Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are microwaves safe?
Yes 70 86.42%
No 11 13.58%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree73Likes

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
I am currently microwaving a Canadian midget.

I shall post my results when the testing is complete...
If a midget microwaves in a microwave, does it turn into a macrowave? Leave our Canadian midgets alone, we use them to suck the maple syrup out of trees.
Hennessy likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

i straight didn't have enough room in my kitchen to bring the microwave. it lost to the toaster oven. it's been over a year and i've been forced to eat less quantities of shitty processed food. i'm ok with that. plus, as thirteen said, everything comes out so delicious and not ever a soggy tie-dye of ice cold and boiling hot temperatures. try and crisp anything in a microwave.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghauck View Post
If a midget microwaves in a microwave, does it turn into a macrowave? Leave our Canadian midgets alone, we use them to suck the maple syrup out of trees.
I would guess microwaving in a microwave would create a picowave, or maybe a nanowave.

I wonder if the midget would get nanobot superpowers?
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleSoup View Post
The most likely injuries from your microwave are burning your mouth on hot food/liquids or dropping it on your foot while moving it.
you can make water explode.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Yes. You can.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBrebonicks View Post
After living in Japan for six years I came back and realized how shitty American food is.
in the wake of fukushima you should head back there

radiated whale sperm wrapped in seaweed > cheeseburgers

everyone knows this
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Fucking shit!!!

shoebootie and Hennessy like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

You'd pretty much have to go out of your way and get distilled water to get it exploding. The water from the tap has so much random crap in it that it's pretty much never gotta superheat. That said, I call everything heated in a microwave super heated.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

I think Lauren is just trying to take away microwaves from Chemda because Chemda took Heaven away from Lauren. Devious.
I think Lauren just needs to start saying, "I make healthier food choices because I don't own a microwave." No need to explain it further than that. If someone tries to call "bullshit," well they are just an asshole. However, when you make a blanket statement like "microwaves, aren't healthy." There will be a line of scientist, nerds and cynics waiting to prove you wrong. Honestly I can't really blame them either.

Also I wonder if the same parts of the brain lights up when someone believes in Heaven, hover-boards, the sinister power of microwaves and burying a loved one in a cemetery.
TAFKAP, Lanfear, Hennessy and 1 others like this.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok, so i'm wading into this whole microwave, GM, etc etc debate....I very loosely call it a debate because there isn't actually anything to debate. It's something that's really well understood and it makes me so frustrated when people start spreading such terrible misinformation about these subjects. It is literally comparable to the gay/anti-gay debate: there is no debate because we KNOW gay people are wonderful normal human beings who may be different in some ways to others, just as some people have blond hair and some people love eating pizza. The fact the crazy religious right creates a "debate" out of this is disturbing and scary and wrong.

So how does this compare to microwaves? Because we understand in great depth and detail about what happens when you microwave food, and it DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER! It can't cause cancer, or do anything else beyond what we already understand.

- Microwaves produce energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This is light particles (aka photons) and these are emitted at a specific frequency to be within the microwave band. Other frequencies of photons produce visible light and is harmless, other frequencies are within the ultraviolet and are harmful to your skin, and other frequencies are gamma rays and are emitted in a nuclear bomb blast: so pretty harmful! Some are clearly safe and others are dangerous, and they clearly do different things to stuff. In the case of microwaves it's a frequency that agitates water molecules. It's this agitation that causes them to rub against each other and causes themselves and everything else they are near to warm up. It also has a impact on metal (i'm sure we've all seen that before!) The key thing, is they are not really changing the molecular level of your food any more than cooking it on stove would do. it's just heating it up in a different way. Think about how oven roasting something will apply heat in 1 way, and pan frying will apply heat in another. Well microwaving food applies the heat directly into the food via water being heated. Dry food will not microwave properly because there is only the water in the air and low levels within the food to heat up.
To date there is no evidence that has been published in any respectable scientific paper that has shown that microwaved food has any health issues. This is really important to understand - anything you have read to the contrary is media hype or the publishing of lies.
Arguably standing in front of a busted up microwave might not be a good idea. If the microwave insulation (that thin metal sheet with little holes in) was torn out, or if the machine stays on when you open the door you are going to be cooking yourself from the inside! Easy fix - don't use busted up machines.

The next one is GM - or genetic modification.
We know a lot about this, and we understand the harmful effects. We know THERE ARE NO HARMFUL EFFECTS. Again, you need to understand what this is.
GM is a way of directly modifying the genes of plants and animals so that we can expose particular traits that we value, or to get rid of traits that we don't want.
Humans have been genetically modifying animals and plants for 10s of thousands of years. The techniques we have been using to do this have changed over time, but almost everything you eat has been modified through selective breeding. We cross breed to select the genes we want to express and this has lead to great advances in agriculture. What GM has done is just take another leap forward. Rather than spending many years cross breading the genes in or out that we want to have expressed, we can just dive right into the generic code and modify it so that we have what we want. This gives us far greater flexibility around what we can do and how quickly we can do it. It is possible we could GM a potato to be poisonous, just as we could selectively breed a potato to be poisonous - GM would be faster but selective breeding could get the same result, but it would only be poisonous if we made it so. The advantages of GM on the other hand are huge. Plants can be grown that require no pesticides, and less fertilizers, that have much greater crop yields and have higher nutritional content (the Golden rice project is a great example: The Golden Rice Project). This gives a very strong argument that non GM foods are actually LESS healthy than GM foods. The opposition to GM is generally played out by the wackos who are also against vaccines, use the argument that GM is "Playing God", and LUUUUV Jeesus...Halilajula!

Lauren - I love you! You're ace and you do live pretty healthy as far as I can hear. But make sure you understand what is actually healthy and what is not. If you want to be healthy you need to be getting your information from the right sources so that you can put all this effort and energy into the right things so you are actually living healthy. Admittedly avoiding microwaves won't disadvantage your health, and neither will avoiding GM - but by doing so and spreading this misinformation you hold back progress and leave people confused as to what is healthy and what is not. Also, all this effort into avoiding microwaves could be put to better use.

Microwaves save time and GM could save millions of lives. Lets get our facts right people!