Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever done acid?
Yes 9 20.45%
No 35 79.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree41Likes

Old 07-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Just noticed that Mermaid's post and mine were in the spam queue. I approved it now but I wonder if the links were triggering the spam filter. I'll keep an eye out for future messages flagged as spam.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Chemda's first acid trip, yes, fine--but how in the world did you not title this episode "No Justice, No Pee"?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I really appreciate Chemda's words on Black Lives Matter. This is why I listen to KATG. I'm super thankful to at least have someone illustrating the points that so many people have been making even as others try to drag the discussion down into a matter of semantics.

Solutions ? Campaign Zero

Is a great resource for people who are actually interested in what the "ask" is for BLM activists.

They've also met with the president and put some actionable items into his agenda. As a matter of fact the body cameras have already had funding approved.

Obama Administration Gives Police Departments Millions For Body Cams

These protest made BLM an issue for each candidate in the race this year. Even racist republicans were forced to go on record.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...unity-policing

Last edited by rodimusprime; 07-11-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
I really appreciate Chemda's words on Black Lives Matter. This is why I listen to KATG. I'm super thankful to at least have someone illustrating the points that so many people have been making even as others try to drag the discussion down into a matter of semantics.

Solutions ? Campaign Zero
Someone posted this once before - there seems to be bugger all correlation betweens black lives matter and campaign zero

(e.g. the single reference to campaign zero on the BLM website says, "

Some proposals like the recently launched Campaign Zero by a group of Ferguson activists call for body cameras on every police officer. But other groups are more reticent about this solution, since it would lead to increased surveillance and possible invasions of privacy, not to mention a massive governmental database of information about communities of color that are already heavily under surveillance by government forces."

and the campaign zero website does not mention BLM or #BlackLivesMatter - not once.

Michael is correct to be confused

Quote:
Is a great resource for people who are actually interested in what the "ask" is for BLM activists.
If it represents BLM that's true - can anyone confirm whether this is the official position, or even majority supported?
MichaelApproved likes this.
“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at M.I.T.; good genes, very good genes, O.K., very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, O.K. …”
- Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

Last edited by My Sweaty Balls; 07-11-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would this be an issue except for America's gun culture? This was national news here:

NSW Police officer pulled gun on Canberra motorist charged with drink-driving

That's right - officer pulls gun on drunk driver avoiding road block makes the newspaper!*

There are very few fatal police shootings in Aus

*for the millennials - a newspaper is kind of like a Buzzffeed list written on a tree
Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

The problem is the media labels all these marches under one banner. Campaign Zero isn't BLM (the org) but it is often labeled BLM (the org) in the media no matter what they do to try to keep this from happening.

The unifying goal of both groups is for the police to stop killing innocent black people. And Campaign Zero seems to have the most concrete solutions and actionable items. They are politically involved and engaged. They met with the President and his staff. They've been on committees to institute things like funding for training and body cameras.

BLM (the org) takes a more outside approach to agitate the status quo and spread awareness that systemic racism continues to snuff out black people's lives. There is some cross over between both organizations and as you can imagine there is some beef as well.

Most of the beef I've seen seems to stem from the fact that the BLM hashtag and BLM media label are seen as all-encompassing. I was interviewed about Bernie Sanders and several articles called ME a "Black Lives Matter Activist" because I'm black. I've never protested anything a day in my life. Media spaces just don't care and it obfuscates the message but it's truly out of the control of the people on the ground.

I think many outsiders looking in see it all as the same thing so it's confusing. Much like how Occupy Wallstreet eventually fizzled out b/c it was unorganized angst without a true unifying focus.

The problem with thinking these black protest movements will fizzle out is that police keep killing us. So there's always another reason to keep marching. And even the solutions that have been proposed may not work ultimately because a camera can't stop someone from pulling the trigger and it doesn't guarantee a conviction either.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks rodimusprime.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Michael's been aware of Campaign Zero (the concept, the website, the idea) for going on four months now.

http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...4/index15.html

There's being cynical and then there's being deliberately obtuse. I can see how some people could be confused here, but this is the guy who follows politics like sports and has engaged with folks on this very forum about this very subject. If he doesn't understand the split here, it's because he has no interest in understanding it.

Many protest movements (including the ones Michael cites for their success) joined otherwise unaffiliated groups to advance causes advocated for by a political wing. That he knows this and still harps on BLM for their issues just doesn't jibe with what he claims to believe.

This is the same guy who's been on the show talking about how Bernie Sanders was a success because he pushed the Democratic platform to the left and created a list of voters for the party to access and engage with going forward.

The precise things he loves about the Sanders movement become egregious the minute people decide that interrupting a brunch or blocking a highway or expressing any organized anger is a valid response to the execution of US citizens by law enforcement. Moving the Democratic platform to the left is fine for some protest movements, but not for others.

So he's basically this kind of liberal:

I Support "Black Lives Matter," But One Tactic Has to Go - Cafe.com
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Read the first line of the post two back.

You said black lives matter and campaign zero are the same thing in the previous debate. Black Lives Matter and Campaign Zero seem to disagree with you.

In this case it seems you are the one being deliberately obtuse.

If on the other hand you know something that we don't perhaps you should share that.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Here is an interesting article it links to the research referenced.

Police Shootings, Race, and the Fear Defense - The New Yorker

Basically, a racial bias is seen across all interactions had with citizens - except shootings!

The Author, Roland Fuer "has a reputation for iconoclasm and for genius: not yet forty, he is the recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship, a winner of the John Bates Clark Medal, and the youngest African-American economist to be tenured at Harvard."