Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Did Danny Hatch ever try to trick you?
Yes 9 14.75%
No 52 85.25%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By PastaFace
  • 1 Post By jaredv1214
  • 1 Post By Keith
  • 1 Post By Sashi

Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

1945: With Friends Like These

with Chad Zumock

https://twitter.com/chadzumock

Share this episode: With Friends Like These (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fool Me Once

Danny tried to trick me into following him on Twitter by being weirdly funny... but I outsmarted him by getting him to block me.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
mkl

There is a decent amount of scientific literature around spanking that can be reviewed. It appears to me that the general scientific consensus at the moment is that spanking (not hitting in anger) causes developmental issues by slowing development and lowers the probability of the child doing well in school. Obviously it appears people can be spanked and turn out 'alright', but that is not to say they wouldn't have done better in school, or developed faster. My gut is that overall parenting behavior and environment is probably more important than spanking or not, but I will not be spanking my daughter based on current evidence...to be on the safe side.

Spanking and Child Development Across the First Decade of Life
Spanking children slows cognitive development and increases risk of criminal behavior, expert says -- ScienceDaily
Should Parents Spank Their Kids? - Scientific American
Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
There is a decent amount of scientific literature around spanking that can be reviewed. It appears to me that the general scientific consensus at the moment is that spanking (not hitting in anger) causes developmental issues by slowing development and lowers the probability of the child doing well in school. Obviously it appears people can be spanked and turn out 'alright', but that is not to say they wouldn't have done better in school, or developed faster. My gut is that overall parenting behavior and environment is probably more important than spanking or not, but I will not be spanking my daughter based on current evidence...to be on the safe side.

Spanking and Child Development Across the First Decade of Life
Spanking children slows cognitive development and increases risk of criminal behavior, expert says -- ScienceDaily
Should Parents Spank Their Kids? - Scientific American
One source say it only affects kids from birth to 9 years old and another says that there is disagreements about the results and flaws in the studies so if you are following these sources just start spanking on the kid's tenth birthday.
PastaFace likes this.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredv1214 View Post
One source say it only affects kids from birth to 9 years old and another says that there is disagreements about the results and flaws in the studies so if you are following these sources just start spanking on the kid's tenth birthday.
Neither of those statements are really accurate. The study checked children at age 9 to see the results. They saw children who were spanked were behind developmentally. They are not saying that at 10 the children were fine, or that spanking at 10 and over is fine. It obviously will continue to impact them beyond that, the study just only lasted until age 9.

The other article has a single psychologist quoted as saying he doesn't believe the results (although even he says spanking should only be used when other punishments are not working) , the thrust of the article was that after a 5 year review of the literature published on spanking that the American Psychological Association is recommending people reduce or eliminate spanking with a majority of the members agreeing with that. I linked to 3 random articles, there are literally dozens that support potential dangers from spanking.
Basically, if you prefer to spank your children you'll be able to find the minority of research that takes that approach, but the majority of the scientific community who has done research in this area at the moment appears to suggest that spanking is probably not a good idea for a variety of reasons from future criminality to delayed cognitive development.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

"There are ALWAYS a better alternative to spanking! ALWAYS!"

Oh, okay.

What does a "practice of spanking" mean? You get spanked the few times you try to get away with something drastic. It's not a "practice."

Tell me, what else does Dr. Drew, who takes celebrities with substance abuse problems that need to learn about humility and gives them a TV show that centers around their bad behavior, think?
ssgtballard likes this.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I think Chemda is way too "optimistic" about the state of education. Teachers don't know anymore about child care than your regular person. They just have more experience with it. They're not psychologists. Maybe it's different in the States, but I know in Canada you just take a one year course after you get through college and you can be a teacher. A friend of mine is planning to be a teacher. I listened to a few of his recordings of classes and most of the time is spent on stuff like, "Leave the door open when you're talking to a student," and, "Here's how you string together pre-written phrases from a book for report cards."

They're not miracle workers. To the vast majority of them, it's just a job. They just want to get through the day and not get sued or fired. I've had three teachers in total that I felt were actually trying at all. It would be nice if they knew how to manipulate students into being a better person, but they don't.
Jmsmittyroad likes this.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I've had three teachers in total that I felt were actually trying at all. It would be nice if they knew how to manipulate students into being a better person, but they don't.[/QUOTE]

I am married to a teacher, my brother is a teacher, and my dad and one aunt are retired teachers. I and my wife always tried to give the teacher the benefit of the doubt when my kids were younger. However, I ran into two that could not give less of a shit to be there and who were just being cruel for the sport of it. When they could not be dealt with by the voice of reason (my wife) I was called in to employ the nuclear option to assure them that their life would be easier if they just choose to move on to some other kid. I have no idea how kids with little or not home support make it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

30 mins in, Chad is mostly off the mic but keet says nothing, an interesting . . dynamic . .