Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever been arrested?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 61 74.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree334Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith's ButtPlug View Post
why would anyone expect a good result from cheating it? And more importantly, why would anyone think that jumping a turn-style is a legitimate protest against such a shitty system?
she wasn't expecting a /good/ result. i think as a citizen you /ought/ to expect to be treated with due regard to your rights. it's what the whole framework is built on; trust btwn the public and the police.

they are literally in charge of your life and limb while you're in custody. it's not too much to ask to be seen as human.

and to the latter point, FUCK YA. FUCK YA THAT'S WHY! BECAUSE I'M ANGRY. BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL IN CONTROL OF SOMETHING. BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS GODDAMN INSANE AND IF I DON'T GET IT OUT OF MY SKIN ONCE IN A WHILE I MIGHT BURST INTO FLAME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
I also got a new ID at least twice since that ticket. No one said anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is the answer to Michael's question about what should be done if not jailing someone. You can't renew State ID after ignoring warrant for a year. Done.

And they could send you an email to give you a heads up too. That might help.
Keith likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #53 (permalink)

thought the room could use a blues perspective.

jcro21 likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #54 (permalink)

Hey all have been away from Katg for a long time. Good to be back listen to last few episodes got the app and going to try to catch tomorrow's show live. Sucks Chemda you getting locked up and all but pretty normal experience shit happens same way in my small town. They don't give a shit, and don't want to help once the cuffs go on they feel there job is over and fuck you GOOD LUCK. At least it didn't happen on a Friday judge wouldn't have seen you till Monday all for some stupid ass long time ago B.S
The Girl, MichaelApproved and Apia like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

BTW you guys still kick ass and and are funny as hell keep up the good work
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #56 (permalink)

ahhhhhhh holy fuck

I couldn't give two shits about what points of Micheal's I agree with or not, exasperated Chemda is so fucken funny and real. Next time she gets arrested or debates with Micheal she should just go and record stand-up straight afterwards.

Last edited by Jo_Culprit; 03-20-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #57 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I have so many thoughts...

The one that keeps bothering me the most:

What happened to those girls? Are they still in the cell? Why were they there two days? Are they okay? Do their families know?

So many black women get abused and sexually assaulted while being arrested or while being "held" that I'm worried for them.

Also,

Your brother is the worst.

He's the guy who walks up to a mom crying on the side of the road and asks her to propose a plan of action for how to solve police brutality. Like at that very moment she needs to be able to come up to a solution to a centuries long systematic problem. And if she doesn't have one he gives the "well if you can't speak like a scholar on the subject then just shut up" tone and face. All while claiming to be on her side. I see your bullshit Micheal.
I have to admit that my protesting for BLM had a new perspective after my experience... I also have wondered many times how different (worse) it may have been if my skin/ethnicity was "darker". My "privilege" as a "white Latina" has a new point of reference & POV in my empathy drawer...

On a side note, I'm also very disturbed with the trend of black & brown girls missing in urban areas. Little girls... very little news coverage on it. It's very concerning all around how black & brown folks will survive the current administration's archaic policy approach.
The Girl, Sparrow, Apia and 2 others like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
Also I lost my temper on my brother. That tells me I should think more on this. I'd like to be able to debate the things I believe in in a calm way. I hope that me getting that upset was because it was 'too soon' but I'm still thinking on it.
After telling the story on-air the whole mood of the show when Micheal called with his points was 'too soon man'. It was like someone that couldn't read the atmosphere at a bar.

Chemda, you were great and it was great cause it was real, you don't need to have had a detailed nuanced argument about fees and punishment with someone so soon afterwards and definitely not after you just relived the whole thing on-air. You're reaction was exactly what any normal person's reaction would be.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #59 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Chemda you acted very bravely by keeping a cool head. According to my experience as a criminal law lawyer you are absolutely correct: a system that wastes all that money on jailing people for offences like yours is complete bullshit.

Yes, people should be punished for their offences; no we should not waste bazillions of dollars arresting people for outstanding warrants. That is very stupid and dumb. There are many, many cheaper alternatives, like not being able to renew your license, like GreeningOA said. That's what happens in Canada when you have outstanding offences like this: you can't renew your license or get a new ID. No, it is not your job to decide what the proper punishment should be, your government should be doing that. They suck.

Keith no one credited you for recognizing that Chemda's civil rights were violated by those dick cops who lied and laughed at her.

In Canada you must be "read your rights" and given a phone call within a certain time of being stopped by the police. If they are not going to arrest you they may "detain" you for a short period but they have to tell you that's what is happening. The cops are certainly not allowed to lie to you - that would be a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (in Canada) and is a major fuckup. When cops fuck up like that here it's a big deal. There must be some equivalent of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the USA and if there's not that's fucked. How are your civil rights protected at all?

Michael you may have had good points - actually you had one good point - that at some point people need arrested if they're constantly avoiding punishment. Well, maybe that is only half a good point because the system jails people who are not posing safety issues but just social nuisances. These people fall through the cracks in the social net (which apparently really sucks in 'Merica) and end up costing the taxpayer zillions of dollars in the bullshit criminal system.

Also you were really insensitive to your sister in that conversation.

Also, a protest doesn't have to be effective to be legit. If it's a protest to Chemda to jump the turnstile in an attempt to thwart the system, it's a protest, especially because she does have the platform on which to explain herself.

My Story (briefly):I was arrested right before I became a lawyer. I jumped the turnstile, got a ticket, didn't pay it, a warrant went out. A year later I get caught jumping the turnstile again. Cop says "okay you have a warrant out for your arrest, I have to arrest you". He doesn't put me in handcuffs (although he mentions he could do so), he writes me out my summons and lets me go after I sign a promise to appear at court. I go to the courthouse and pay my tickets. THE END.

My story would have been different if I was homeless, visibly indigenous, or otherwise marginalized. They may have arrested me and taken me to jail for a night in lieu of paying the ticket. This is bullshit and many lawyers here are trying to change the bullshit system. It is so stupid to jail people for little offences like that! It wastes so much money that could otherwise be going to improving city infrastructure, paying for scholarships, improving health care etc..

Goddammit this episode fired me up.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #60 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

As someone who has both multiple po-po and multiple jailbirds in the family I'm not about to go all eff the po-lice or anything, buuuuuuuuuut ...