Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Did you ever have a pregnancy scare?
Yes 28 75.68%
No 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Don't guilt trip women/minorities/LGBT/etc. for wanting to feel safe.
Never done it, with this being the only instance that could be considered so.

Don't guilt trip women/minorities/LGBT/etc. for wanting to be with themselves and only themselves.
Never done it, with this being the only instance that could be considered so.

Stop using #NotAllMen
Never done it. @ThisWarlock on twitter, you can read all 55 of my tweets since 2011. I find people that do this to be the same morons that will # anything but the word Black before LivesMatter.

Stop thinking it is a personal attack on your character.
Don't think people hate or dislike you because you are not invited.

It's annoying because it's selective offense. People get it when a guy says he wants a "man cave" or needs to just hang out with his boys. But people get forgetful and offended when women or brown people want to be left alone for a little bit.

If you read the first and last paragraph of my original post on page 1 of this thread, I freely admit that this is a problem in my head. You're the one trying to guilt trip me for the demons in my head.

And for the record, Chemda never said she wanted to create a safe space. The stuff Chemda said happened on show 2561. She’s talking about scaring Trump, then about a nightmare, then back to Trump, then an ad. Starting at 21:00, Chemda talked about how she wanted to “combat this,” which I understood, given the previous discussion of Trump and protests, that this was an anti-Trump effort. She wanted to organize a hiking trip but was currently too busy to produce the event. Then she decided to keep it local and have a gathering at her home in complete silence. Then Chemda said:

“And unfortunately, I’m going to do it for female, trans, and gender neutral. I’m trying to minimize people walking in and seeing their rapists. And so I need to word it so that if you have a penis, you’re probably not invited.”

How do you go from looking for ways to be productively anti-Trump to walking into a room with a penis attached to your body makes you one of my guests rapists?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Now that I heard the real show...

Truce Mermaid. I'll admit:
  1. I have problems.
  2. Chemda is great.
  3. Everyone has the right to meet when, where, and with whom they choose.

Fun stuff ACTUALLY related to this episode:
  • #DontYankBabies should be trending.
  • I've never had a pregnancy scare (voted No), but I do have 3 kids.
  • Getting the wrong baby at the hospital was a major concern, so I remodeled my bathroom at home so that we had a bathtub large enough for a home birth. My first two kids were born in Ukraine at home with a midwife.
  • My 3rd child was born in the US by c-section at a hospital, with real surgeons and painkillers (he refused to turn and exit head-down). When they pulled him out, one of the first things I noticed (while there were no other babies in the room to impersonate him) was a large arrowhead shaped birthmark on his left arm. This made it easy to identify him without any wristbands. However, an arrowhead birthmark in Cherokee lore is a bad omen indicating a gambling addiction or unnatural propensity to take risks (I say I'm white because I look white, but I'm 3/8 Native American and can't grow sideburns or a beard ).
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #23 (permalink)

Think about this:

When my friends say "straight/cis people are the worst", I don't feel the need to correct them or point out that I am different.

They aren't dumb, they know how generalizations work.
I'm not dumb I know how generalizations work.

So I sympathize with them and I'm like "You right, we aint shit forreal". Cause in the grand scheme of things, we aint lol

That's what I mean by stop taking things personally and stop the "Not all men" stuff. Everyone knows that. But aint enough hours in the day to list every individual man who aint shit.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Culprit View Post
The only instance I don't like safe spaces is where it shuts down discussion and dialogue on social issues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8DZklYfbPc
It's key to note here though that the experience that Christine Sommers had with safe spaces is lumped in with all safe spaces and is used by right wing media to discredit safe spaces in general which leads to a perception problem with the general public.
I haven't watched the video yet because I'm at work.

But tbh, when me and my black women friends gather to vent, release and just be us in our safe spaces, we aint looking for dialogue. In those moments we aint looking for people's opinions on our experiences.

Those moments and those spaces are for us. They are for emotional healing from the world.
The Girl likes this.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I haven't watched the video yet because I'm at work.

But tbh, when me and my black women friends gather to vent, release and just be us in our safe spaces, we aint looking for dialogue. In those moments we aint looking for people's opinions on our experiences.

Those moments and those spaces are for us. They are for emotional healing from the world.
I should've just described the event I was specifically referencing in the video I guess. It's a very specific example and I wasn't trying to imply anything across all safe spaces or that dialogues should be forced with people in place when they're emotionally recuperating.

Christine Sommers is a feminist writer that runs a youtube channel called the Factual Feminist. In the video she describes an instance where she was giving a talk at Yale University and in the past the students would raise a lot of points after the talk and engage a debate with her on different issues. However, at Yale recently instead of encouraging debate the students when Sommers challenged their feminist perspective by articulating hers they didn't try to debate her and just posted a notice for students to go to the nearby campus safe space to essentially segregate themselves from the emotion of those different ideas and eat cookies and pet cute animals. Sommers' point, while she comes from a different generation of feminism, was that she was disappointed that the group of students allowed themselves to be treated like children and worried that the agency of women was being freely given away.

Unfortunately this event appears to have been picked up a bit by right wing media in an effort to slander all safe spaces in general.

Last edited by Jo_Culprit; 02-24-2017 at 06:20 PM.