Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1998: Make Some Noise! (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1998-make-some-noise-18648/)

Michael's Servant 06-17-2014 11:00 PM

1998: Make Some Noise!

With Dan St. Germain – Breaking up while in love; handjobs at massage parlors; listener feedback on Dave Chappelle; World Cup: America vs. Ghana; Macklemore sells $50 shirts; Tesla; ABC News producer Don/Dawn/Don/Dawn Ennis; cell phones affect sperm count; Mariah Carey gets goofy; Starbucks offers its employees 2 years of free college

Guest:
Dan St. Germain
http://static-3.keithandthegirl.net/...in-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Lanfear 06-18-2014 06:57 AM

ohhhhhhh trying to claim that the US is better than another country by mentioning healthcare, that is adorable

TeddyPicker 06-18-2014 07:05 AM

I wasn't particularly impressed with the treatment of the Dawn/Don story. And I was especially surprised to hear that Chemda didn't push back on Keith's impression and interpretation of the story.
Although the details of the story are true and there is humour in it, Keith's "I'm a lady now I'm a man" impression just reinforces a lot of really negative stereotypes about transgender people, which in previous shows Keith, Chemda, Lauren and Danny have tried to dispel.
A singular story like this sends out the message that being transgender is a humorous mix up and really men should stick to being men and vice versa with women. Being transgender can be confusing and seemingly difficult to figure out, but not for those reasons.

I kind of expected better during Pride month, but I know that the good the show has done about trans* issues (Lauren and multiple eps of What's My Name) outweigh the harm of this single story.

Keith 06-18-2014 07:16 AM

He came to work as Don. Then as Dawn. Then as Don again. Then as Dawn again. In that time he said he had amnesia and his wife made him think he was one of those Dawns by dressing him up and changing his ID.

It's a little silly to pretend he/she/he/she is a poor transgender that I'm picking on. Don/Dawn/Don/Dawn is a silly goofball that's making the workplace very odd.

NilFC 06-18-2014 07:29 AM

Signs, brought to you by the Five Man Electrical Band from, you guessed it, Canada.

(Ottawa, to be specific.)

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs (1971) - YouTube

Keith 06-18-2014 07:53 AM

Tesla made the song so much better that the Five Man Electrical Band has to pay Tesla anytime they cover it.

Thumbnail 06-18-2014 07:58 AM

As much as EVERYONE I KNOW loves soccer what Keith said is totally true. Soccer is the sport of poor people - one ball, one field, 22 kids, done! Then it evolved an now it's also a billion dollar sport on a professional level but it's the cheapest thing ever.
Also, on the 22nd we'll have USA-Portugal. We got murdered by Germany (historically dick-ish country) but let's see if we can kick (ah!) you guys out of the competition and give Keith and Dan some peace!!!

TeddyPicker 06-18-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824600)
He came to work as Don. Then as Dawn. Then as Don again. Then as Dawn again. In that time he said he had amnesia and his wife made him think he was one of those Dawns by dressing him up and changing his ID.

It's a little silly to pretend he/she/he/she is a poor transgender that I'm picking on. Don/Dawn/Don/Dawn is a silly goofball that's making the workplace very odd.

I wonder if they came into work, having transitioned suddenly, and were subjected to a lot of office gossip and bullying.
The amnesia story struck me as a desperate attempt to back peddle from someone who was deeply embarrassed about the way people saw them.

I don't think this is just a nutter who's trying to disrupt the workplace. I think it's someone who's experiencing gender dysphoria and the reaction they got when trying to express themselves was too overwhelming.

Keith 06-18-2014 09:33 AM

You're saying that Don made up the amnesia story and made up that his wife tricked him into thinking he was a different kind of person (which of course he did). I don't care what confusion he was going through, that makes him an asshole.

He has 3 children, but still the only excuse he can come up with was to put blame on the wife?

And then not take the blame back when he flip-flopped again?

Fuck him. She's a shithead. (I said 'she.' See how progressive I am?)

