Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you support the Muslim ban?
Yes 0 0%
No 44 100.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

2559: Spicy Jigglies

with Jo Firestone – Serena and Venus Williams; Split and Silence reviewed; boycotting A Dog’s Purpose; Pope Francis on Holocaust Remembrance Day; Steve Bannon vs. The Media; Keith protests at JFK airport; Russia decriminalizes domestic violence; behind-the-scenes of The Chris Gethard Show

Guest:
Jo Firestone

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Last edited by dannyhatch; 01-29-2017 at 07:09 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
For those who didn't vote ...
Who'd you vote for again..?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Russias Domestic Violence.

I learned only recently, and think it's important to know, that both males and females are going to be hurt by this domestic violence ruling in Russia. We most often see females in hospital situations, and getting extremely hurt, but men are experiencing just as much spousal abuse, and since they are not being physically hurt, it doesn't get taken seriously. With the rules being rolled back it gives men no legs to stand on as they usually will not end up in a hospital.
I'm Canadian and we are about 50/50 in perpetrators and vitims. Most countries follow this trend. The little data we see from Russia suggests they are following that trend too.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Can you imagine Hillary banning Muslims?
I can't.
Past presidents (including Obama, and I think Bill Clinton) have issued similar travel bans from countries with high terrorist activity. That's where Trump got the list of countries from. I don't remember seeing any protests then.

The difference is that the Trump administration was sloppy. Their ban was issued quickly without legal and security consultation, so the language is hard to interpret. It's also more severe and inexact in terms of who it applies to. That's where all of the confusion is coming from. I heard that some people's status for entry into the US changed while they were midflight.

If they did it right, it would have gone mostly unnoticed like previous travel bans.
Bucho and Apia like this.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ace new guest.

Whoever's booking the show lately deserves a raise.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Love Jo Firestone! Great show.
Keith, Bucho and Apia like this.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
If they did it right, it would have gone mostly unnoticed like previous travel bans.
I think a big part of how they've come out with the ban was to get a lot of attention. On one hand, Trump's base gets to feel like their guy is sticking to his guns, plus it adds to the general hysteria about how powerful he is - kind of a "look what I can do, no one can stop me."

The big difference between this ban and similar actions taken in the past by Bush/Obama is the brazenness of it. Past administrations have worked in contradictory ways, ie proclaiming "Islam is peace" as we bomb and harass muslim populations to little fanfare. Trump's team is saying explicitly that we are at war with Islam, and acting like it. Even if this specific action isn't a huge break from US policy, it seems to be leading us towards harsher measures that will come out of the new administration being specific about their enemy.

I think it's hard to say what the "right" way to govern is anymore. It assumes that the people in charge are operating with the same fundamental principles as administrations in the past, which they aren't. Trump isn't going to win political battles in the same model of Obama or Bush or Clinton - the way he won the presidency is by throwing out that conventional wisdom.
Los likes this.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
Past presidents (including Obama, and I think Bill Clinton) have issued similar travel bans from countries with high terrorist activity. That's where Trump got the list of countries from. I don't remember seeing any protests then.

There was no previous travel ban. People from countries on the list just had to go through a stricter vetting process before getting a visa. It also applied to people who were not from the listed countries but had traveled to one within the last 5 years.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

There have been many - but more targeted. (e.g. Reagan banning all boat people)

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/R44743.pdf pages 7-10
Los likes this.

Last edited by My Sweaty Balls; 02-06-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
There was no previous travel ban.
Yeah we have a long history of presidents issuing travel bans, but I didn't know there were as many per president as in that PDF. Some of those seem like they're so targeted that they would be hard to enforce.

The Trump administration is saying they never called it ban after calling it a ban on air in a press conference.