Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who did you agree with more re: spanking?
Keith 17 34.00%
Chemda 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree32Likes

Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Here are what your kids are doing when you're not watching

Yeah. Spanking is definitely the biggest issue on the table.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

My mom would lose her shit and whale on us with whatever she had around at the time...she broke wooden spoons on us, used metal spatulas, etc. I was terrified of her and hated her when I was a kid. Then all of a sudden, she stopped completely, never hit us again. It was years later that I put it together, after she told us about her father. He was an abusive alcoholic prone to violent rages. She realized she was turning into him and stopped. I guarantee my relationship with her would not be as good as it is today if she'd continued on that trajectory and kept hitting us. Parents claim they can spank only as discipline and not when they're angry, but I've failed to see that actually happen.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Spanking kids in school is forbidden in every state in Europe and has been for years, in Germany since 1980, can't be bothered to Google it for the other countries

So we have a whole generation grow up without being hit by their teachers and I don't see that whole generation being completely out of control.

In quite a few countries here it is now even illegal to hit your kids at home.
As far as I am concerned if you hit your kid you are teaching them that violence solves issues and also that you are only in control of them because you are bigger and stronger than them.
My parents never spanked me (or my siblings as far as I know), my mother once almost instinctually/accidentally gave me a small slap when I was in my very worst girl teenager hormone drama mode and she was more shocked by that than I was.
Rollin likes this.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnmyojiOmn View Post
You should never spank or otherwise hit a child, ever, for any reason. It's NEVER beneficial and it's NEVER the right thing to do. Keith, your weirdo emotionally abusive father hit you and you were shitting in walls for years. That's your success story? It took someone like Chemda to turn you into a human being.

Edit: the above is true for pets too, for what that's worth. Not even a tap on the head, not ever. "Pfft! It's not hard enough to even hurt him." Fuck you.
You are a fucking moron
Keith, thirteen and Scumhook like this.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I really enjoy Keith history lessons but I can't help myself because he left out some cool details so ... sluuuuuurp (blame my childhood obsession with Greek mythology because there was no Harry Potter then)

The guy who according to the story ran from the battlefield of Marathon back to Athens to announced the win only managed to announce "We won" and then fell over dead. I think that is an even cooler story

Nike is not a greek word but rather the greek goddess of strength, speed, and victory, her Roman equivalent (they gave all the gods new names) is Victoria.
flerchin likes this.

Last edited by Lanfear; 03-18-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Parents claim they can spank only as discipline and not when they're angry, but I've failed to see that actually happen.
these were my parents. i was sent to my room. they cloistered away in theirs to calm down. i don't remember the actual spankings so much, they weren't over the top or painful. then i got a talk and some hugs. the waiting part was the worst of it; dread, anticipation, their disappointment.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

1. Error is a noun. Err is a verb. Err on the side of caution or you'll make an error.
  2. Gas is a few hundred dollars per 1,000 cubic meters. Chemda is using a fraction of that. All the rest is markup. Heat rises, so let the downstairs people crank the heat. Over here, because it never occurred to anyone that people might have to pay for stuff, there is no way to shut off gas to a specific apartment, only whole buildings. If even one person is paying their bill, the gas stays on. Fuck me I guess for being responsible and paying my gas bill.
  3. Spanking is necessary to teach kids that sometimes there are physical consequences for their actions. I've only spanked my kids when they are doing something that would put them in danger, like running out in the road as I recall for my son once. I would probably spank them if I caught them doing something that was illegal and could land them in jail, like shoplifting or vandalizing or making molotov cocktails. I spanked my other son once for lighting matches in the kitchen. Its probably been a total of 10 times in 13 years with 3 kids. Chemda is right though: spanking needs to be done by a parent, not a third party. I've also found that intimidation works well with kids. Both of my sons have gotten to the point where I grabbed their chest and, in a one-handed curl motion, just lifted them up nose-to-nose with me. While they dangled there, helpless and unable to escape from authority, I pointed my other finger in their face and told them, "That's enough," and put them back down. It interrupts the behavior and puts a scare in them because they realize they are powerless. I only had to do it once for each son, and they both understand what "That's enough," means now. I expect it to continue until one of them can lift me up.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

My mom spanked me one time and to this day I never let her forget it.

Parents, don't be fooled by the seemingly quick fix that a spanking can appear to be. For that instant you'll resemble a monster, and you will NEVER live it down. It's the perfect kid ammunition to guilt you into giving them everything they want later on.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Different kids need different inputs.

My daughter (4) can be brought to tears with a stern look.

My son (2) openly laughs like the little cutie he is at the stern look, laughs harder at a raised voice, but snaps to attention with a little swat.

In most cases, disappointment and timeout are sufficient for both.

I'd pull my kids from any school that practiced corporal punishment, not that there would be any chance they'd be subject to it.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAP View Post
My mom spanked me one time and to this day I never let her forget it.

Parents, don't be fooled by the seemingly quick fix that a spanking can appear to be. For that instant you'll resemble a monster, and you will NEVER live it down. It's the perfect kid ammunition to guilt you into giving them everything they want later on.
So it's true for everyone just because you couldn't get over it? There are different cases for different families.
Scumhook likes this.