Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you sing along at concerts?
Yes 46 85.19%
No 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree31Likes

Old 06-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghauck View Post
This one time I was enjoying a Mountain Goats concert......wait sorry all. I was lying, nobody goes to enjoys a Mountain Goats concerts.

**I'll take my yellow card medal & trophy for un highly necessary rudeness at Danny's expense now**
fix'd
ghauck likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

I used to work at the county library for a very small town in rural Georgia. Occasionally, we'd get local reprobates that were court-ordered to perform community service volunteering there. I was a secret atheist back then, but that ended when this one particularly chatty criminal asked me what I church I go to while me and the rest of the staff (which was 100% old church ladies) were just chilling behind the front desk.

Me: Uh, I don't really go to church.
Him: Oh, so you're like an agnostic?
Me: (lookin' around nervously) Umm, I guess I'm more like an atheist.
Him: Oh ok, so you're not sure what you believe?
Me: Well...no, I'm pretty sure I know.
Him: Oh...

Everyone was quiet for a real long time until I found an excuse to go hide out in the stacks. After that, every couple of days I would religious tracts in my locker. It was tense for a few weeks, but then 9/11 happened and every one kind of forgot about it. Whew, what a relief!

Also, for what it's worth: I got dragged to a Mountain Goats concert once having never really listened to them before. It was cool! The singer was super charismatic and told great, funny stories and really made an effort to interact with the crowd even though it was a big venue. Although I don't know if I necessarily need to drive around listenin' to them.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

After some reflection, I realize now that's a pretty piss-poor example of workplace discrimination.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I always wear ear plugs when I can, but they are not the personally moulded ones ( which are great and don't fuck with the sound at all, JUST the volume) - they are the stock yellow foam ones that knock every good frequency there is out AND cut the volume down. So I have them sitting just in my ears so that my ears don't rattle and I can still hear. Really should get some fitted ones though.

At the Soundwave festival this year I watched Gojira who are a French metal band. Like the support at Tesla, these guys sounded so genuinely appreciative in the calmest, French accented English you've ever heard;

"Thank you. Thank you so much you guys. We feel so happy to play for you today. Now here is our next song, The Heaviest Matter of the Universe" (brains explode from how heavy the music).

Metal crowds are the nicest crowds I've been in. Though you do get some scary looking people, everyone really seems into the music and you feel part of a group of appreciative music fans. At other shows it seems that you have to be drunk as fuck, talk during the songs and yell at the band that you paid to see. I don't get it.

I listen to a lot of heavy music these days which means I go solo often, not a lot of friends into the music. But I don't care, I get to go watch in peace and really be present instead of talking mid-song and not even hearing what each other are saying anyway. If I've brought someone along I feel I have to babysit them and check in between every song when all I want to do is watch and occasionally lose my voice singing along. There are no worries about friends judging you for getting TOO excited about that two note riff that just melted your groove.

Fuck I love me some live music.
Bucho, Tech007 and J. Canines like this.

Last edited by bw81; 06-29-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Re: LOL at show comments.

Not 'upset' about anything, just giving my side of the coin... Hey, was it Joyce ( or who?) that talked about getting a 'union talking to" from crew at a show - down a flight of stairs at a theatre?

I'm not sure if everyone is 'catching' my tongue-in-cheek 'tough guy' roadie sarcasm. If we head banged or threw metal horns on-stage during the show we would have our asses kicked by guys just like you! Gotta play it cool. bahahaha.

PS - we were the guys who used to knock the glasses off nerds in the pit. And lol all night long at them trying to find them! HOW we laughed and laughed...
Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

I can appreciate why Tesla is important, but "Fuck Marconi"? I think not.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Marconi eats balls as a main dish, and then he make a point to order a side of balls.
bithead likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw81 View Post
Metal crowds are the nicest crowds I've been in. Though you do get some scary looking people, everyone really seems into the music and you feel part of a group of appreciative music fans.

Fuck I love me some live music.
Agreed and Amen.

I saw Hank 3 aka Shelton Hank Williams the 3rd, three summers in a row, (without a new album release - I think) solely based on show and crowd enjoyment. He played rockabilly/country rock 1st set/ brutal heavy metal 2nd set.

The giant scary dudes in the pit never let ya hit the ground, (although I did wear the same pants all 3 shows, as they were covered in blood) everyone shared their weed/ booze outside, and I always got interesting stories from the gutter punk kids who 'rode the rails' into town.

If you wear glasses; make sure you bring a hardcase to slip them into if you get up front. A pit can break out - out of nowhere.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I have been to many concerts ranging from Metallica and Kid Rock to Train and Motley Crue, and every concert people are kind and happy just to be there, overly friendly and VERY generous with their weed!
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The only concert I've been to where I encountered jerklike behaviour was when I took my sister to see Justin Timberlake. That dance floor was every teenage girl for themselves.
J. Canines likes this.