Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever been arrested?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 61 74.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree334Likes

Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

2593: Jailbird

with Bowen Yang – Fifty Shades Darker and The Belko Experiment reviewed; Bowen vs. Breitbart; Chemda arrested overnight

Guest:
Bowen Yang

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

A nothing

The second you get put into a jail, you become a nothing. They treat you like shit don't give a fuck what you have to say. (I like that Chemda picked up the language so quick.. CO, etc..) The role of jails is to treat people as criminals and tell them that's all they are. This is of psychology conditions people to go back and forth in the system because it's what "they deserve". The so-called law doesn't look out for individuals, it's groups populations into good and bad. The bad deserve arresting and good don't.

Last edited by vezione; 03-19-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

firstly: oh, Chemda, what an ordeal. i'm giving you my best, biggest hugs. blah blah blah politics, sure, but at present, i just want to wrap you in a warm blanket of love and make sure you know you're safe. bless your heart, squash blossom.

secondly: Bowen is fucking awesome. LOVED Bowen. please have Bowen back.

third: The Bell Jar? The /Bell Jar/? alright, man. see how far you can manage through that girlhood rite of passage. all her thoughts are sour and matter-of-fact, but still very pretty; like they have lace edges despite herself.

Quote:
When they asked some old Roman philosopher or other how he wanted to die, he said he would open his veins in a warm bath. I thought it would be easy, lying in the tub and seeing the redness flower from my wrists, flush after flush through the clear water, till I sank to sleep under a surface gaudy of poppies.

But when it came right down to it, the skin of my wrist looked so white and defenseless that I couldn't do it. It was as if what I wanted to kill wasn't in that skin or the thin blue pulse that jumped under my thumb, but somewhere else, deeper, more secret, and a whole lot harder to get at.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Try as I might, I'm having a hard time feeling sympathetic:

(1) The cop doesn't have to say "you are under arrest." No magic words are necessary. If a reasonable person would believe that she's not free to leave, she is under arrest. So, you were under arrest as soon as you were cuffed, probably before that. And, if officers would have said at the start "You, Chemda, are under arrest", would it have changed anything that happened from that point on? Would you have reacted differently? From listening to the show, it sounds like the cops were right in wanting to keep you calm.

(2) Unless the police try to use your words against you at trial, they don't have to "read you your rights." This is a common misunderstanding. Since they saw you hop the turnstile, that's all they need to convict you. The police do not have to "read you your rights" every time they arrest somebody.

(3) You didn't get arrested and put in a cell for skating on the platform. You didn't get arrested and put in a cell for jumping the turnstile. You got arrested and put in a cell for blowing off a summons for 15 years. You had 15 years to pay that little fine, and you didn't. If you forgot about it, that's understandable, but that's still on you, no one else.

(4) Sorry, but I gotta be blunt: Every free ride for turnstile jumpers gets paid for by those of us who don't steal rides. Don't tell me a single stolen ride doesn't cost much. Don't tell me the MTA makes lots of money. Wrong is wrong.

(5) It doesn't matter if "the system" is also "wrong." Two wrongs don't make a right.

Time to run for cover . . .

Last edited by Pintman; 03-20-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: punctuation, clarity
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I feel very sorry that you had to go through this experience I'm sure it was frightening and better communication about the processes would have sure made this easier.

But I gotta agree with Pintmans points and you got arrested in the middle of the night because the two of you made the decision to save 1 Dollar - why should a judge have to be awake to hold court in the middle of the night to make sure you get back to bed?

You regularly and gleefully talk about jumping turnstiles, stealing from shops and dedicated a whole episode (not even behind the VIP paywall) to talking about how your husband made money and how much you enjoyed helping out with "sales".

Don't get me wrong I don't say you shouldn't do that or I think you are a bad person - you can do whatever you like and the weed laws are most certainly stupid but that's not highbrow civil disobedience / political protesting the "man".
That is being damn lucky and living in a democratic country with free speech laws and a police force lenient enough to allow you to hand things to Hennessy before they take you in.

I'll join Pintman in running for cover now.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Would Keith's Justice© apply in this case?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

I keep thinking about whether or not I will jump it again and I keep coming up with what I felt when I was talking about it on the show: no.
No I don't want to beat the fare right now. So, is jumping it a protest? To me it is BUT not worth it. So, I'm going to protest WITH the law instead of against it. I'm joining something that Elsa told me about: #SwipeItForward.
For the first time, I bought a 30-day pass. So, when I get out of the train, I want to remember to look around to see if I can swipe someone in for free. It's legal and it helps.

About the rest of it, I am not disputing that I committed crimes. I let BabyButt pass behind me on my swipe and I didn't pay my very old ticket. I am saying that I should be punished. But not jailed. Not even for a minute. And it's not for me only. I'm saying no one should be jailed for this. Being behind bars is way too serious for a crime like that. It can easily have you lose your job and people have become homeless as a result. I'm saying the punishment does not fit the crime.

As for them not having to tell me I'm arrested, why would you get mad at me for wanting to know that I'm arrested? I said on the show that I was very calm, that I complied with everything and that was my plan the whole time. Please don't confuse my tone when talking to you with the tone (that I said on the show) that I had with the officers. I was a total puss.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Also I lost my temper on my brother. That tells me I should think more on this. I'd like to be able to debate the things I believe in in a calm way. I hope that me getting that upset was because it was 'too soon' but I'm still thinking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
About the rest of it, I am not disputing that I committed crimes. I let BabyButt pass behind me on my swipe and I didn't pay my very old ticket. I am saying that I should be punished. But not jailed. Not even for a minute. And it's not for me only. I'm saying no one should be jailed for this. Being behind bars is way too serious for a crime like that. It can easily have you lose your job and people have become homeless as a result. I'm saying the punishment does not fit the crime.
A quick google tells me that apparently people do get arrested for fare beating and I fully agree that that is a terrible idea and doesn't fit the crime and seems to be racist in who they target.

But you weren't arrested for that, not now, not last time and also Henessy wasn't arrested even though he didn't even show ID if I remember the story right?

You were arrested for ignoring an old ticket for 15 years. And while that is still mismatched punishment I kinda get them taking you in.
Wouldn't you agree that if all the court knows that you don't react to getting letters about it for 15 years (well I assume they stopped after sending a few and you moved since then) you most likely won't suddenly react now if they let you go this time?
Crazy overreach would have been to send the police to your house to take you in years ago.

Btw I would like to hear your arguments for why public transport should be free and how you would defend that to people with cars that have to pay their own gas.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Chemda:

I probably came across as an unsympathetic hardass. Sorry. I spent a night or two in jail a long, long time a go when I was in school. Jail just cannot suck enough. And you were understandably still shook up on the show last night.

As far as people losing their job and being separated from their loved ones and dependents when they get thrown in jail, you raise a very serious point. When people get picked up on warrants or arrested on relatively minor charges, what happens in the very first court appearance before a judge is that bail gets set.

The majority of people who find themselves in this situation are poor and can't pay for a lawyer. The difference between high bail and low or non-monetary bail is often critical to keeping a job, taking care of a family, or not having a car repo'd.

In the U.S.A., everybody theoretically has a constitutional right to have an attorney present at this stage, but public defenders are overworked and underpaid, and lots of people get unfairly high bail because they have no attorney to speak for them at that initial stage.

As a result, many wait in jail for months until trial, even though they are presumed innocent. Most of them are not flight risks or dangerous. I feel for such people. Partly because I have been in jail, partly because I'm in the business and see this all the time.

So, thanks for getting busted and highlighting the problem. I love you, even though you are a criminal.

Last edited by Pintman; 03-20-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clarity