Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you have allergies?
Yes 45 58.44%
No 32 41.56%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree43Likes

Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_p...ature=youtu.be
Keith likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
Gluten allergy is not a hoax. I know someone who has it and they can barely walk if they eat it. It's weird.

It's just incredibly rare, but it does exist. Gluten isn't wheat. It's the binder/ glue that they put in there to hold the bread together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Wrong, glutin is a naturally occuring protein in wheat, rye and some other cereal grains. It does help to make dough stretchy but it's not an additive.
Sure super rare cases of people being allergic to pretty much anything do exist but gluten allergy from everything I heard and read is bullshit or at least heavily overstated. Probably riding the coattails of the 'carbs are terrible' Atkins diet that also never took off to the same extent in Europe as it did in the US. Millions of Italians are not constantly suffering from having pasta every day.

Lactose intolerance is different as adult mammals are not really supposed to have milk (wheat&co are normal mammal food) and that's why it differs based on ethnicity.
Thank you evolution for giving me the enzymes to enjoy cheese and yoghurt. #fuckcreationism
jezna likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
To be clear, I didn't ask if it's okay to laugh at Shia LaBAEIOU. It is. It's very okay, and I will. Often.

I'm just upset that if he's sick it's taking away me being able to hate him.
Yeah, that kinda sucks. It reminds me of a dilemma I had the other day. In a huge bar downtown San Diego on Sunday morning, I was watching The Netherlands play Mexico in a bar full of Mexicans. I had money on The Netherlands so thats who I was rooting for. There were very few other Netherlands supporters there and it looked like they were too scared to cheer. I always give whoever I am rooting against a hard time, a little trash talk, etc.., all in good fun. But it seemed odd and racist to be one of the few white dudes in the bar talking trash to all the Mexicans. Nothing happened but It just made me think how weird it is that its almost impossible not to seem racist because of the nature of World Cup. Its set up to be nationality vs. nationality. And, Its probably a good chance for racists to go ape shit under the guise of Cup fandom.

Oh my point is, it was harder for me to hate Mexico, and I felt that wasn't fair.

Last edited by codefendant; 07-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Gluten-free people who don't even know what gluten is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJFE1sp4Fw
Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
something we do down here to combat allergies is eat locally sourced honey. little hippie-dippie homeopathic, but folks swear by it. are there any NYC apiaries?

edit:

there are!

Andrew's Honey

New York City Beekeepers Association
I've heard this also!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

To be clear, I don't REFUSE to change my diet. I'm frustrated with constantly having new information and alterations to my diet.
I also don't take birth control because I don't want a pill every day anymore. I'm willing to have terrible periods here and again as an alternative. I try to live the best I can with diet and exercise to avoid bad periods. I don't always beat it but I'd rather have my body disagree with me than mute it's language.
I will go to an allergist when I get insurance (I know I know). Until then, I'm self diagnosing the best I can with as much knowledge on healthy living that I can tolerate as a human trying to live a life.
I love you guys. Thanks for your concern!
flerchin and J. Canines like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

An allergist is definitely the way to go. My youngest daughter has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts, has very sensitive skin, and asthma. The allergist was the first doctor to prescribe a pill-form preventative for asthma during peak seasons only. Off-season, she takes no pills, and rarely needs a puffer. Puffers are a nasty steroid (that works really quickly mind you), but it's amazing to be avoiding medication 80% of the time.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Oh you.
flerchin likes this.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Chemda, the allergist will test the shit out of you and pinpoint your allergies to the type of tree you're alergic to. It's amazing, really.

The not taking a pill every day... I get it, I really do. But I kinda work like Keith: I take a pill for my allergies every day during allergy season or when the polen that I'm most affected by is in the air and then I take one whenever I feel it coming. In the winter I spend 3 months without a pill.

Also, birth control is linked to the prevention of some kinds of cancer, my OBGYN is super against excessive medication but she recomends the pill for most women. Still, I get that psychologicaly it's difficult to identify yourself with person-who-takes-lots-of-pills because that's associated with old age or poor health.

My only point here is that with modern medicine there is zero reason for one to suffer with allergies when the answer is in one tiny pill who doesn't even make you sleepy anymore.
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #30 (permalink)

As someone who has had to make some radical decisions to my diet on a pretty much constant basis over the last... god, forever, I understand your frustration Chemda. As well as the allergy avenue.

Being in Canada, I've been able to see just about every doctor you wouldn't ever want to see to try and figure things out. The diet was something they were useless about, and much of that is due to how damn complex our stomachs are, they are an entire system. Eat the wrong things and for too long, throw off your stomach chemistry and nothing works right. Your comment about the belching for no reason makes me concerned. For me, it meant I had an ulcer and there are easy solutions to solving that. Make no mistake, though, leaving a digestive issue like that, especially if it IS an ulcer, is dangerous and foolish if you care about yourself and if Land cares about you. Going to see a doctor now and getting some tests done is a lot better than the alternative if it IS something serious.

To be honest, it might not be anything. Excessive belching might mean nothing, but consider what the costs are before deciding against a doctor.

Now, regarding allergies. Seeing as my allergies have changed dramatically over the years, worsening to a very significant degree, I've done my studying and have talked to some of the best doctors about it. The simple nitty gritty about allergies is this...

If you are sneezing, coughing and fighting with allergy symptoms, what it means is that your body is FLOODING you with histamines, an immune reaction to a foreign contaminant. Maybe it's ragweed, dust, dander, whatever... Your body sees it and says "FUCKIN' HELL, ATTACK!!!" and it's like you're slamming down on the gas pedal in your car. Do you ever wonder why you feel so drained after a day of suffering with allergies? Why it feels like you could pass out for days? It's because your body has been on overload trying to attack the allergens in your system and does so non stop. Even though they technically aren't harmful and can't really hurt you, your body doesn't know it and still tries to fight them.

Consider this, if you had a problem with your body and your blood didn't clot properly, meaning that if you got a cut and you wouldn't stop bleeding, would you take a pill for that? I see allergies as similar, your body is unable to properly regulate itself thanks to the generations before us that have changed exactly how we live on a day to day basis.

Just consider this one fact... in 1910 the average human consumed 10 pounds of sugar PER YEAR. By 1990, it was 152 pounds PER YEAR. And that's only a fraction of the bigger picture. We eat everything processed and put through a million different steps to get it to our table. Even the stuff that's perfect and organic is still a bastardization of what we used to consume even as little as 100 years ago. Now, that doesn't mean we should just give up and say fuck it, but it means that along with taking medication to help our situation, trying to eliminate some garbage from our diet is important as well. These things go hand and hand.

You say you don't want to take a pill every day, and I get that, but the alternative is a massive, drastic and impossible change in life that you either have to live with the fact that your body, every day, is going to basically put you through a constant marathon and run you down over and over and over again.

It sucks, I have a few pills I take for pain/depression/allergies and if I could get rid of them, I would in a heartbeat. The alternative, however, is significantly worse. I say this as someone who has met you, and has been listening for almost as long as my kids have been alive.

No matter what you do, you're awesome and I'm not going anywhere, but I sure as hell would like to see someone I respect greatly get the help they need and not deny a treatment that is heavily proven (anti histamines have been used for over 60 years) and could provide your overworked body much needed relief. There are many different medications that work for different people, as well. So if one causes you side effects, or doesn't seem to be helping, like car insurance there are options. If you decide to do it, don't give up if you have one misstep with a specific medication.
da_ticklah and Thumbnail like this.