Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever been arrested?
Yes 21 25.61%
No 61 74.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree334Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
she can own it while still being disgusted with her treatment, the state of the facility, and the system wherein that is the tip of the ice berg.
I agree 100%. Still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman View Post
I'll ask these simple, straightforward questions a third time: What would have been different if they would have said at the start "you are under arrest"? What would Chemda have done differently? How would the outcome have been any different?
What would be different if she knew what was happening?

Aye yie yie...

I guess for one, she would know what was happening.
memecherry and Mermaid like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

2 wrongs don't make a right, *shrug* *smile* *runs off with a flower*

comparing Chemda's petty crimes with something you can argue as modern day slavery is…i don't know, tastes a little…smug, maybe? it certainly smacks of asshole.
memecherry likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman View Post
I'll ask these simple, straightforward questions a third time: What would have been different if they would have said at the start "you are under arrest"? What would Chemda have done differently? How would the outcome have been any different?
I'll answer your question, Pintman. It's a question of trust -- being able to trust that in the US, the person arresting you is not a lying, sadistic bully and you have no idea where he's taking you or for how long. That's supposed to be one of the benefits of living in the US, that there are fair processes in place that respect basic human rights.
Keith, Tech007, memecherry and 2 others like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Pintman,

The difference would be psychological and informative. Both are reasonable.

It made a huge difference to find out the way I found out. It scared the shit outta me. Made me worried that complying might have been what got me arrested to begin with.

I don't believe I deserved to be jailed but I know I would have still gone to jail even if they told me they were arresting me.

Now I want to ask you if it made a difference to know. And if next time I can have the benefit of knowing that I am a human. And that when I'm not treated that way, maybe don't get mad at me. Get mad that they could and would do it to you too. And that you are probably just as big a criminal as I am. Do you deserve to be locked up?

I feel the same about weed. Do parents deserve to be locked up for giving their kid medicine for their seizures? Will the "shouldn't have done that" still apply?

I don't believe that tickets, even outstanding ones, should result in locking people in a cage.

Can we stop getting mad at each other for breaking laws that we don't believe in? Who is actually responsible for calling us criminals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Most of the men that tanked our economy in illegal ways are still running free, making tons of money... I bet a bunch of them made a shitload while investing in the private prison system the day after DT was "elected".

Chemda missed a summons/"jumped a turnstile" & was treated way worse than any of them will...

Does anyone else see a problem here???
Scorpion, Sparrow and Mermaid like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I'm very sorry you had to go through that, the whole experience sounds harrowing. Wasting jail, court, and cop resources on a (no-victim) ticket is absurd. I like the idea that after the record check the cops just re-cite for what's in the system as long as the first offense is at the same level.

That being said (I'm already ducking) we only have the one system. Putting you in custody is the only thing they have when you don't pay a fine, whatever the reason; I didn't do it, I lost the ticket, I didn't think they were serious, I didn't have the money, etc. We also only have one jail and court system, not one for nice people and one for the "real" criminals. That is no excuse for them treating people like animals, but best to avoid the system and petition for change from the outside.

Finally, about the "your not being arrested" thing. He kept saying that so you'll wouldn't freak out on they platform. He was trying to save himself a fight from the subway to the detention center that he didn't know whether or not would turn into a wrestling match, escape attempt, or just a royal cussing for the half hour it took to get where you were going. He would not have been able to tell from looking at you that you were a smart, strong person, that doesn't do this stuff normally. I don't fault him for that.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #38 (permalink)

A similar shitty thing happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn this summer. Last winter he got a ticket for drinking on a stoop (which he forgot to pay), and in August the cops rolled up on him drinking on another stoop and he went through the same thing Chemda described. Fucking sucks. The shittiest part for him was feeling like he had zero control over the situation, no one listens to you when you're in there, you don't know where you're going or really how long it will take.

Yeah, you can say "well you should've paid your ticket," fine. That doesn't mean any of this treatment is justified. The point of putting someone through jail for an unpaid ticket is to demonstrate the absolute control of the state, to show that if you don't toe the line and follow the rules, we can take you and hold you and there's nothing you can do about it.

Michael was frustrating because he's trying to rationalize a system that is inherently unjust. He's accepting the fact that people are fined and put away for all sorts of shit that doesn't matter, and being nitpicky about how we should best accomplish fining and putting people away. Anyway, I enjoyed him getting shouted down, it seems like lately he only calls in when y'all are discussing serious things and he feels the need to set the record straight or insert himself as the voice of reason or whatever. I just wanna hear some drunk Michael stories.

Was not expecting Keith to pick up the Bell Jar, but the rationale ("I like jars") makes sense. I hope you stick with it, I love love love that book.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsmittyroad View Post
I don't fault him for that.
that's what people said when those cops shot those unarmed dudes. you're seriously saying this cop was so afraid of Chemda? of doing his job, the one where he's literally trained to deal with crazy, scary criminals? /so/ afraid he couldn't even /tell her/ what was going on. well, golly!
The Girl, memecherry and Mermaid like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsmittyroad View Post
Finally, about the "your not being arrested" thing. He kept saying that so you'll wouldn't freak out on they platform. He was trying to save himself a fight from the subway to the detention center that he didn't know whether or not would turn into a wrestling match, escape attempt, or just a royal cussing for the half hour it took to get where you were going.
Why are you deliberately omitting parts of the story? So that you can stick with THE LAW IS THE LAW IS THE LAW point of view?

She was lied to and tricked the entire night. You heard that also. Why are you ignoring that?

She was in the "detention center" and lied to and tricked hour after hour.

"Detention center..." Shame on you.