Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who’s more psychotic?
Kerryn Feehan 20 62.50%
Mike Guild 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

Old 12-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Christianity is a majority, oppressive class in this country. deal with it. when you take that onto your shoulders, especially willingly, when you enjoy its privileges, it means a few things.

i feel like when you take on a label and associate yourself with a group, most any group, and people start representing you in the mainstream with views so undignified, it's your damn job to acknowledge that it's happening and do what you can to squash it. turning a blind eye and saying "well, not me" at this moment in time is how jews got burned in gas chambers close enough for the townspeople to see the smoke.
This I can agree with 100%. I get what you are saying, and it makes sense. I don't know how we go about addressing the believers who remain silent. I have no answer for that. I've been debating with myself for a while about the whole "label" aspect of it, but have never thought about it from the angle you propose. I still don't know how I feel about being aggressive to every believer though just because they are under that label. In my own personal experiences doing that has only pushed people away, or they just stop listening you know?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Well, we can begin by acknowledging that any pushback against religion is shouted down as "aggression", whereas people are literally allowed to express the belief that people who think differently deserve to eternally burn, a belief that is in the bible multiple times, and get less criticism, because they're just "expressing their religion"
The Girl and Sparrow like this.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl View Post
Well, we can begin by acknowledging that any pushback against religion is shouted down as "aggression", whereas people are literally allowed to express the belief that people who think differently deserve to eternally burn, a belief that is in the bible multiple times, and get less criticism, because they're just "expressing their religion"
Ok I think I am finally starting to see where it is you are coming from. Sorry for any misinterpretation I may have done.

So yes, I agree with what you are saying. I was coming at it from a different (i.e. wrong :-p) angle. I think Sparrow's post helped me get more insight into what you meant.
The Girl, Sparrow and New here like this.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Haven't heard the episode yet but I believe that any amount of religion is harmful because it gives people a poor foundation for reason. Sure, not everyone who believes in religion is going around ISIS style but religious people have a strong cognitive dissonance which can hinder other life choices.

Also, this
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diluted View Post
I still don't know how I feel about being aggressive to every believer though just because they are under that label. In my own personal experiences doing that has only pushed people away, or they just stop listening you know?
this i will agree with. if you can't get the person you're talking to to really hear you, it's as fruitless as screaming into the wind. challenging anyone's core beliefs automatically puts one on some real deep defense; especially when that belief is built on purposely eschewing evidence to its contrary. you're /better/ at your Christianity the /more/ you deny damning truths. in dealing with Christianity, it can only really be meaningfully molded internally. it's why it's important to rely on our Faithful allies to keep their folks in check.

this is why moderate people of Faith cannot remain silent. Jesus defended most those his own people despised. it's your obligation to do the same.
diluted likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Haven't heard the episode yet but I believe that any amount of religion is harmful because it gives people a poor foundation for reason. Sure, not everyone who believes in religion is going around ISIS style but religious people have a strong cognitive dissonance which can hinder other life choices.
Yes and I think this is the same thinking that gets people into conspiracy theories. My problem with the religion talk was that it burried Mike's crazy conspiracy theory he brought up. If he'd explained that more then we would have known how poorly his reasoning works it would be easy to see why he's in to religion as well.

Within days of the Paris attacks I saw people claiming the whole thing had been faked and EODM where in on it for publicity. Disgusting.

My number one argument against any conspiracy theory is - humans are horrible at keeping secrets and love to let you know that they know something that you don't. NASA faked the moon landing? And out of the 100's of people it took to do that not one of them ever got drunk and blabbed? Yeah, right.
MichaelApproved and Lanfear like this.

https://myspace.com/almostapathy/music/albums

Last edited by WittyReference; 12-09-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I think it's just Chemda's tone that may be bothering people? She always has great points. It just comes across differently depending on how she's saying it. (and let's not forget Keith has a tone like that often depending on the subject, haha)

Kerryn Feehan is hilarious. I've always enjoyed her on Myka's show too.

Interesting mix of Kerryn and Mike on the show!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I was confused when Chemda and Mike were arguing/debating. I agreed with Chemda almost the whole time but I think they went off on different broader tangents at some point and then I lost the thread of the conversation. I think Mike just annoys Chemda sometimes but I always love when he's on He's got some interesting theories and opinions. It would be boring if everyone on the show always agreed!

Kerryn is always hilarious but I voted for her as the crazier one because.... well just listen to any episode of anything she has ever been on and you will know why!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Attacking someone's belief is such a futile activity. Saying that you are surprised that someone has religious beliefs because they are smart is also somewhat insulting.

From what I have experienced, many atheists are more prone to challenge believers, possibly because they have nothing but their own evidence-based rational thought process as a basis for what they believe in, rather than a shared "story" of faith to follow, along with many others.

I can only imagine how people in the trans community feel, and it is great that there is a growing awareness for the confusion of sex and gender that many people feel. But just because I am not in that community, I would not attack those who seek peace and comfort from the belief that sex and gender are different, and base that attack on the physical evidence of someone's genitalia rather than accepting their belief that they are the opposite gender.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare the two, but it does, I hope show the difference between fact and feeling, evidence and faith. What someone believes to be true, even in the absence of physical evidence should not be attacked by those who do not share that belief and cannot empathise with the other's feelings.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I'm not sure why it's in quotes, but what's your "story" of faith?
(Online)   Reply With Quote