When I made jokes about Casey Kasem, I wasn't picking on all DJs. I was picking on Casey. When I make jokes about Don/Dawn, I'm not picking on all transgenders. I'm picking on this freak.

J. Canines 06-18-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyPicker (Post 824599)
I kind of expected better during Pride month, but I know that the good the show has done about trans* issues (Lauren and multiple eps of What's My Name) outweigh the harm of this single story.

If only there were room, in the thirty days that constitute Pride Month, for humor.

It would be interesting to hear Lauren's take on this story. Personally, I see no semblance between him and some guy, (who all his co-workers known is identifying male) suddenly walking into the office - dressed as a woman.

It's interesting you bring up gender dysphoria. That is a new word to many people on this forum. Could be applicable to this story. Might not be. Whether this person is experiencing it or not; to ignore the absolute fact that a person walked into the work place as a man, the entire time; then suddenly, (with no mention of his intention nor a courteous heads up) came in dressed as a woman - is cause for attention.

All genders should be treated equally. Absolutely. However, treating equally means that just like everyone else; we talk openly. We joke openly. We discuss. Being politically correct does no good. It is a velvet rope that cuts and separates the very people it is trying to protect. It removes them.

Wagging the PC finger-O-shame does no good. Now. Discussing this gender dysphoria and how it may apply - that might.

Keith 06-18-2014 11:53 AM

Who are you, Canines?

I don't mean the forum names you're under. I mean: Who are you?

How can sometimes you make perfect sense and then other times you're so retarded? It can't ALL be from drinking, can it? Are you bi-polar?

TeddyPicker 06-18-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824621)
You're saying that Don made up the amnesia story and made up that his wife tricked him into thinking he was a different kind of person (which of course he did). I don't care what confusion he was going through, that makes him an asshole.

He has 3 children, but still the only excuse he can come up with was to put blame on the wife?

And then not take the blame back when he flip-flopped again?

Fuck him. She's a shithead. (I said 'she.' See how progressive I am?)

When I made jokes about Casey Kasem, I wasn't picking on all DJs. I was picking on Casey. When I make jokes about Don/Dawn, I'm not picking on all transgenders. I'm picking on this freak.

Definitely agree with you on the asshole front. Throwing your wife under the bus because you're feeling shitty is no excuse.

I think the thing that got to me was more that there is already a fairly prevalent stereotype that transgender people are confused and flip-flop on their identity, to push a story like this reinforces that. Unlike racism or even sexual identity, people are so unfamiliar with trans* issues, that simple, singular stories like this do a lot more damage than other 'oh what a fucking idiot example of X' stories that are also on the show.

Thumbnail 06-18-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyPicker (Post 824631)
I think the thing that got to me was more that there is already a fairly prevalent stereotype that transgender people are confused and flip-flop on their identity, to push a story like this reinforces that. .

Totally agreed. Not to sound like a lunatic but this is part of the agenda to discredit all that is not straight. I'm actually surprised they couldn't find a black guy to flip flop and make it a full house. But again, not to be a conspiracy theorist.
*why is there a red dot on my chest?*

Keith 06-18-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyPicker (Post 824631)
I think the thing that got to me was more that there is already a fairly prevalent stereotype that transgender people are confused and flip-flop on their identity, to push a story like this reinforces that. Unlike racism or even sexual identity, people are so unfamiliar with trans* issues, that simple, singular stories like this do a lot more damage than other 'oh what a fucking idiot example of X' stories that are also on the show.

So I have to ignore the whole story so no one gets confused?

Or between sentences of the story do I need to Myq Kaplan it with, "but this is rare and doesn't represent all transgenders. Also one should say 'transgender' not a 'transgendered person.' Also a rug can be oriental, but a person can't be oriental..."

