Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who’s more psychotic?
Kerryn Feehan 20 62.50%
Mike Guild 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

But some beliefs aren't worth respecting, and are in fact dangerous to not challenge publicly. Like lies about birth control, that's something I see a lot on my wall. People lying about the safety of efficacy of BC in the name of religion.
The Girl and sinelex like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
But some beliefs aren't worth respecting, and are in fact dangerous to not challenge publicly. Like lies about birth control, that's something I see a lot on my wall. People lying about the safety of efficacy of BC in the name of religion.
You are absolutely right, but you can't assume ALL Christians believe this. That's why I said you have to take it person by person. I'm sure Mike doesn't believe all that BS about birth control. I personally have several religious friends who don't spout off this nonsense. You can wage ware on a broken system without trying to rip every believer a new asshole. Kill 'em with kindness.

EDIT:
Also as far as growing up in a hostile religious environment, I can relate. I grew up in an Independent Southern Baptist church, and even had to attend their school. They are indeed batshit crazy, racist, and sexist. I got the hell out and never looked back. For a long time I did hate ALL Christians, but then I started meeting people who believed in God, but didn't subscribe to the BS being said in his name.

Last edited by diluted; 12-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Challenging people on their beliefs, and the logical implications of their beliefs, is not the same as hating them or being a bigot. I think if someone professes to believe in the bible, it is fair game to ask them about the contradictions in the bible. That doesn't constitute an attack.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Challenging people on their beliefs, and the logical implications of their beliefs, is not the same as hating them or being a bigot. I think if someone professes to believe in the bible, it is fair game to ask them about the contradictions in the bible. That doesn't constitute an attack.
No it does not, but the attitude in which you do it with does.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I never said it didn't.

What I did say was that what constitutes an attack from a nonbeliever is a lower bar than from a religious person.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I never said it didn't.

What I did say was that what constitutes an attack from a nonbeliever is a lower bar than from a religious person.
Only to certain people.

See you are still blanketing every single believer as being this way. Let's try and relate this to something else.

How do you feel when the media says that all Syrian refugees are terrorist? That's not cool right? There are a lot of cool Syrian's who just want a better life.

The same logic applies. You can't just blanket every PERSON with the assumption that they believe, "What constitutes an attack from a nonbeliever is a lower bar than from a religious person." There are plenty of Christians who are willing to have a logical and calm debate about their beliefs, but there are also other who will automatically take offense and start throwing accusations at you. Don't talk to those people, it's pointless.
Los likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

No, what I clearly meant is that as a whole, SOCIETY holds believers and nonbelievers to different standards. I don't actually believe that everyone in x group is one way, and everyone in y group is another way, since that didn't fly with me when my college friends tried to shove that down my throat.

Sorry I didn't spell that out for you.
New here likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
No, what I clearly meant is that as a whole, SOCIETY holds believers and nonbelievers to different standards. I don't actually believe that everyone in x group is one way, and everyone in y group is another way, since that didn't fly with me when my college friends tried to shove that down my throat.

Sorry I didn't spell that out for you.
I'm sorry if your message wasn't coming across as clearly as you thought, but getting an attitude with me isn't really going to help me understand what you are trying to say. Your message is being interpreted that way, I get your clarification of it being a societal problem, but I disagree with you on that. I feel like people who truly believe that are just a loud minority. If you believe in your heart what you are doing is right, then please follow your heart. It's not up to me to sway your beliefs or principles. I just hope to encourage more level headed and rational discussion, and getting super aggressive at someone over their beliefs just isn't a good thing in my book.

So we can just agree to disagree. :-)
Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Aww, aren't you a sweetheart.

And remember, not ALL men.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diluted View Post
I feel like people who truly believe that are just a loud minority.
Christianity is a majority, oppressive class in this country. deal with it. when you take that onto your shoulders, especially willingly, when you enjoy its privileges, it means a few things.

i feel like when you take on a label and associate yourself with a group, most any group, and people start representing you in the mainstream with views so undignified, it's your damn job to acknowledge that it's happening and do what you can to squash it. turning a blind eye and saying "well, not me" at this moment in time is how jews got burned in gas chambers close enough for the townspeople to see the smoke.
New here likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.