Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who struggled more?
You 8 20.51%
Your parents 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree44Likes

Old 01-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

our constitution doesn't allow for the making illegal of such things. reframing and reclaiming the word within their community is healing. taking ownership in that way gives them power over it. it's why they can use it in their songs and we whiteys still can't bandy it about.

Germany has a much more civil sense of shame about the things y'all did and done a better job this century of having the back of people you oppressed. America is a real No Fucks Given zone. i mean, we just power hosed a bunch of Native Americans in freezing weather.
littlp likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Ok.

But why say I should have stopped after the first sentence?
Because the rest was you being a white woman telling black people how they should feel and deal with oppressive language specific to them.

We don't need your questioning or giving "advice" on how to be oppressed or what to be offended by.

We got this. I promise.
Sparrow likes this.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

This was a learning opportunity. Today you learned not to question the way people deal with their oppression.

But instead of taking it as a lesson. You chose to be offended that I didn't coddle your ignorance.

Black people do not have time to coddle your ignorance. We have too many other things to worry about and deal with.

There are a plethora of places for you to get your insensitive racial questions answered that don't involve emotionally disrupting a black person's day.

There are black people who have devoted their entire lives to teaching about race relations and African Americans.

They have written books, made movies, published academic papers, and sat on numerous panels on race.

The internet makes all of these thing available internationally and for everyone. Seek them out.

I advise not asking a question you obviously know is insensitive about a sensitive subject and then getting upset when you don't get the answer you want but the one you need.

(Btw, this is why we don't like answering questions)
The Girl likes this.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

BTW, it is not a black person's job to teach you how not to be racist.

That is called emotional labor.

You are not entitled to our emotional labor.

If you have questions and want to know more. Google is your friend. Learn everything you can about something through your own research before accosting a black person. Then ask for resources on whatever aspect you are interested in.

P.S. no one is here for your "woe is me. I'm a white woman with questions. I'm not as racist as my parents. Why are the blacks so mean to me?" act. No one.
The Girl likes this.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
reframing and reclaiming the word within their community is healing.
I didn't know that. It seems like it's always been used in the black community, America just didn't know about it until white kids started hearing it in hip hop.

I don't think it was positive in the past. I think it originally came from self-hatred, and was a way of bringing each other down to the same low level. At some point it turned into regular speech.

The same racial stereotypes and slurs that have been used against black people have been used by blacks towards each other. Racism among black people was real. I don't know if forgetting that and turning it into pop culture is good or bad.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I don't know if forgetting that and turning it into pop culture is good or bad.
sure, its use is a constant internal conversation and debate that can happen b/c they've gained control of the narrative. agency does a lot for dignity. there's not one "right" "black" opinion on it. there's /lots/ of very valid feelings about it. one is allowed to do with one's story what one will. the big point there is that it is not a white story.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Today you learned not to question the way people deal with their oppression.
I used to listen to the old KATG episodes a lot, and they questioned it. Nothing wrong with talking about it.

This topic came up more than once. This was back when it seemed like they said the word in every episode. I remember Keith and The Girl was known for being offensive back then.
Apia likes this.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

As a big white boy hip hop fan, I've come to the realization that no matter how catchy, I site drakes Started at the bottom now we here, you just have to accept that every 7th word is a no no.

I don't see live shows. I'm guessing you just nod your head. Lol
Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Los

The thing is, if whites could all just agree to stop using it as an offensive slur, they could say it too. It's a problem because racist white people still exist, and they're not saying it as a positive. I can't think of any now, but a lot of everyday words have lost their original offensive meaning.

It's hard to deal with a word that's a good or bad thing depending on who's saying it. I remember Keith saying that no one should be able to say it if white people can't.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

It's used in the same way "the b-word" (idk if profanity is allowed on the forum) is used among women.

Depending on the tone, inflection and circumstance, it could be good, bad or both.

My grandparents and great grandparents use/used it just as much as hip-hop music and teens.

Similarly to when a woman uses "the b-word" in a negative way, it still never carries the historically oppressive weight as when a man uses "the b-word" in any circumstance. Simply because the privilege imbalance isn't present.