Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Women. Human beings or no?
Human beings 47 92.16%
No 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2463: Safe Space

with Katharine Heller – Rape and consent culture in the comedy scene; how to handle cat callers; Anthony Weiner calls his 4-year-old son a chick magnet; the joy/horror of hickeys; woman throws cockroaches and worms on the subway for political reasons

Guest:
Katharine Heller

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Last edited by dannyhatch; 09-02-2016 at 12:11 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Safe Spaces

To be clear, I think, but am not positive, that when older people react negatively to the safe spaces thing that's happening on college campuses, they're not talking about spaces to be safe from and to talk about sexual assault. They're objecting to the phenomenon where, let's say, Keith is going to the campus to perform some of his edgier stand-up and, in response, students demand that the university provide a safe space, counseling, etc so that the "psychological damage" done by Keith's presence on campus can be ameliorated.

There seems to be a idea among millennials that any point of view that might be different from their own can, in and of itself, cause real harm just by existing.

The University of Chicago summed it up nicely in a letter to students:

"You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort. Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own."
therewillbesnacks likes this.

Last edited by jbliss; 09-02-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard a lot about this Facebook group from other, more macho podcasts and it was interesting to hear such a different take on it. I'd never heard or considered the idea that it's a safe place to speak, rather than a conspiracy to label men as misogynists and ruin their careers. The tone of the recent YKWD episode with Mark Normand is hysterical, as in hysteria.

I didn't understand the comparison to college safe spaces at all. Safe spaces are about policing public places.

Also, I'd like to hear more about this idea that people who disagree should shut up. Jesse Williams said the same thing in that BET speech. It seems like a really toxic thing.
Keith and Enunciated Piffle like this.

Last edited by OnmyojiOmn; 09-02-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I detect sarcasm but I saw no ;-)

Just in case: only crazy/bad/stupid people would object to you having "places where you feel safe." Hopefully, you have several/many: your home? Your work? Your school? Etc. Places where you can say what you want without fear of reprisal / retribution.

What I object to is this relatively new definition of "safe spaces" that only exist to coddle millennials who really believe that an on-campus speaker who disagrees with them is some sort of threat to them, personally. That's bonkers and the worst kind of anti-intellectualism.

Those two things should not both be called "safe spaces." It's too confusing.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi! I don't know why jbliss keeps saying this is "relatively new" or a "phenomenon" to have safe spaces, protest speakers, etc. It's not new. People have been screaming about "PC culture run amok!" even before I started college 22 years ago. The things we were protesting for (same sex marriage, equal pay) are now the law, and that's pretty rad.

I like that college students are aware of social issues and as such sometimes challenge their administration. If it means they don't want to hear a speaker who is the voice of the status quo in order to make space for diverse speakers who are likely on the right side of history, I'm ok with that.
The Girl likes this.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

> Hi! I don't know why jbliss keeps saying this is "relatively new" or a "phenomenon" to have safe spaces, protest speakers, etc.

I guess I should have written, "new to me." I started college 24 years ago.

> The things we were protesting for (same sex marriage, equal pay) are now the law, and that's pretty rad.

Agreed.

> I like that college students are aware of social issues and as such sometimes challenge their administration. If it means they don't want to hear a speaker who is the voice of the status quo in order to make space for diverse speakers who are likely on the right side of history, I'm ok with that.

So am I. Having written that, if/when university does host a speaker with some ideas that don't perfectly line up with students, let's hope that students have the ability to listen, consider, think critically, discuss, ask questions, and come to individual conclusions based on rational thought. Sticking fingers in ears and shouting "SAFE SPACE" is not the way to go.

NOTE: I'm NOT talking about that time when your college invited an actual KKK Grand Wizard. Feel free to stick your fingers in your ears for that asshole. I'm talking about, say, a moderate Republican senator or something along those lines.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkheller View Post
If it means they don't want to hear a speaker who is the voice of the status quo in order to make space for diverse speakers who are likely on the right side of history
I hear what you're saying. Though I would agree with you, (as a fellow liberal) I do not think that censoring people's free speech is the solution.

Let me put it this way. If we stopped all the assholes from speaking. How would The Daily Show have come up with all those great analogies? It would have just been John Stewart. Sitting there. There'd be no sound bites. Nothing to comment on.

I'm not trying to ok hate speech, but ALL ideas, from EVERYONE need a chance to be heard. It's not up to one single ideology to determine what's best. It hinders discourse and new ideas.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Safe Space and Dangerous Ignorance

Not everyone went to college. This concept seems new. Maybe because some of us dummies are just recently hearing about it. I'm still confused on what exactly this is. When Chemda compared it to AA I was like 'Oh ok' cuz I'm a degenerate and know what that is.

Would like to hear more about this. Because honestly, when I hear the words 'Safe' and 'Space' it kinda makes me want to roll my eyes.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok.

So.... how does this apply to Safe Space? I'm still confused. Does Safe Space prevent people like Trump from speaking at campuses? Is it for people who are getting bullied?

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 09-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Don't use it to defend someone saying horrible things.
I don't believe I did. I'm saying everyone should be heard. Maybe I'm not saying this right.