Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #71 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
... when humanity reached the point where they became aware of their place within the universe / when they decided to invent their own laws / instead of just mastering the forces set forth by nature ...
Except humanity really doesn't know our place in the universe, or at least can't agree on it. As for inventing laws instead of just mastering the forces set forth by nature ... the way I see it we invent our laws (and customs and traditions) as a result of our wish to master the forces set forth by nature, not "instead of".
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho
Except humanity really doesn't know our place in the universe, or at least can't agree on it. As for inventing laws instead of just mastering the forces set forth by nature ... the way I see it we invent our laws (and customs and traditions) as a result of our wish to master the forces set forth by nature, not "instead of".
Our place in the universe? Right here.

We're a speck of dust in the ocean of the universe. Are we incredible? Compared to what we’ve found so far, life and humans are.

One day we may become masters of the universe but until we escape the solar system we’re nothing. Our value is a self assigned one, based on cognition and the wonder of life. Life’s amazing but it might be a localized fluke that will never spread beyond our solar system or it may be prevalent in the universe.

I would argue that we invent our laws (and customs and traditions) as a result the forces set forth by nature and our desire to assign meaning to them. From these base laws (understandings) we have developed noble ones; only man will sacrifice his life for a noble cause.

I further argue that such sacrifice (though philosophically originating at a core level from survival of a communal gene pool) is not rooted in genetics but in fact in direct opposition to it. The selfish gene holds no dominion over a thinking man.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights

Last edited by william; 02-23-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #73 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
Our place in the universe? Right here.

We're a speck of dust in the ocean of the universe. Are we incredible? Compared to what weve found so far, life and humans are.

One day we may become masters of the universe but until we escape the solar system were nothing. Our value is a self assigned one, based on cognition and the wonder of life. Lifes amazing but it might be a localized fluke that will never spread beyond our solar system or it may be prevalent in the universe.

I would argue that we invent our laws (and customs and traditions) as a result the forces set forth by nature and our desire to assign meaning to them. From these base laws (understandings) we have developed noble ones and only man will sacrifice his life for a noble cause.

I further argue that such sacrifice (though philosophically originating at a core level from survival of a communal gene pool) is not rooted in genetics but in fact in direct opposition to it. The selfish gene holds no dominion over a thinking man.

"What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god. "