Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: What's better?
Books 38 58.46%
TV/Movies 27 41.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree26Likes

Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

I heard that the book does include rape but the scenes after are different. The show acts like it never happened to the character and the book shows more of its affect on the women who were raped.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Read all the books and watch the show. There may be more instances of rape in the book but theres also way more material. Each book is like a thousand pages. The show is only an hour of screen time so what they choose to put in kind of counts for more, or carries more impact if that makes sense? There are terrible things in the book but the author is able to show the repercussions and while it is often disturbing its not as gratuitous as in the show. The show seems to make a point of using rape more often than the book does- I'm not sure why and its a little much in my opinion.
VividRave likes this.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Also really enjoyed today's guest. It was an engaging and frank discussion of the many problems in an isolated religious society. It seems to me that whenever sex is taught as something sinful and people are not allowed healthy, normal outlets for their sexual desires terrible things end up happening ie. sexual abuse in fundamentalist church societies as well as in the Catholic church. Kids will normally want to experiment and when you teach them that their natural curiosity is evil you will end up screwing them up real bad. It seems like it only gets worse when the society is a closed one, when you have no exposure to other ways of life and thought you have no way to compare your experience.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Books?? Really people? You're gross.
starscream, Sparrow and Scumhook like this.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I know this isn't the main foot of today's ep but, hey the poll references it and I have thoughts on it.

I stopped watching GoT 3 seasons ago. I, like many others, saw the first season, learned of the books and went and devoured those. I stopped watching because the show started to change the order in which very important events happen without outright making them up so I was getting confused and thought I had skipped large chunks of a certain book.

BUT, while they may not have as much rape as the TV show, the books certainly are rapey and are filled with male gaze and over sexualization of everything. The first time the Danny has sex she is definitely raped, excluding one all sex scenes are from the POV of the male character and descriptions go on for paragraphs and pages about how she moaned and he bit this thing and filled that hole. I was rolling my eyes and skipping pages at points with how often this would occur. Fucksake even Sam gets some and its detailed so much.
VividRave likes this.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Little Earthquakes is "precious"? Given her situation, I don't think there's a more sinful thing she could have been listening to.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

That website, A touch of modern, is pretty fucking cool. I bought a couple of those key chains that Chemda was talking about. They were on sale almost half off! I got one for myself, my father and father-in-law. And they had a free shipping upgrade to guarantee arrival before father's day.

I enjoyed the guest. The fundamentalist movement has always really freaked me out.
Keith likes this.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Brooke is on Race Wars this week. Really funny episode.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Race Wars uses the r word
Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!!! and welcome to the forums!