Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is it wrong that movie trailers try to trick audiences?

Yes, it’s dishonest 39 81.25%
No, buyer beware 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

1981: Cinéma Vérité

With Taylor Ketchum and Michael Khalili

Movie posters and trailers that trick you, the price of weddings, The Red Hot Peppers headline Guantanamo Bay

Share this episode: Cinéma Vérité (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Assuming it's going to take the movie industry a few months to adjust to its new advertising rules, will you continue to be tricked in the interim or are you going to see a trailer that goes out of its way to not contain dialogue and finally start assuming it isn't going to be in English or see a poster in black and white and assume the movie it represents will also be in black and white?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I too have never understood "mouth breather" as an insult. It's kind of like calling someone an "leg-walker". Yeah, I could walk on my hands, but it's a lot fucking easier (generally) to walk on my legs and breathe through my fucking mouth.

What do these non-mouth-breathers do when they have a cold??? Snort huge boogers back into their lungs when the inhale, so they can avoid the dreaded mouth-breathing??
Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

You're all a bunch of limb hangers.
Keith, Bucho and bithead like this.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
I knew a guy that would always use "round head(s)" as an insult. I'm like as opposed to fucking what? square heads?
... and then Charlie Brown, the most round-headed character in the world, was referred to as a "block-head". It's all so very confusing.
Larion likes this.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
I too have never understood "mouth breather" as an insult.
Mouth breather detected!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
Mouth breather detected!
Fuck you.

I hope you catch a horrendous cold and your sinuses fill up with green snot, which hardens to the consistency of concrete.

Then we'll see who the fucking mouth breather is, you nasally midwestern arsewipe.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

In Portugal we have subtitles (we get mostly american movies here with some artsy theaters showing european or asian films). Right next door, in Spain, they dub all the movies and it's weird to watch someone else's voice on Angelina Jolie or Johnny Depp. I don't mind subtitles but that's because I'm used to them. But we don't feel tricked: they do dub animation movies and they usually play the original and the dubbed and write VO (original version) or VP (portuguese version). It's the equivalent of your BW, Keith.

Regarding weddings I never really understood lavish expensive parties. My brother-in-law got married a few years before me and my fiancée moved in together. My sister-in-law's father wouldn't have it any other way: catholic wedding with a party later. My brother-in-law got married as an atheist (it was an awesome statement!). After the party we were all gathered round and the caterer came to collect. I was shocked when my mother-in-law wrote the check... a single mother who raised her two kids mostly on her own, having to dip into her savings for a wedding they didn't even want in the first place. That was a turning point, I came home and announced I wouldn't want them to buy me a wedding, it's ridiculous and if I ever decided to get married it would be on my money.

My parents own three small appartments and one was already promissed to me. They never asked for rent money and spent the equivalent to 5000 dollars to renovate it. I would have never asked for a huge wedding, it's so unfair to the parents. Years later my dad would say "First you say you won't get married, then you are a lefty, then an atheist. Are there any more revelations?"... I didn't have the heart to tell them I'm also bissexual...

(fiancée means we're getting married soon, no church, no party, just the two of us and our son)
J. Canines likes this.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

I voted "Yes, it’s dishonest", but so is virtually every other form of Marketing.

Some time ago, someone on the show talked about how we are all bombarded with marketing messages... how it's become a marketer's RIGHT to post a billboard, or poster, or a giant video screen (ahem... Time Square) to get their message across to us. The idea that we could change this really spoke to me.

This past winter, I was in Sedona, AZ. Not only does it have a beautiful landscape and backdrop, but it would seem Government has severely restricted signage and building construction. Virtually everything looks similar, and there are no high-in-the-sky signs. Even the one McDonald's that I saw had a small, purple M on a half-wall constructed out of the same reddish stone/brick as all of the nearby buildings. It made finding what you're looking for quite difficult, but man was it nice to see.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mr_bithead
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbnail View Post
Years later my dad would say "First you say you won't get married, then you are a lefty, then an atheist. Are there any more revelations?"... I didn't have the heart to tell them I'm also bissexual...
Nice!

Thumbnail likes this.