I gotta live, baby.

bluenova 06-18-2014 12:40 PM

Keith's impression of the boss changing from Don to Dawn reminds me of when Mr. Garrison became Ms. Garrison on Southpark season 9
(Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina). The whole episode is available to watch online on the southpark site , but here's a clip for a taste of it:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...-out-my-vagina

canuck8122 06-18-2014 01:40 PM

It was mentioned briefly at the beginning, but based on Dante's appearance on KATG, I started listening, and it's a pretty good show, would be cool if the KATG Network could pick them up...but what do I know about business stuff...

Anyway, the Beige Phillip Show with Dan and Kelly F was fantastic, almost as fantastic as this episode!

Chemda "I would sooner jerk some weirdo off than make out with him" - this sounds like a Wishmaster Choice!

Lanfear 06-18-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824635)
So I have to ignore the whole story so no one gets confused?

Or between sentences of the story do I need to Myq Kaplan it with, "but this is rare and doesn't represent all transgenders. Also one should say 'transgender' not a 'transgendered person.' Also a rug can be oriental, but a person can't be oriental..."

I gotta live, baby.

Yeah nobody can't be politically correct all the time but would it really kill the flow of the show to sneak in a sentence on 'wow this whackadoo is really making it harder for transgender people to be taken serious all around' and then continue the jokes?

Also let's not pretend that there weren't jokes flying everywhere when the guy first was mentioned on the show before he got up on all the crazy amnesia shenanigans.

Keith 06-18-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 824640)
would it really kill the flow of the show to sneak in a sentence on 'wow this whackadoo is really making it harder for transgender people to be taken serious all around' and then continue the jokes?

Obviously it would.

Lanfear 06-18-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824642)
Obviously it would.

Make Chemda say it - you are comfy, she gets bonus points with her man, everybody wins

Tomrl94 06-18-2014 03:00 PM

Soccer is ''gay'', boring, and for poor people? Guess I can't like now. Shame, I was really enjoying this World Cup.

J. Canines 06-18-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824629)
Who are you, Canines?

I don't mean the forum names you're under. I mean: Who are you?

How can sometimes you make perfect sense and then other times you're so retarded? It can't ALL be from drinking, can it? Are you bi-polar?

I'm a writer.

When Stephen Colbert plays a character; do you call him bi-polar?

dannyhatch 06-18-2014 04:58 PM

Did you really just try to tell us that you are playing a character?

J. Canines 06-18-2014 06:05 PM

How is that impossible?

If I just agree and say I'm bipolar does that answer all the questions? Does contrarian behavior constitute a bipolar diagnosis?

Is it that hard to believe that I'm posting solely to have my words read on my favorite podcast? By any means any identity necessary? Any viewpoint necessary??

Scumhook 06-18-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Canines (Post 824662)
How is that impossible?

If I just agree and say I'm bipolar does that answer all the questions? Does contrarian behavior constitute a bipolar diagnosis?

Is it that hard to believe that I'm posting solely to have my words read on my favorite podcast? By any means any identity necessary? Any viewpoint necessary??

I think the first thing we need to establish is if we're talking to Enunciated Don or Enunciated Dawn.

Keith 06-18-2014 06:16 PM

You're so goofy that I said a point you made on the show but I couldn't credit you cause everyone would roll their eyes.

Be yourself. See how it goes for a bit.

J. Canines 06-18-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyhatch (Post 824657)
Did you really just try to tell us that you are playing a character?

Like you've never "played the role" or inhabited a character in your writing. Come on Danny.

I'll say this tho. If me being bipolar subsequently equals a pass for years of crazy mean posts(you know cuz I'm crazy and its out of my control) then I'm bipolar.

Honestly, I just think I'm a sad person. A sad person who is stuck in redneck hell with no creative outlet. I'm like the lonely housewife who flirts online. I create what I want to escape.

I have to. I can't afford drugs and I'm getting too old to endure hangovers

J. Canines 06-18-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 824664)
You're so goofy that I said a point you made on the show but I couldn't credit you cause everyone would roll their eyes.

You forget years of posting as EP and going uncredited. You make an excellent point tho.

