tell me when you get a REAL story."
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPete View Post
Finally someone agrees with me that 300 is one of the best films ever made. I'm scared to watch the sequal in case they ruin for me like they did with The Matrix.
What I see whenever this movie is mentioned:

It's raining 300 men - YouTube
Sakugenken likes this.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

The church sex abuse scandal is so insidious because parents left their children alone with priests since they were deemed better than the rest of us. Comparing this with the conduct of any other profession is insanity.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

re: bathing

I started skipping days showering after local water was deemed unsafe so now I do one day on, one day off, & have noticed no adverse reactions. Perhaps less itchiness than before. Since Carolla was mentioned, how about twice a week?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

For clarification, Catholics are not required to believe in the 6 day creation.

Creation and Genesis | Catholic Answers

For further clarification, Keith rarely gets facts about Catholicism right.

For instance. Papal infallibility.

There have only been 2 Ex Cathedra statements of any Popes. Something has to be pretty spectacular to rise to the level of infallible teaching and it has only happened twice. The Pope isn't infallible by nature of being Pope but he can make infallible statements of doctrine.

For the record, I spent 14 years in the catholic education system but I no longer practice and disagree with the church on a wide range of issues. But if you want to trash something you should have correct facts. Otherwise you look like an idiot.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

The Kings of Theology, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsterkel View Post
Re: Catholic Rape Stuff
I think the problem people have with this is that it also seems hypocritical to condemn so wildly the church and by extension religion in overstating the problem. According to a survey 11,000 allegations (remember, these are allegations, not convictions – innocent until proven guilty) had been made against 4,392 priests in the USA. This number constituted approximately 4% of the priests who had served during the period covered by the survey (1950–2002). But according to the Department of Defense estimates there are also about 19,000 sexual assaults in the military per year. And there’s the public schools too - “An Associated Press investigation found more than 2,500 cases over five years in which educators were punished for actions from bizarre to sadistic. There are 3 million public school teachers nationwide, most devoted to their work. Yet the number of abusive educators _ nearly three for every school day _ speaks to a much larger problem in a system that is stacked against victims. Most of the abuse never gets reported. Those cases reported often end with no action. Cases investigated sometimes can't be proven, and many abusers have several victims. The seven-month investigation found 2,570 educators whose teaching credentials were revoked, denied, surrendered or sanctioned from 2001 through 2005 following allegations of sexual misconduct.” And also “According to a December 2000 report entitled “The Sexual Victimization of College Women” by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) at the U.S. Department of Justice, a college with 10,000 students could experience as many as 350 rapes per year.” So it seems to me the problem is that any institution of considerable size is going to end up having sexual abuse issues. So the argument is sort of correct that this is a nasty part of human nature and it is not specific to religious institutions. This doesn’t excuse the problem in any way - I just think the problem is one that wouldn’t be lessened much if there were no Catholic Church. Yet the vilification of the Church and religion by popular media seems unwarranted when not balanced by the vilification of other institutions or just humanity in general. The righteous anger seems unequal is all I’m saying. In India a woman is raped every 22 minutes. In South Africa an estimated of 500,000 rape cases take place in the country, every year. By your estimation we should just bomb these countries. Yet I don’t hear you calling for that. You said “you just know by what you read” (paraphrasing) but what if what you read is grossly disproportionate to the problem? What if you read about more church abuse cases because it is a more tantalizing story? It’s not as good a story to just point out how horrible humans are globally than to have a single villain character or a devious cabal to point at. That is more comforting because it gives us a bogeyman to point at instead of our own wicked nature.
Okay, I guess you're right, raping priests are okay (statistically speaking).
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
What! We need to back to the good old days when the Pope was always right. If the Pope can be wrong, next you'll be saying it is possible to have three Popes.
That's a fucking good point.

Once you start down the multi-pope road, then they'll be fighting about who gets to ride in the special car and who gets to wear the funny hat, and who gets to fuck the cutest altar boy.

Then there'll be one who says "cazzo" and another who says "va fanculo", and then all shit will break loose.

Just like a Japanese girl covered in oil, it's a slippery slope.
flerchin and ghauck like this.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

Israel has DST, but here it's until May. BTW I'm always surprised to find out what's important enough for me to take the time and write about on the forums. Lately it's only Candy Crush, Dylan Farrow, and this.
flerchin and Scumhook like this.