Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever been arrested?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 61 74.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree334Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

As I said in my first reply - the communication was terrible and it did make it worse. Because it not only scared Chemda, it also made Hennessy worry more. The officers would probably hide behind a 'we are just taking you in and then others decide if you need to be kept' and that's shitty and should not happen ever.

But I can believe that and feel genuinely bad for Chemda while also saying what I said.
Apia likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
. . . I don't believe I deserved to be jailed but I know I would have still gone to jail even if they told me they were arresting me. . . .

I don't believe that tickets, even outstanding ones, should result in locking people in a cage.

Can we stop getting mad at each other for breaking laws that we don't believe in? Who is actually responsible for calling us criminals?

. . .
Honest to God, I am not mad at anybody, and I thought I apologized in my second post in this thread for being a little rough on you in my first post and sounding judgmental.

You didn't commit a horrible offense and you probably shouldn't have been locked up. But when you ignore something like a warrant for a long time (stay with me, I'm still not being judgmental) and the law finally catches up with you, people are not likely to be patient or sympathetic or flexible. And the people who inhabit police stations and jails are usually not very nice to begin with, because they themselves are miserable.

That's just the way it is, and good people who don't get that unintentionally end up making things worse for themselves.

I deal every day with people who get jacked up by the government. Like it or not, it's better to stay out of those situations in the first place, than to have to work your way out of them.

By the way, here is how to find out real quick if you are under arrest: Ask the cop "Am I free to leave, officer?" Anything other than a simple "yes" - "that depends", "I don't know yet", anything ambiguous like that - means you should assume that you are not free to go, and therefore under arrest.

Again, I am sorry for coming across cold hearted.

Chris

Apia likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #43 (permalink)

I guess we can all agree that america is no longer #1, right?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Ooooookay I have to chime in now:

For many years I never went out alone... Like never.. Was too scared to.

Last year after the latest nasty breakup I said fuck it, I'm going out, no longer living like a hermit.

Went to a neighborhood (Alameda, CA) bar, had a few drinks, noticed it was almost midnight & figured I should go home before the club got crazy. My job was running a fitbit contest at the time, and with the nice evening weather I decided to walk home. Mind you, I pay A LOT of rent to live in Alameda because it's quiet & safe (Spent many years living in San Francisco & Oakland).

I put my earbuds on & started the 30 min walk home.

I came across a warehouse with construction that had a sign on the sidewalk, I had to step into the street (mind you no cars or people around) to walk around the sign. Next thing I know there are police sirens behind me and the cops are stopping me.

They said they had been following me for a while, asked where I was coming from & where I was going to. They said I had been walking funny. I told them I had music in my ears & I pointed in the direction I came from "Churchward" pointed in the direction of my house (6 blocks away) and said "home on 9th st".

They asked me for my name, I figured ID was next so I thought I would save them the step & handed them my ID. ID that showed my house is a few blocks away.

They asked me for my phone number, I asked why they needed it. They asked again, I asked again. Next thing I knew I was being slammed into a fence and handcuffed. I have NEVER been arrested....

I started to cry and asked what was going on, they snarled in my ear "that's what you get for not giving your fucking phone number"

While crying I said they could have it, they told me it was too late, I was going to jail.

They then drove me to a jail 45 minutes away because "Oakland jail recently changed their rules and aren't taking any alameda people" (oakland is right by Alameda).

I cried the entire way to jail.. I was told they wouldn't hold me any longer than 6-8 hours. 12 hours later I was released from one of the worst nights of my life. I won't even get into how horrible jail is.. Chemda made that point clearly.

They tried to charge me with "drunk in public" even though no sobriety test was done on me. I spent the next few weeks in a panic thinking about how this arrest & possibly something on my record would affect future job searches.

No charges were pressed... They had nothing.... But I am now scared of every Alameda police officer or car I see going by, no matter what time of day or night.

Part of me is convinced is because my ID said Mariana Grajales, not Suzy Smith...

Part of me thinks I was just another number in the goal they have to meet.

All I know is that I don't feel safe around folks that are paid to "keep me safe". I also would like to believe an officer that keeps people safe would have just taken me home.... SIX BLOCKS AWAY

I actually just recently went to the same club & took the same route home walking just to work through some of the trauma. I was way more sober & way more ready for questioning, but still.... It's fucked up.

www.MeMeCPhoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Meme isn't hard to find; her laugh carries 'cause she throws her head back like a gorgeous unicorn. she's also an amazing first contact. look for the fanciest bitch having the best time.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #45 (permalink)

I wonder if they were especially hard on Chemda because of her name.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
I wonder if they were especially hard on Chemda because of her name.
I thought it was a possibility..

Especially since "the system" under the current administration is using all kinds of means to "round up folks" that fall in a brown/black spectrum...
The Girl, Hera and bellalugosi like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #47 (permalink)

I have so many thoughts...

The one that keeps bothering me the most:

What happened to those girls? Are they still in the cell? Why were they there two days? Are they okay? Do their families know?

So many black women get abused and sexually assaulted while being arrested or while being "held" that I'm worried for them.

Also,

Your brother is the worst.

He's the guy who walks up to a mom crying on the side of the road and asks her to propose a plan of action for how to solve police brutality. Like at that very moment she needs to be able to come up to a solution to a centuries long systematic problem. And if she doesn't have one he gives the "well if you can't speak like a scholar on the subject then just shut up" tone and face. All while claiming to be on her side. I see your bullshit Micheal.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i knew this felt familiar. didn't we all just have a conversation about compassionate tact after someone experiences trauma?

Chemda deserved to be lied to, treated less than human, and stored in a garbage bin? for not updating her address? get out of here.

I think (just think) that it's the surprise of it all (by Chemda & others) that is surprising to everyone. Why is the shitty result such a shock to everyone?

If the system sucks as bad as everyone says it does, then why would anyone expect a good result from cheating it? And more importantly, why would anyone think that jumping a turn-style is a legitimate protest against such a shitty system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Regardless of whether Chemda was right or wrong, there is no excuse for the cops to lie to her and for all law enforcement involved to treat her and the other jailed women so poorly. Also, her brother was a jerk for not being supportive when Chemda was so obviously in need of emotional support.
Agreed. Michael could have waited a day, but what, other than a Trump-like response do you expect from someone nicknamed, "The Grabber"?

Last edited by Keith's ButtPlug; 03-20-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #49 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith's ButtPlug View Post
Why is the shitty result such a shock to everyone?
...is the answer because - Jail Time for jumping a turnstile - is fucking ridiculous
Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #50 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

A friend of mine was driving to work and was speeding. She was pulled over. Then she was arrested for an unpaid ticket. She had an experience similar to Chemda's. The only thing is she had paid her ticket. Someone forgot to enter it into the computer. So a warrant was issued. She did not lose her job but was put on probation. She had to take another day off work for court. She was able to prove she paid the ticket but the damage had already been done.

Last edited by Jessica332; 03-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.