Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is our food unsafe because of chemicals?
Yes. If these chemicals were safe companies would list them on the package. 27 40.30%
No. Everything is a chemical as it is. 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree110Likes

Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post
Although while we're on the subject: https://theconversation.com/terminat...ment-day-21686
This was interesting. I've never heard the 'suicide seed would prevent GMO crops from further propagation.' Also, it is true that seedless grapes etc already exist with no uproar.

This article failed to mention pot. Many pot farmers grow sensimilla aka sensi. They deliberately prevent female pot plants from going to seed by pulling all the male plants from their crop. In doing so. the plant puts all it's energy towards the flowering buds as opposed to seed.

The majority of us know the wonderful effect of heavy laden THC plants versus seedy bullshit
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
Don't be coy. When you compared labeling GMOs to labeling vaccines; you implied some sort of public hysteria/ conspiracy theory.
My point was that the source of most people's aversion to GMO crops seems to come from badly researched click-bait, hearsay, and dopey celebrities.

Quote:
If there is a validity to GMOs being the answer to improved farming techniques and ending worldwide hunger; we've yet to see it. Better yet, HEAR about it.
If you're waiting for the information to appear before you, it might take some time. Fortunately, there's Google.

Bt cotton cuts pesticide poisoning : Nature News Blog - "The research also found that the use of Bt cotton helps to avoid at least 2.4 million cases of pesticide poisoning in Indian farmers each year, saving US$14 million in annual health costs." Obviously Cotton isn't a foodstuff, but the same principle applies: a crop with an innate resistance to pests will require the use of less pesticides.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/su...anted=all&_r=0 - Golden Rice is a special kind of rice that provides Vitamin A. "Lack of the vital nutrient causes blindness in a quarter-million to a half-million children each year. It affects millions of people in Asia and Africa and so weakens the immune system that some two million die each year of diseases they would otherwise survive."

THE STATE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE 2003-2004 1 - "Currently available transgenic crops and foods derived from them have been judged safe to eat and the methods used to test their safety have been deemed appropriate. These conclusions represent the consensus of the scientific evidence surveyed by the ICSU (2003) and they are consistent with the views of the World Health Organization (WHO, 2002). These foods have been assessed for increased risks to human health by several national regulatory authorities (inter alia, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, the United Kingdom and the United States) using their national food safety procedures (ICSU). To date no verifiable untoward toxic or nutritionally deleterious effects resulting from the consumption of foods derived from genetically modified crops have been discovered anywhere in the world (GM Science Review Panel). Many millions of people have consumed foods derived from GM plants - mainly maize, soybean and oilseed rape - without any observed adverse effects (ICSU)."

To be clear: I'm not saying that GMOs are some kind of risk-free panacea. I just wish Greenpeace and all the I'm-not-a-scientists of the world would just take a deep breathe and let the experts try to figure something out that just might help us all.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #83 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
Let me say this though. Both you and Jezna, (possibly even contrarian/ Michael?) made some interesting points.
Why am I being labeled a contrarian? I'm not objecting to harmful foods, I'm saying people should have a deeper conversation by naming the actual foods and ingredients instead of saying generic words like "chemicals" and "processed".
robotparker and J. Canines like this.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #84 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezna View Post
I will cede your point that apples are not inherently good for weight loss. My apologies for using the word "bad."

Your biochemical explanation is so unbelievably wrong.

We have the enzyme, sucrase, to convert sucrose to its components: glucose and fructose. Glucose is used by every cell in the body through the Krebbs cycle. Also, these components are easily converted glycogen, through the very common and very basic enzymatic process that all living organisms have. In fact, glycogen is just a chain of glucose. Glucose is the easiest and most basic form of energy that we have (again 1/2 of sucrose).

We lack the enzymes to convert fats to glucose (and by extension glycogen). If you know about diets, you know that avoiding carbs that contain sugars of any sort will use up these fat stores by converting the long fatty acid chains to ketones. Ketones are a less desirable source of energy for both the muscles, but especially the brain, compared to glucose. Your body, if not given sugar, will first use stored glycogen (glucose chains) and then resort to ketones, and being in this (smelly, brain fogging state) is called ketosis. This is probably what you were referring to.

Wikipedia links below for the next time you try to correct someone.

Glycogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sucrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ketone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ketosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My explanation wasn't 100, but the idea was closer than your post, imo.

First, I confused sucrose when I meant fructose. You're right. I meant apples contain fructose, which can't be converted into muscle glycogen directly.

And you're right that fat probably won't be directly converted to muscle glycogen unless you're in ketosis (which most dieters won't want to induce because of the side effects), so you'll need other carbs to replenish your glycogen stores after workout.

So my point is: eat an apple, and most of the carbs will be converted to fat instead of repleting muscle glycogen, then you have to burn the resulting fat. Better off eating a "healthier" carb that's either lower GI or has more micronutrients, and ditching the apple, which is "health-neutral" at best.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #85 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
When it comes to McDonalds vs random mom and pop, it'd bet mcdonalds was cleaner every time.

Rather than challenging me to tell you why mcdonalds isn't a sick company, please explain why it *is* a sick compnay. ::crickets::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Exactly. They're serving up crickets. At best.
So you're arguing that McDonalds is a sick company because they're serving up meat that is cricket quality?

I bet the quality of McDonalds chicken is the same as non-organic frozen chicken that you'd buy from a supermarket. I'd love to see any serious evidence that says otherwise.

What is it about McDonalds chicken that you'd consider sick?

Queue a non-answer in 3, 2, 1...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
I had McDonalds the other day. They made me park & wait, and when she brought my food to the car, my fries were upside down. Luckily, there was no one in the drive-thru lane, so I reversed back up to the window and said "My fries are upside down. Can you sort this?".

She said it was just easier to give me a new thing of fries, so I ended up getting a free medium fries!!!!!

Anyway, that's my McDonalds story. I'll let you fucking autists get back to whatever the fuck you're wanking on about.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #87 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Oh Michael...
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #88 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Oh Michael...
Keith has impressive skills

P.S. I fixed YouTube videos on the forums for mobile users.
Keith and BrianAlt like this.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
...BECAUSE PINK SLIME IS FUCKING RUINING...wait. Hold on.

This. This could go on forever. I shall retract my previous label of contrarian and replace it with cunning. Very...cunning.

Anyways. Hurry up and get good at stand up and make that album. You're definitely worth listening to. I'd even go so far as to say good to listen to; even when you're not worth listening to.

Best Compliment Ever!
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post

If you're waiting for the information to appear before you, it might take some time. Fortunately, there's Google.
Not gonna budge one inch on this eh? Ok. You win.

Tell me this though. Are you a libertarian?