It just doesn't matter. There is a KATG community and I ain't a part of it. That's fine. I don't want to write on this forum and censor myself just so Lanfear points out how I'm not conforming to the stated liberal mantra.

Everyone gets to enjoy KATG in their own respective way. That's what I love about it. Everybody gets to participate . I'm going to keep my involvement on my own terms unless of course I upset you or Chemda and get banned...in which case it's your terms...but whatever.

I love the show. I love the fans. I love the community...even if I am on the periphery, watching like some weirdo from afar...meh. So be it.

At least it generates something fun to bitch about in chat ;)

J. Canines 06-18-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scumhook (Post 824663)
I think the first thing we need to establish is if we're talking to Enunciated Don or Enunciated Dawn.

Well my dick is out whenever I post...so...yeah

dannyhatch 06-18-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Canines (Post 824666)
Like you've never "played the role" or inhabited a character in your writing. Come on Danny.

I'll say this tho. If me being bipolar subsequently equals a pass for years of crazy mean posts(you know cuz I'm crazy and its out of my control) then I'm bipolar.

Don't compare my fictional writing to your insane rants. And don't compare being bipolar with being a jerk.

lizsquiz 06-18-2014 08:06 PM

If you insist you are on the periphery it is only because you keep saying that you are. Going on posting sprees and then deleting sprees also doesn’t help people have a real discourse with you. People raise opposing views on these forums all the time. In this very thread, in fact.

WittyReference 06-18-2014 08:15 PM

Surely the wife has a comeback to her husbands version of events?

Not once listening to this story did I think about deeper trans issues then, what's up with this person? Amnesia for fucks sake.

J. Canines 06-18-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyhatch (Post 824671)
And don't compare being bipolar with being a jerk.

So, are you being Mean Danny or just regular Danny?

I can't tell.

invader 06-18-2014 10:27 PM

Keith was awesome on Beige Philip. I also think that Mara has to sell her brand. She is on and promoting a show where Dante is giving men advice on dating and relationships. She can't very well say that she isn't into Dante and its never going to happen. It would weaken the brand.

I never got into the idea of happy-ending massages. But a happy-ending massage where you get to rub the "masseuse's" butt while she mocks you. That is exactly the kind of weird sexual interaction I'd be willing to pay top dollar for.

Dave Chappelle interview, I was going back through all the interviews Dave Chappelle did on youtube, then came across an edited version of the time he was Interviewed by James Lipton. (it starts around 3:30) In the interview he touched on a lot of points and makes it easy to infer the reasons why he left. But he also explicitly says; "... and they don't know what happened. I have not spoken about what would make a person walk of the set of a successful show and go to Africa." So Keith, you were right. I was just inferring all this time.

Scat 06-18-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invader
I never got into the idea of happy-ending massages. But a happy-ending massage where you get to rub the "masseuse's" butt while she mocks you. That is exactly the kind of weird sexual interaction I'd be willing to pay top dollar for.

That story was hilarious.

And I know the original song 'Signs' from a best of Canadian music CD the family had growing up called 'Oh What a Feeling'. The song would sometimes get radio play too. I had never heard of Tesla until Keith mentioned them recently.

rodimusprime 06-19-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 824643)
Make Chemda say it - you are comfy, she gets bonus points with her man, everybody wins

"Make Chemda say it." :confused:

That doesn't seem very progressive at all.

robotparker 06-19-2014 08:39 AM

Aaaaaanyways, getting back to beards:

Beard sun protection - MensJournal.com

"Beards can reduce anywhere from 50-95 percent of the ultraviolet (UV) rays reaching the skin underneath, according to a study conducted by researchers in Australia. "Facial hair has an Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) of anywhere from 2 to 21," says Alfio Parisi, one of the study's authors and professor of radiation physics at University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba."

Keith 06-19-2014 08:55 AM

Ah! Now I get it! It's a health thing for the summer!

J. Canines 06-19-2014 09:24 AM

Mike Lawrence's beard is blocking roughly 38% of all UV rays worldwide.