Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Chemda a druggie?
Yes 44 47.83%
No 48 52.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I'm not denying privilege exists. Don't use it as a pejorative if you want to be taken seriously. I've been seeing this trend more and more recently (in Buzzfeed articles by bitter underpaid writers).

If someone asks you what church you go to, do you answer "hold on, check your privilege!" That's going to make you even less likeable to that person.

But specifically for Keith and Chemda, I don't see why Keith is more privileged. I'm not saying that just because they work together.
understanding privilege doesn't mean you have to be an asshole about it. being aware doesn't mean being snarky.

it's not a pissing contest. things just exist. he has a set of privileges that Chemda doesn't. that can be said about any two people.
Scorpion likes this.

Last edited by Sparrow; 10-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnihilism View Post
So "stoner" is the weed version of a functioning alcoholic.
if it's used as a crutch, maybe. the elements of weed and alcohol addiction are different. sugar is more physically addictive than weed, but nobody looks at you sideways if you can't/don't go a day without it. are we functioning sugarholics? are we still ruining our bodies?

not making a judgment call, just food for thought.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
understanding privilege doesn't mean you have to be an asshole about it. being aware doesn't mean being snarky.

it's not a pissing contest. things just exist. he has a set of privileges that Chemda doesn't. that can be said about any two people.
Don't leave it at that: and Chemda has privileges that Keith doesn't.

Privilege isn't that hard to understand. I was referring to using it as a pejorative, as when Chemda did when she said "ok privileged white man" to Keith. That's what I had a problem with.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #64 (permalink)

sure. snarky things are snarky.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
if it's used as a crutch, maybe. the elements of weed and alcohol addiction are different. sugar is more physically addictive than weed, but nobody looks at you sideways if you can't/don't go a day without it. are we functioning sugarholics? are we still ruining our bodies?

not making a judgment call, just food for thought.
I think it's fair to examine the crutch aspect in this context, though. Chemda stated on the show that she's using weed to deal with anxiety before going to sleep as well as a way of dealing with other health problems. If that's not a crutch, I don't know what is. If Keith stated on the show that he was using beer to get a good night's sleep, it'd be worth looking into.

This is especially true because Chemda has historically been pretty averse to using drugs of any kind, and THC is a drug. It seems worth asking what changed to go from "I would prefer not to use drugs of any kind" to "I would prefer not to use drugs of any kind, with the exception of weed". That's a pretty significant lifestyle and viewpoint change with potential consequences both minor (i.e., Chemda's interaction with her landlord) and major (i.e., weed is still illegal in NYC).

As far as addictions go, weed addiction seems to be pretty minor, but this show has examined lifestyle changes in both co-hosts that are much more nitpicky than one of the co-hosts changing their viewpoint on drug use.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #66 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
I think it's become "I would prefer not to use drugs of any kind, except the ones that are fun and not too scary".
I think it's become "I would prefer not to use drugs of any kind, except the ones that her partner likes and deemed acceptable."
I remember the episodes where she described only being able to smoke weed on Lauren's bed with nobody around and scared to leave the bed/island.

She loves him and trusts his judgement and has grown to like it in the process - I guess that's fair enough reasons to change your mind.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #67 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

I was vegetarian for a year and a half. I used to eat pasta or pizza pretty much every day. Around the same time that I was trying weed, I tried some alcohol too. I also have switched from milk to soy milk. I tried almond milk but didn't like it.
Sometimes, I get hung up on the same things. Sometimes, I feel more at ease with trying new things.
Life is an adventure... Or at least I'm trying my best to make it one.
I won't like everything but some things sure will stick. I'm not sure that that makes me the same person or not. I feel like I'm still me but I have varying phases in my life. It's going to keep happening. I hope that you enjoy hearing about it. And if you don't, I hope that you can understand that it's part if it. Whatever it is.
Keith, Scorpion, flerchin and 3 others like this.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #68 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Chemda is a successful entrepreneur in an incredibly cutting edge and difficult market. If she's a "druggie" Maybe we all should be. (please don't make me, I don't care for it)

All of this is missing the poignant segment about how hard it is for grown-ass dudes to make friends. Keep your head up Keith, I'll let you know if I find the answer.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #69 (permalink)

For what it's worth...

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME

"But even after controlling for nearly all imaginable variables — socioeconomic status, level of physical activity, number of close friends, quality of social support and so on — the researchers (a six-member team led by psychologist Charles Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin) found that over a 20-year period, mortality rates were highest for those who were not current drinkers, regardless of whether they used to be alcoholics, second highest for heavy drinkers and lowest for moderate drinkers."

Basically, heavy and moderate drinkers live longer than people who don't drink at all. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go chase immortality.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #70 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Molly vs. XTC... It seems that trusting the local drug dealer to provide some kind of purer form of a drug and stick to proper naming conventions is naive and simply beyond. When Chemda said she didn't have a test kit it scared me. Just accepting that the white powder she is ingesting is good because the last person who handled it is somehow trustworthy, well I don't get it. Does she know who made it and everyone who handled it between manufacture and herself or Land? At least with Nyquill millions of people are taking the drug with the exact same ingredients. (except where sudafedrin is regulated by the state like in Michigan, Walgreen's sells the full formula called Wal-quill Night Time but you have to ask the pharmacist and provide ID. IMHO Nyquill is shit without the sudafedrin.)