Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2593: Jailbird (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2593-jailbird-20420/)

The Girl 03-20-2017 09:04 AM

Lanfear, you are making up that I ignored letters. I never received letters. I specifically said that I've looked up my license. I also got a new ID at least twice since that ticket. No one said anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion 03-20-2017 09:17 AM

Don't tell me your problems tell me your solutions

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Girl (Post 858879)
Also I lost my temper on my brother. That tells me I should think more on this. I'd like to be able to debate the things I believe in in a calm way. I hope that me getting that upset was because it was 'too soon' but I'm still thinking on it.

I think your brother wasn't respecting your point a view and it is understandable that you got upset with him. Your brother also seems to be pushing the "come to me with solutions and not problems" thing a little to hard. It can't always be someone coming to you with solutions because some times it's better to know of a problem even if the person who came to be aware of it doesn't know what to do about it. If I see a down power line I call the electric company and tell them, they don't respond with "OK but what should we do about it! Tell me what do you think we should do besides tell you to stay away? Which you obviously already know."

I think putting you in jail for this offense is way overboard and seems to me is just lazy work on the cops part, 'Dis is wat we do, we arrest people fo tings' They somehow knew you had this outstanding thing, shouldn't they also know what that thing is? If you didn't pay a $15 fine or did you beat up a homeless person? It seems the system only records select information and could/should include other simple information. Maybe Chemda was wrong in what she did or didn't do 15 years ago but maybe instead of putting her in a cell they should have taken her to the precinct and given her the opportunity to pay the outstanding fine. They have her new address so they could find her again and also could give her another ticket for failure to resolve the matter by one of the methods offered.

I think if the po po had said it looks like you have an outstanding ticket that you didn't resolve we have to take you to the precinct where you can pay it and go home or we will issue you another summons and you will have to pay the fine within 15 days or show up in court. That might have been a better option.

word 03-20-2017 09:32 AM

Chemda I think the right situation should have been a summons. They recite you at the time of the other ticket. You can pay it at your leisure online or at a specific place. If you fail to pay that second summons. A warrant for your arrest should be issued as well as the fine. I agree it's a bit heavy-handed to arrest you after 15 years with no action.

jalejo71 03-20-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanfear (Post 858874)
I feel very sorry that you had to go through this experience I'm sure it was frightening and better communication about the processes would have sure made this easier.

But I gotta agree with Pintmans points and you got arrested in the middle of the night because the two of you made the decision to save 1 Dollar - why should a judge have to be awake to hold court in the middle of the night to make sure you get back to bed?

You regularly and gleefully talk about jumping turnstiles, stealing from shops and dedicated a whole episode (not even behind the VIP paywall) to talking about how your husband made money and how much you enjoyed helping out with "sales".

Don't get me wrong I don't say you shouldn't do that or I think you are a bad person - you can do whatever you like and the weed laws are most certainly stupid but that's not highbrow civil disobedience / political protesting the "man".
That is being damn lucky and living in a democratic country with free speech laws and a police force lenient enough to allow you to hand things to Hennessy before they take you in.

I'll join Pintman in running for cover now.

This.

I also nominated this episode for multiple KATG awards.

Most Ridiculous for a 40+ year old getting caught jumping a turnstile.

Most Shocking that said 40+ year old is surprised there are consequences for blowing off summons, stealing from stores, jumping turnstiles, etc.

Was the punishment heavy handed? Yes. Way too harsh. However, you have to responsible for your actions.

Lanfear 03-20-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Girl (Post 858883)
Lanfear, you are making up that I ignored letters. I never received letters. I specifically said that I've looked up my license. I also got a new ID at least twice since that ticket. No one said anything.

Sorry - I assumed if they found it in the system so quickly that night that they had reached out before years ago.
And btw no shame ignoring/forgetting letters like that. I managed to do that myself before and had to pay quite a penalty after a few years.

The Girl 03-20-2017 10:33 AM

@jalejo71

With peace and love, did you read my post. I think we're on the same side.

Pintman 03-20-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by word (Post 858885)
Chemda I think the right situation should have been a summons. They recite you at the time of the other ticket. You can pay it at your leisure online or at a specific place. If you fail to pay that second summons. A warrant for your arrest should be issued as well as the fine. I agree it's a bit heavy-handed to arrest you after 15 years with no action.

Here's the point: A court only has to mail notices to the last address the defendant has given. They don't have to (and can't) track her through the years. If the defendant moves, it is her duty to notify the court of the new address. If she doesn't, that becomes her problem.

Understand the process. There was a summons, 15 years ago. It would have been handed to Chemda or mailed to the address she gave at the time that she was caught. That summons was ignored.

There may have even been (probably was) a second notice issued at that point, again mailed to Chemda's last known address. Then at some point, having not heard from Chemda, the court finally issued an arrest warrant. Again it would have been mailed to the last address the Court had on its books for Chemda. Maybe (probably) Chemda had moved at least once in the meantime, but it was up to her to notify the court of the new address.

Yes, Chemda had multiple IDs or driver licenses issued in the meantime, and the old warrant never came up. But this isn't surprising because different government agencies don't work off a single, cross-referenced database. The DMV doesn't have the addresses that the court has, and vice versa. The DMV can't routinely check for warrants on every renewing driver. This is probably a good thing, because a single database accessible to every government agency would make it easier for the government to spy on people.

Not picking on Chemda, not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but people who blow off even little things like this are just asking for trouble.

Sparrow 03-20-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pintman (Post 858893)
asking for trouble.

i knew this felt familiar. didn't we all just have a conversation about compassionate tact after someone experiences trauma?

Chemda deserved to be lied to, treated less than human, and stored in a garbage bin? for not updating her address? get out of here.

if this conversation is a big fucking shrug at how goddamn awful our prison system is, know you're a bad person.

Hera 03-20-2017 11:23 AM

Regardless of whether Chemda was right or wrong, there is no excuse for the cops to lie to her and for all law enforcement involved to treat her and the other jailed women so poorly. Also, her brother was a jerk for not being supportive when Chemda was so obviously in need of emotional support.

Keith 03-20-2017 11:28 AM

Pintman, why are you thinking we'll forget that the cops said she WASN'T under arrest by saying that a cop doesn't have to SAY when someone's under arrest?

You gettin' tricky?

Also, what do you mean the court wouldn't have a person's new address? Somehow they keep finding us for jury duty.

C'mon now...