Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is there more to Keith than meets the eye?
Yes 44 53.66%
No 38 46.34%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree125Likes

Old 09-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #61 (permalink)

Idk about spankings. I grew up getting spanked but like to think that I turned out alright. I agree with g001dfinger but to a degree. I've seen situations where parents have never touched their children and get walked over by them. They tell them to go to time out. The kids tells them to fuck off. Hopefully at some point we will evolve enough to where verbal acknowledgment works. My younger cousin would laugh in your face if you told him to go to time out. And his parents tried EVERYTHING before spankings. They even took him to the doctor which was also a waste of time. They would rather spank him than to have him walk around like a drugged out zombie with no emotions.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

G001dfinger,

When I said "use words", I didn't mean bad ones.
I'm not saying use ANY words.
lizsquiz likes this.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #63 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g001dfinger View Post
Chemda and BK want to act all holier than thou with the child discipline of "use your words" instead of moderate physical discipline, but they completely ignore the fact that "words" can have severe consequences on a child. It could easily be more abusive (mentally) than a spanking.
I am a parent. Do you have children? I use words over physical discipline each and every time. What kind of discipline do you use?
bithead likes this.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Doesn't Chemda have to go to a psychiatrist and has a horrible relationship with her parents?
First of all, talking things out with a therapist is never a sign of weakness. In fact, it is a positive/ good thing. Perhaps you yourself should give it a try; rather than reacting like it somehow suggests people are flawed for trying to gain better insight into their life. Haven't you ever asked for 'another pair of eyes' to look at something/ get someone else's opinion? That is what talk therapy is.

Also, I fail to understand how a fellow KATG fan would point out Chemda's relationship with her parents, as if it were on her. It's common knowledge they are fundamentalist, practicing Jews. Of course they don't get along. It would be impossible for them to.

You are inaccurate and hurtful. Are you really THIS attached to your thoughts on the matter?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
In general people are dumb.
This part I agree with - wholeheartedly
Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
First of all, talking things out with a therapist is never a sign of weakness. In fact, it is a positive/ good thing. Perhaps you yourself should give it a try; rather than reacting like it somehow suggests people are flawed for trying to gain better insight into their life. Haven't you ever asked for 'another pair of eyes' to look at something/ get someone else's opinion? That is what talk therapy is.

Also, I fail to understand how a fellow KATG fan would point out Chemda's relationship with her parents, as if it were on her. It's common knowledge they are fundamentalist, practicing Jews. Of course they don't get along. It would be impossible for them to.

You are inaccurate and hurtful. Are you really THIS attached to your thoughts on the matter?
downshift. he was illustrating how words hurt, broseph, with an example we're familiar with.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I use words over physical discipline each and every time
If your talking is anything like your posting, I bet your kid would prefer a vicious beating.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #68 (permalink)

do you give her notices of redaction after every lecture?
Keith, Bucho, Lanfear and 2 others like this.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #69 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
G001dfinger,

When I said "use words", I didn't mean bad ones.
I'm not saying use ANY words.
I agree that in a world where all parents had the developed mental capacity to properly communicate to a receptive but undeveloped child's brain, then everything would be hunky dory. But I would venture to say that many parents do not have that capacity. That's like saying, I understand Differential Equations, why can't you also understand it, it's so simple. Not everyone has the emotional wherewithal to properly talk to a child.

However, everybody understands physical response. As Keith said, he knew right from wrong, and he was choosing wrong. Words were not going to influence him. But his natural instinct was still to keep himself out of harm's way, and would thus behave as his parents' desired to keep himself safe. We naturally learn from pain. If you burn your hand, you stop putting it in fire. If you stub your toe, you try to not kick it on a table anymore. Many people cannot hear and understand something without experiencing it. You can tell a kid not to touch a knife because he can hurt himself, and many will still cut themselves and thus learn through the experience.

The point being, if you can parent with communication only, please do. But sometimes physical discipline can also be an effective backup. Use what you can to do your best at raising a kid to be a nice adult.

Side bar: I feel "timeout" is also be a physical discipline, since you are essentially restraining a child and putting them in jail (even if it is just "go sit in the corner").
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #70 (permalink)

I disagree with considering time-outs as a physical punishment unless you're actively standing there holding your child down. Your child needs a different style of discipline if you have to hold them down. Time-out is just a way of removing a child from activity.