Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does the Pope support gay rights?
Yes 0 0%
No 44 100.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree56Likes

Old 05-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #61 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
tradition for tradition's sake isn't enough for us as much anymore. we're looking at life and the universe and finding religion less and less credible and valid with our new set of circumstance and information. that's ok. it will die someday. all things do.
We will never know all the answers.

Look at South America and parts of South-East Asia, Christianity seems pretty healthy there. Consider the growth of Islam - religion is getting stronger in certain parts of the world, maybe because it's human nature to feel like we "belong" to a common tribe. Our modern intellect and knowledge can factually discount religion, but what replaces it for the human need to belong?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #62 (permalink)

there's too much to know. Search is the energy of the gears on which we move. Journey; not Destination.

Belonging is a good ole chunk of the Maslow's Hierarchy, you're spot on. there's been no better time in history to create intentional communities. like this one. we're a social species. we'll find reasons to hang out and even more ways to have the conversations about what it is to be human and how best to cope with the awareness of our mortality.
Mattman likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #63 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Religions should play no part in law-making, but the right of religious freedom should continue to be one of the basic human rights. Religions have a very powerful role in community building and as a basis for morality. You cannot deny the good that that they do, just as I cannot deny the incredible damage that they also can promote.

Christianity has been around for around a hundred generations, what gives this generation the right to call time on it, and the role that the Pope plays as the "ancestor" of the Church's first apostle? The growth of radicalism may be seen to mirror the growth of atheism to combat those with moral anarchy. Not saying that these are my views, necessarily.
Writing annoying bullshit but ending with 'Not saying that these are my views, necessarily.' just means that now I'm not supposed to argue with you about these points?

So DO you agree that atheism is moral anarchy as they are missing the right basis for morality or don't you?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Religions have a very powerful role in community building and as a basis for morality.
Disagree.

I will say this though. It sounds like you are interested in religions/ history. You should check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. Episode #48 Prophets of Doom.

It's all about how German priest Martin Luther decides to go against Catholic Church and translate the Bible. This is a huge power shift from Church to people. It has horrifying consequences.

Check it out. Guarantee you'll like it.
RefusingYouLiquor likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnmyojiOmn View Post
Believe me, my "worst guest" will be someone I don't comment on at all because I know that Keith and Chemda are aware it was a shitshow.
How mature.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Subterfuge View Post
Disagree.
nah. he's right. churches are social. in places like where i live they are a central hub of who your neighbors and people are; you build your value system around the same mythos. Mattman is textbook correct.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #67 (permalink)

In no way is religion primitive or outdated. It's doing wonders for the global community. I read that somewhere. Some textbook.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #68 (permalink)

what are you talking about?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
There are by some estimates as many atheists in Islam majority regions as there are in the U.S. We don't tend to know it because they keep quiet and it doesn't gel with our broad vision of what an individual there looks like.
There are tons of Afghans, Pakistani, and the like who disagree with their church/ mosques. But due to any form of dissent with the church being punishable with death they are kept quiet. So I ask you. Is that real community? Sounds more like a hostage crisis.

Just because religion and churches were a strong part of societies (whether it be in the deserts of the Middle East or the backwoods of Georgia) does not mean that they are relevant now. I'd argue the Internet is far better at connecting people and fostering community. Katg is a great example of this.

I disagree with Mattman. Religion does not dictate morality. It no longer brings people together. It is divisive. Primitive. Outdated. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #70 (permalink)

religion is still a strong part of many societies. like, that's just an observable fact.

i'd argue that the internet isn't necessarily a /better/ way to connect. KATG is unique in that it includes and fosters the high amounts of IRLing that it does. /chat parties are great. they are no substitute for sitting around a table.

religion /does/ dictate morality. that's one of its functions. like minded people rally around like ideas. again, just observable fact. it is a method of ideas that has spectacularly brought and kept people together since the dawn of time. i agree that it's outdated, but give it its due. it was marvelously effective.
Mattman likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.