Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Would you have felt responsible selling the Glock and AR-15 to Omar Mateen?
Yes 23 63.89%
No 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraquat View Post
27 minutes in, quoting a letter, "...much harder to kill 50 people with a knife..."

33 Dead, 130 Injured in China Knife-Wielding Spree - NBC News

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Well did you read the article you linked here?or bothered doing one more Google check on what a "group" would be? No worries I did.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

33 were killed by by 8 attackers

do you need me to get my calculator to tell you how many that is per attacker?
Keith likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

No. I didn't read that one.
I just Googled for the latest mass stabbing.

A firearm is an instrument. A tool. It is not inherently good or evil.
Does it make mass shootings easier? Yes. I can acknowledge that.

I'm not going to cherry pick statistics to suit your needs.

France currently has a total ban on fully automatic firearms. You need a hunting permit or a sport shooter's license. Military calibers are restricted. There's also a limitation on ammunition.

NONE OF THIS MADE A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
No. I didn't read that one.
I just Googled for the latest mass stabbing.

A firearm is an instrument. A tool. It is not inherently good or evil.
Does it make mass shootings easier? Yes. I can acknowledge that.

I'm not going to cherry pick statistics to suit your needs.

France currently has a total ban on fully automatic firearms. You need a hunting permit or a sport shooter's license. Military calibers are restricted. There's also a limitation on ammunition.

NONE OF THIS MADE A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE.

Thanks for admitting that you didn't check anything because that would be cherry picking results.

Now I know what I am arguing against
Keith likes this.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Great. Now that we're in agreeance did that have any affect on France's prohibitive gun laws?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

But your avatar is so cute...
Old 06-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Great. Now that we're in agreeance did that have any affect on France's prohibitive gun laws?

Yes it did in my book but we just a few minutes ago established that we don't believe in the same scientific proof/research/study methods so I don't know what you want to talk about here?
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok. Let's try it from a numbers game.
It's been cited on the show and there are plenty of current studies showing that the sale of firearms peaks around these tragedies. Take my mother, for instance. She lives in Florida. She is worried there is going to be a ban so she went out and bought a pistol and a shot gun. She asked me to show her how to use the pistol. After the rotator cuff surgery and chemo she can't even rack the slide.
After having both hips replaced she dare not fire the shot gun. She bought them because she was worried about a ban and, as observed, sales spike. Like running out of gas in the 70's... People lined up around the block to buy gasoline.

So if you want to decrease the number of shootings, stop threatening to ban this, that, or the other thing. The knee jerk reaction is to possess it before it becomes "banned". This saturates the market and firearms become more prolific. Addressing the root cause of why people want to kill each other probably wouldn't hurt either.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

wouldn't hurt? we're gonna toss off the reason why people want to kill as a side issue? jesus.

NOBODY WANTS TO BAN PISTOLS OR SHOT GUNS. nobody is coming for yer home/bodily protective guns. i sit on the fence a lot of times on this stuff, but it's infuriating to hear this narrative. it's untrue and people who stock up on that and ammo are perpetuating their own stereotype. fucking stop it. tell your gramma she's a moron.
WittyReference likes this.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
wouldn't hurt? we're gonna toss off the reason why people want to kill as a side issue? jesus.

NOBODY WANTS TO BAN PISTOLS OR SHOT GUNS. nobody is coming for yer home/bodily protective guns. i sit on the fence a lot of times on this stuff, but it's infuriating to hear this narrative. it's untrue and people who stock up on that and ammo are perpetuating their own stereotype. fucking stop it. tell your gramma she's a moron.
To be fair, the "No Fly, No Buy" thing was a ban inclusive of pistols and shotguns, albeit for a sub-population (mostly Muslim) in the US.

While I don't believe we'll successfully ban pistols or shotguns, I can understand how an emotional, attached person could see an action like that and worry that it might later be applied to them.

This is all the more reason to take a measured approach. If the reaction to these tragedies is for gun sales to go up, then the tack has to change at some point, because it's not working.
Sparrow likes this.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

dear god, are we on the same page about something?