Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Whose team are you on?
Team Johnny 15 53.57%
Team Amber 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Here's a video. I think this will help.

http://youtu.be/O1KJRRSB_XA
Keith, AlyssaN, Sparrow and 1 others like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Poll

HOW DARE THIS SHOW IMPLY JOHNNY DEPP IS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BRILLIANT ACTOR/ GIFT TO ALL HUMANITY!!!

Ahem.

Now. That being said. I shall actually listen to show. Possibly move beyond these 'Amber' accusations...
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

As a natural haired black woman working in a predominantly white male field:

Conversations like this are why most of the time we just roll our eyes and sigh "white people". Cause there is too much nuance and history to even try to explain to someone who is unwilling to do their own research.

Even on topics that white people see as "simple" like black hair.

This is why it's also nice to have at least one other black person around to give a knowing glance of solidarity to.

Cause girl... aint nobody tryna explain, defend and write a dissertation on the struggles of blackness everytime you don't understand something or doubt everything.

That's a labor of love. That's asking people to revisit hurtful strong emotions just for your educational benefit. And just for you to likely deny it cause "if I've never seen it, then it doesn't exist" ass long that is common in these conversations.

There are countless academic articles, books, news articles, YouTube videos, documentaries, etc on literally everything you need to know.

But you expect a personal teacher, an afro American tutor. Well, teachers and tutors get paid. So if you wanna work out a payment schedule I'm sure you will find more than a few willing participants. Including me.
The Girl likes this.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Also the parallels between other races with curly hair and black women with natural hair are cute and full of solidarity on the surface.

I'm not going to deny the pain and self esteem issues that everyone faces.

But there is a huge difference between not being seen as ideal esthetically and not being seen as fully human.

Always keep that in mind.
The Girl likes this.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
Here's a video. I think this will help.

http://youtu.be/O1KJRRSB_XA
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq why did I read the comments...
The Girl likes this.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Still confusing.
Where does appropriation start and coexistence end? Or admiration?
Black Americans have a long history of being made to feel ashamed of how they look, and always tried to look more white. You can see it in both male and female black singing groups from the 50's who all straightened their hair. That didn't change until the Black Power movement of the 60's when people started wearing their hair natural. Someone who isn't black appropriating that without knowing the cultural significance can be offensive.

This example is negative significance instead of positive, but it's similar to someone wearing a swastika because they like how it looks without knowing the history of Nazi Germany. It's just ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Is it ok for me to run to black music on my phone?
Anyone can listen to what they want, but appropriating black culture extends to music too. Rock was originally black music influenced by the Blues and Gospel, and considered taboo until white artists started releasing it. Songs were often re-recorded by whites with no credit to the original black artists. That history makes a lot of black people sensitive to white recording artists adopting their styles of music.

Hip Hop is the only form of black music that started in black culture and stayed there despite being adopted worldwide. Taking elements from a culture can be a good thing as long as its originators and history are recognized.
Sparrow likes this.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

So damn good! I hope you have her on again. Y’all have had everyone on as a guest.
Keith and The Girl like this.