Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: What time period is better?
1970s 10 16.13%
Now 52 83.87%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2017: The Good Ol' Days

With Joe DeRosa - Entitled people; obtaining medical marijuana; sobriety and AA; expecting to die

Guest:
Joe DeRosa

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I found this a very difficult episode to listen to because of the negativity towards AA. There wasn't much of what was said that I agree with or have experienced myself in AA and I worry that the discussion could put people off who really need it.

The comment about real addiction being as rare as someone who eats so much that they get stuck in their house seems excessive to me. I have only heard of this happening a handful of times, so does Joe really believe that there are only a handful of real addicts in the world? Why should I have to drink to the point of death before I can get help for an addiction? My Mum is a ‘functioning’ alcoholic and it effects everybody around her and has shaped my entire life, but according to Joe this isn't real addiction.

I don’t want to comment on every point that Joe made because this is a forum not somewhere to post open letters, but I want people to know that Joe’s view of AA seems very distorted by his own issues and he seems to be picking out all the negatives and not highlighting the positives. I went into AA when I was 29 when Joe would rather I drank for another 20 years to prove that I am really an addict. It has changed my life completely. And Keith, don’t worry my higher power isn't a lamp, but it’s also not a man sitting on a cloud with a beard.

Thank you Chemda for trying to balance things and not let the episode resort to AA bashing.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just listening to Joe's comments on AA being a cult.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPete View Post
Just listening to Joe's comments on AA being a cult.
stfu pete, you gay faggot

go grab a beer & relax
Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
stfu pete, you gay faggot

go grab a beer & relax
Hang on a minute Scumhook, I'm entitled. You have to sit down and listen to me and pat me on the back and feel sorry for me. Isn't that right Joe?
bithead and Scumhook like this.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPete View Post
Hang on a minute Scumhook, I'm entitled. You have to sit down and listen to me and pat me on the back and feel sorry for me. Isn't that right Joe?
I'll pat you on the naughty place, which will entitle you to feel dirty and sorry for yourself.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

For the record, I agree with Joe's "lighten the fuck up" stance.

which, i'm sure, will greatly help his cause.
bithead likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Regarding the Vince Vaugn "gay" car joke, the problem is that some people don't see the word as having multiple meanings, while others do. So you get a clash of opinions on the meaning of the word. An example of when people accept that a word can have two connotations would be "black". There is a big difference between a "black" car (color), or a "black" car (style). It's similar to the South Park episode about the word "Fag". Both "Gay" and "Fag" can have two completely different connotations based on how they are used. Sure, the joke could have been said as "Dude, that car is very effeminate." Or "Dude, that car is very wussy." But that doesn't have the same comic punch as "Dude, that car is gay." When I heard that joke, I didn't think "Dude, that car is a loving homosexual relationship that should be respected." I heard, "Dude, that car is wussy." Same word, two completely different meanings. Same as Fag. Fag = asshole, or Fag = hatred for a homosexual. Either everyone will accept that these words will have only one meaning (such as the N-word), or we'll all accept that the words can have multiple meanings (such as pussy, black, white, bitch, cunt), or we'll just continue like we are and disagree about whether or not "Gay" and "Fag" can have multiple meanings. Hell, even the word "Friend" can have two completely opposite meanings based on the tone.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
Regarding the Vince Vaugn "gay" car joke, the problem is that some people don't see the word as having multiple meanings, while others do. So you get a clash of opinions on the meaning of the word. An example of when people accept that a word can have two connotations would be "black". There is a big difference between a "black" car (color), or a "black" car (style). It's similar to the South Park episode about the word "Fag". Both "Gay" and "Fag" can have two completely different connotations based on how they are used. Sure, the joke could have been said as "Dude, that car is very effeminate." Or "Dude, that car is very wussy." But that doesn't have the same comic punch as "Dude, that car is gay." When I heard that joke, I didn't think "Dude, that car is a loving homosexual relationship that should be respected." I heard, "Dude, that car is wussy." Same word, two completely different meanings. Same as Fag. Fag = asshole, or Fag = hatred for a homosexual. Either everyone will accept that these words will have only one meaning (such as the N-word), or we'll all accept that the words can have multiple meanings (such as pussy, black, white, bitch, cunt), or we'll just continue like we are and disagree about whether or not "Gay" and "Fag" can have multiple meanings. Hell, even the word "Friend" can have two completely opposite meanings based on the tone.
I'd looooooove for you to tell me about the multiple meaning of pussy/bitch/cunt and please don't try any "well technically a bitch is a female dog" bullshit
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

As someone that grew up in the 70s, I'll say it's easy to be nostalgic. The homophobia, racism, anti-semitism was quite alive back then. Add the Watergate scandal, which is generally pointed to historically and the original source of our distrust of the government, and it was a pretty shitty time. Americans were highly depressed about themselves, leading to a generally ineffective president that then led to the Iran hostage crisis.

As someone who loves the music and art from the period, I understand the nostalgia. But if you were there, I don't think you would enjoy it.