Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does the Pope support gay rights?
Yes 0 0%
No 44 100.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree56Likes

Old 05-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
They think, because they can speak to their parents about something, everyone else can do the same thing with their own parents. It doesn't mean they're a bad person.
Yeah. It's true that everyone's different with their own different experiences. But Sabrina seemed completely oblivious to how being in a gay or trans relationship, (with Muslim/ religious parents) could possibly be a problem.

IF Sabrina had an easy go of it; I'd like to hear that story. She just seemed indifferent. It was as if her parents were atheists and members of PFLAG. She didn't know what the fuck Chemda was talking about. That's fine. But at least acknowledge that GAY/MUSLIM is terribly interesting, holds great weight, and is NOT the norm.

"I thought the Pope liked gay people..." Uh huh.

This guest seemed incredibly oblivious. To everything. She tried real hard to be funny, but not enough to feel apart of anything. The show especially.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

This thread is starting to turn me around. I can see how she shouldn't be giving advice about being in a queer relationship and dealing with Muslim family members, and that podcasting might just not be for her, given that she's a half-Pakistani married lesbian with a standup act about dealing with Muslim family members and her own podcast.
Sparrow and dannyhatch like this.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnmyojiOmn View Post
This thread is starting to turn me around.
You're welcome.
FingerLakes likes this.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
How is this whole thread not about what WSE just said.
Forget it Scotticus. It's WSEtown.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
This thread is starting to turn me around. I can see how she shouldn't be giving advice about being in a queer relationship and dealing with Muslim family members, and that podcasting might just not be for her, given that she's a half-Pakistani married lesbian with a standup act about dealing with Muslim family members and her own podcast.
Did someone tell you you're not allowed to like her? I sure hope you at least listen to her podcast and buy whatever shit she has out with you going to bat for her this much.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I was going to vote YES

... but I thought Keith would go mad. Buckle up now for the reason why ....

The Pope would almost certainly support equal legal rights for everyone, and although homosexuality is explicitly a sin in Christianity, it is not up to man to judge each other, and then to use that judgement to deny others of their legal rights.

Many followers of Christianity try to justify their prejudice by quoting scripture, but conveniently ignore John 8:7 "let him who is without sin cast the first stone". A more thorough interpretation of John 8 is that you cannot selectively apply judgement and punishment according to your personal beliefs or prejudices - (in the story, only the woman was being punished for adultery and the legal process had not been followed (Deuteronomy 22:22)). In the same way, selective application of the scriptures (and of other holy texts in other religions) as justification for bigotry is one of the reasons why people are becoming so polarized in their views of religion. As Christians we should "always look to God’s glory and never cause unnecessary division or harm". (Matthew 18:15)

I believe that The Pope, being a little more enlightened, would more likely support gays' legal rights equality and "reach out with the gospel and the love of Christ, always remembering that we, too, are sinners in need of the Saviour" (Romans 3:23). Indeed we have seen many signs that this Pope has called for greater inclusion. Pope Francis’ recently said, “A gay person who is seeking God, who is of good will — well, who am I to judge him?”

Marriage in Christianity is a bond between a man and a woman. That cannot change. Homosexuality is a sin in Christianity, but so is adultery, jealousy etc., and homosexuality did not even get into Moses's Top Ten. ALL sins can be forgiven. Jesus had only one commandment "Love one another". He did not make it conditional.

But despite the position of the Church on Homosexuality, I believe the Pope WOULD support equal legal rights for everybody, irrespective of whether they are "sinners", because we are all sinners in one way or another. If society has special benefits for people who have entered into a LEGAL union, those benefits should be applied equally according to the law (again referring to the lesson of John 8/Deuteronomy 22:22). If only people could better understand that modern laws should not be based on ancient religious writings then we could remove this legal inequality from society.

PS. In the story relating to the Priest, he was fired from the Catholic University, not the Church in what Archbishop Meyers claims was a routine transfer of a priest under his charge. Seton Hall is the oldest Diocean University Campus in USA, so it obviously received financial support from various Christian churches.

A move to form a Gay and lesbian group in 1993 and 2003 was stopped by Administrators, including the Chairman of the Board, Archbishop Newark J Meyers. You might recognise him as the man at the centre of a scandal over his $1/2 mio renovation to his personal retirement house and last year's sex abuse scandal, protecting priest who were fondling boys ARTICLE . How does that scripture go again? "let him who is without sin cast the first stone".

Interestingly Seton Hall have recently transferred Derrick Gordon, an openly gay college basketball star to their team. In the end it's all about the money.

This is the end of today's sermon.
Sparrow likes this.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #47 (permalink)

lol as if anyone is going to read that wall of bullshit ^^^
Keith, robotparker and Nettie-poo like this.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #48 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
lol as if anyone is going to read that wall of bullshit ^^^
Stay uninformed then ... probably better that way.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

The question isn't what's going in the Pope's head. It's whether he is currently supporting gay rights, and that's demonstrably untrue.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
The question isn't what's going in the Pope's head. It's whether he is currently supporting gay rights, and that's demonstrably untrue.
True.

But that's like saying "Does he support Black rights?"

I believe his position is that he advocates equal rights. If we want everyone to be treated equally, why do we specifically insist on Gay Rights? - Apart from the fact that they are obviously NOT equal at the moment.