Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Whose side did you find yourself on re: honesty in biopics?
Keith 48 84.21%
Everyone else 9 15.79%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree28Likes

Old 08-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

2229: Straight Outta Compton

with Justy Dodge and Farah Brook - KISS ME NYC and PDA NYC; self-harm with razors and erasers; Straight Outta Compton biopic review; Michael Sam quits football

Guests:
Farah Brook

Justy Dodge

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Keith is so right about this. this wasn't a historical fiction piece about "the time" it was about specifically the NWA. there are people with living memories of their shows; tons of the characters are still making music. this was a real opportunity to tell a true version of their story, the significance of the movement, seeing as how much of mainstream America only saw and still do see them as gangbanger nonsense. the actual events seemed compelling enough, ya know? if you thumbed your nose at the police on stage, banged some bitches and got got arrested in the lobby of your hotel, fuck yeah, rock 'n' roll. does that not come with as much street cred in the 21st century that you need to 'hood it up? or add in police violence where there wasn't any to make a political point*? did Brian Williams consult on the screenplay?

it felt, from the description, like Dr. Dre was telling his own story by sucking his own dick super hard. ballsy move. Suge Knight can still kill a nigga.

*were they downplaying celebrity privilege?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 08-17-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

then again, a wise old lady once told me never to let the truth get in the way of a good story. so, who knows.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

"See that face, see that face... that's Keith's face when he wants to punch me!"

"...I do wanna punch her."

Good stuff.
Keith, Scorpion and FingerLakes like this.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
then again, a wise old lady once told me never to let the truth get in the way of a good story. so, who knows.
Was this wise old lady also a lying Hollyweird whore?

Did she tell you that Transformers was a biopic?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Does the NWA movie explain why Eazy E hated Dr Dre's guts? Every radio interview and every tv appearance Eazy E would publicly call Dre a 'studio gangster' and let it be known he hated him.

There's a Yo, MTV Raps interview with E, (shortly before death) where he says NWA would only get back together without Dre. Eazy E even titled one of his albums It's On, (Dr Dre) 187um Killa. Implying he was going to murder Dr Dre.

It's funny seeing Dre interviews/ press for the new movie. They always ask about E's final days/ did they reconcile before his early death etc Dr Dre is so full of shit. Those two hated each other. It's all revisionist history to make a buck.

Not sure if I'm gonna see it now. Sounds horrible. Sounds like a NWA movie in name only.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
Was this wise old lady also a lying Hollyweird whore?

Did she tell you that Transformers was a biopic?
she was a playwright. the kind of theater i've been involved with the last five years involves gathering peoples' real stories using the story circle method, reframing them, and dramatizing them for the stage. it's a particular skill. i've seen the truth bent quite a number of ways to that end. there was something graceful about the liberties she took and they were generally a means to a deeper universal truth.

that being said, she was a master of her craft and when she told her own stories, which seemed mightily rare, she was very bald about it. Dr. Dre's self-aggrandizement isn't quite that.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I really can't understand the defence of this movie and the individuals within by anyone given the misogyny and rape culture promoted by the lyrics of NWA.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I agree with Keith, whether it's about biopics or documentaries. It makes a difference in how you perceive the REAL LIFE people. They're not fictional. I want accuracy.
Keith, CsisandDesist and Apia like this.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I really liked Justy when I first heard her. To be honest she's been getting on my nerves in recent episodes. She seems to immediately try to oppose everything Keith says and then act like Keith was asking for it. When she argues, she always seems to be looking to win as opposed to understanding whats being said. This is really noticeable when contrasted with Chemda who will speak her mind and oppose a point as strongly as anyone, but also genuinely makes an effort to listen to the other side.