Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Tony Stewart be found guilty of murder?
Yes 17 29.82%
No 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree107Likes

Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Comedy Cannot Exist Without Truth

Growing up on Robin Williams comedy and dealing with his suicide is rough.

Everyone wants to acknowledge the impact. This man was one of the greats. Looking at the forums, (which always enhances a KATG ep) was nice. I like to see that fellow comedy fans like Dean and Scum-fuck acknowledged the passing of a great comedic force.

This being said. I've been on Twitter. I see the public commiserating and as a fellow fan; it was kind of comforting.

A+++ to Keith for being real on this topic. Fucking loved this ep. Do we love Robin Williams? Is it sad this cat killed himself? At the age of 63?? Absolutely. However. Truth in legacy is important.

Why is it when someone dies we only focus on the positive? Dude did some scumbag shit. In the comedy world, stealing jokes is an absolute fraud bullshit thing to do. You stole art. You stole what is most important to the art fan.

Love how Keith tied it into Michael Jackson's legacy. I grew up on Thriller. Most of us did. Is the music any less amazing? I still listen to it. I'm a parent. What he did terrifies me.

We as fans easily nevermind the atrocities of our favorite artists. We deify our artists, (especially in the wake of their death.) I have been listening to Dan Carlin's podcast Hardcore History. He talks about Revisionist Historians. These are people who try to white-wash and approach the intentions of wrong-doers in a positive light.

Loved how Keith threw Danny into the mix. Here's a comedian, (not unlike other true comedians) who agonize over authenticity. We love MNiK and TTSWD and KATG because it is an original voice. It's real. We all listen to other podcasts. We know the joke/ topic of the day.

Again. A+++ to Keith, (and also Chemda for playing the role of antagonist - a role that goes unnoticed) for making this ep something: new, original, and worth listening to.

Fuck man. We all loved Robin Williams. Let's keep it real and honest though. To do otherwise is re-writing history and teaches: nothing.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Why is it when someone dies we only focus on the positive?
as a courtesy and kindness to grieving family of the deceased. ya know, possessing human compassion.
Bucho, Lanfear, Jenni and 6 others like this.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Robin Williams 'World's Greatest Dad'

Williams played the father of a kid that accidentally kills himself with autoerotic asphyxiation. His character covers up the accident by calling it a suicide. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be weird if that was what happened to him
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #24 (permalink)

I generally found RW to be funny and many times to be fucking hilarious, although a lot of his stuff (including that latest sitcom) was shite.

I'm not a RW fanboi, and Keith's criticism of these wankers coming out of the woodwork to say how devastated they are by this death was spot fucking on.

Keith crapping on about this joke stealing was OK - he's entitled to his opinion. He named his sources, and backed up his claims.

He also called RW a piece of shit.

Marc Maron met RW several times, moved in the LA circles, and also interviewed him. Maron listed him as a massive influence and a great person. Keith's never met him and read some shit written & said by other people. I know who's opinion I'll be giving weight to.

The best thing to come out of RW's death was Danny's comment from the couch "Tell them that I've got a huge penis"
Old 08-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

People's reactions to this stuff on Twitter angers me too.

I saw this guy's response to Mara Wilson's tweet:

Really?! REALLY, BigBrain61?! You've been impacted by the death of a stranger JUST AS MUCH as someone who actually met and worked with them during their formative years?! REALLY. Wow. Fuck you, BigBrain61. And even if you have, DEFINITELY minimise the grief of someone who personally knew the person that died. "We're all as sad as you." Fuck right off.

/rant
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #26 (permalink)

Full disclosure: I like Mrs Doubtfire - thought it was a funny, light flick and he was great in it.

I also looove The Birdcage (this is due in no small part to the great Nathan Lane and the supporting cast - if you can count Gene Hackman as a supporting actor).
When Nathan Lane is practicing walking like John Wayne, he asks RW if he was doing The Duke's walk wrong, and RW replies "No, I just never realised he walked like that".

There's also a great line when Nathan Lane spikes his toast and screams like a girl. RW says "It's OK, you can always get more toast". Fucking profound, and it was a touching scene.
andsoitgoes and Tulipaloozi like this.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

I think people focus on the positives in order to cope with and get past the news of the persons death. You talk about happy memories, or funny stories not only because those are the kind of memories you want to associate with the recently deceased, but also because, subconsciously, you need to confront your pain before you can get past it.

The toughest thing about someone you liked dying is realizing that they'll never again be able to bring you joy like they did when they were alive. So by talking about your happiest memories you're confronting that realization head on, in order to get past it.

Was kinda surprised that Keith focused so much on Robin William's joke stealing. Yeah the guy stole jokes, and that's a really shitty thing to do. But it's not like every single joke in his standup routines was stolen, and it's not like he was a shitty performer either. Plus, his standup was a comparatively small part of his career and from all accounts, the guy was a truly stellar human being - and that DOES count!

So guess what i'm saying is that all the posts about his death and the #RIPRobinWilliams are justified and Keith was too much of a cunt on this one.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backgen View Post
I think people focus on the positives in order to cope with and get past the news of the persons death.
This may be true in a select few cases.

Mostly it's because people want to jump on the bullshit bandwagon.

Quote:
So guess what i'm saying is that all the posts about his death and the #RIPRobinWilliams are justified
See above.

Quote:
Keith was too much of a cunt on this one.
It's the #RIPRobinWilliams crew's right to crap on about someone they don't know; just like it's Captain Sleeveless's right to do the same.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
This may be true in a select few cases.

Mostly it's because people want to jump on the bullshit bandwagon.

See above.

It's the #RIPRobinWilliams crew's right to crap on about someone they don't know; just like it's Captain Sleeveless's right to do the same.
Oh Captain, my Captain!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Was kinda surprised that Keith focused so much on Robin William's joke stealing.

From all accounts, the guy was a truly stellar human being!
From all of them.
(Online)   Reply With Quote