Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Adults Only: Do you see yourself as an actual adult?
Yes. I am mature the way an adult should be mature. 21 31.82%
No. I often feel like a child. 44 66.67%
I’m literally a child who couldn’t restrain from voting. 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree30Likes

Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i wonder if the firing was more like a "anthony, apologize" "never" (i think he even tweeted it) and the execs sayign "well then youre out".

On principle its unfair but if you were a .librarian and you called people "animals" and made racist remarks, maybe you should be fired.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

If someone calling the sport soccer bothers you so much, you are in all likelihood not a reasonable person. Different people from different cultures have different names for things.
Junkenstein likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

Hey Dborbolla Fuuuuck Yoooou and welcome to the forums. Forum rule had to do it, kinda like getting jumped in.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I'm surprised at how often Keith takes what is to me the side of censorship. Here with Anthony tweeting angry rants or a few weeks ago when Keith asked if we should be able to make a movie that may enrage North Korea. Same old argument, but slippery slope is a real thing, especially when you're talking about rights.

With that said, O&A have bosses, and when you have bosses, you can always get fired. At least with a podcast you are your own boss, can only fire yourself!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJsScreename View Post
I'm surprised at how often Keith takes what is to me the side of censorship. Here with Anthony tweeting angry rants or a few weeks ago when Keith asked if we should be able to make a movie that may enrage North Korea. Same old argument, but slippery slope is a real thing, especially when you're talking about rights.

With that said, O&A have bosses, and when you have bosses, you can always get fired. At least with a podcast you are your own boss, can only fire yourself!
I do not agree with this bosses logic. Those bosses are middlemen serving a corporation that makes money on the extreme things that O&A do. That's it. O&A are the talent and the product. You pay these guys to be shocking and then don't have the spine to deal with the consequences. Where is the line here? What is too much?

I agree mostly with what WiredJazz wrote on this issue because it is along the same lines I'm thinking. That is, it is odd to run a show based on being extreme and insulting people and then get fired for being too extreme or insulting the wrong people.

I feel like this whole thing may very well have been a bit in a sense anyway. Who knows if the true Opie is even remotely racist. He provoked some girl on the street, happened to have someone videoing it, continues to provoke her, and then goes on the most extreme rant he can. Why not make a racist issue out of it? What better way to get people talking about you? I think it is all fake in the same way that Keith would go on a reality show and put his dick in the food to create controversy and fame.

Regardless though, whether this is a bit or the true Opie, it should serve the same purpose to his financial backers. It makes him a spectacle to be watched and listened to in some depraved way. Simply, it puts him in the news and potentially draws new listeners. And isn't that how his 'bosses' get paid? It seems odd that of all the things he has done in the past, THIS issue is the deal breaker.

Last edited by Mark Sandiego; 07-14-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
Invader, I never said to put your hands on someone. I was saying to call them out on it. Point them out.
I said that I've thought of taking someone's phone and throwing it but I take pictures of people also.
Episode 1942: Download this sweetheart. 41:35 mins in. It was when you guys were discussing cat-calling, this was your solution to it. This woman didn't kick him in the balls, but she did fight back and she even had dudes standing guard to help her out. Hell, Ant even had a weapon in his pants along with his gun. It's like you predicted it. Is there no part of you that is like; "Yes, finally one of these assholes gets what they deserve."

Last edited by invader; 07-14-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sandiego View Post
I do not agree with this bosses logic. Those bosses are middlemen serving a corporation that makes money on the extreme things that O&A do. That's it. O&A are the talent and the product. You pay these guys to be shocking and then don't have the spine to deal with the consequences. Where is the line here? What is too much?

I agree mostly with what WiredJazz wrote on this issue because it is along the same lines I'm thinking. That is, it is odd to run a show based on being extreme and insulting people and then get fired for being too extreme or insulting the wrong people.

I feel like this whole thing may very well have been a bit in a sense anyway. Who knows if the true Opie is even remotely racist. He provoked some girl on the street, happened to have someone videoing it, continues to provoke her, and then goes on the most extreme rant he can. Why not make a racist issue out of it? What better way to get people talking about you? I think it is all fake in the same way that Keith would go on a reality show and put his dick in the food to create controversy and fame.

Regardless though, whether this is a bit or the true Opie, it should serve the same purpose to his financial backers. It makes him a spectacle to be watched and listened to in some depraved way. Simply, it puts him in the news and potentially draws new listeners. And isn't that how his 'bosses' get paid? It seems odd that of all the things he has done in the past, THIS issue is the deal breaker.
I agree that it makes no sense but really it's disconnect and people not really knowing how to manage good radio. Also, Anthony, not Opie.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJsScreename View Post
I'm surprised at how often Keith takes what is to me the side of censorship.
What can I tell ya, I love censorship.

I believe what the God Hates Fags people do should be a crime. I'd like to see them in jail.

In Germany they can't wear swastikas. Is it sad for the German people that they don't get this freedom?

I get what freedom of speech is, but to me it doesn't cover hate speech, and we'll just have to disagree on this slippery slope business.

For example, you believe it should be fine for a KKK member to spew his rage on the radio. I don't. And I don't think otherwise innocent broadcasters would be hurt because of that.

People love to say, "I may not believe in what you say but I'll give my dying breath to defend your right to say it." Well, I think there are some things that SHOULDN'T be said. Also I would love to see you really give your last breath to defend Anthony's tweets. I'd love to see you swinging your sword and that's how you went out.

"Eric really believed believed in those tweets... RIP, buddy."

Quote:
You pay these guys to be shocking and then don't have the spine to deal with the consequences. Where is the line here? What is too much?
This. This is too much.

And Anthony wasn't TRYING to be shocking. This was rage and it was real, not something he's paid to do.

He's not saying it was a bit.

Quote:
It seems odd that of all the things he has done in the past, THIS issue is the deal breaker.
I feel like this is a second-hand opinion that I keep hearing. (You didn't even know if we were talking about Opie or Anthony, for example.) I've heard the show for many years. I'd really love to hear all these egregious, racist things he's done in the past that's worse or even comparable to this. I certainly never heard it, and when I listen to a show I listen to literally every second.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Sorry to be late chiming in but it is also called soccer in Japan (pronounced a bit differently because of the katakana syllabary).

Also I call bullshit on racists blaming their thinking on their age, if they do we should lake away their smartphone and give them an old rotary with a long cord and a black & white TV.
Keith and Bucho like this.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Keith should go on cruises more often if he's going to come back in this sort of form. Aces to the max best No Guest episode for ages.

Meanwhile, I've listened to a little bit of O&A and have no idea how they get mentioned in the same breath as Stern and Carolla. They have great guests but there's fuck all going on from the hosts.
Scumhook likes this.