Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should the baby belt-beater be beaten to death with a belt?
Yes 13 50.00%
No 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

2635: Say Hello 2 Heaven

with Andrea Allan and Hann Cowger – Chris Cornell dies; Roger Ailes dies; Donald Trump’s witch-hunt; Anthony Weiner pleads guilty to underage sexting; sexually abusive police officers; the Times Square driver; woman beats child to death with belt; Keith’s Justice vs. Star Trek’s Justice; the male romper; quitting by shitting on your boss’s desk

Guests:
Andrea Allan

Hann Cowger

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

The woman should at least have her teeth kicked in. When I was a foster parent we had children who went through some terrible shit. The stories of our foster children and other children nearly broke me. I understand as a public policy it's not a good idea but personally she should be summarily executed.
Keith likes this.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Chris Cornell formed Soundgarden way back in 1984 and they became the first of the "grunge" bands to be signed to a major label. Fellow Seattle band Mother Love Bone was around since 1987.

When MLB's Andrew Wood died in 1990 (just days before release of their debut album) Chris Cornell wrote a pair of songs paying tribute to his friend and asked Stone and Jeff of MLB to play with him on the recordings. As they rehearsed they came up with more songs, so the intended single grew into what would become the Temple of the Dog album.

Meanwhile Stone had begun writing the music which would become the first Pearl Jam tracks, and in the process met Eddie Vedder and formed Pearl Jam along with with former MLB bassist Jeff, so Eddie was hanging out as Temple of the Dog rehearsed and then recorded, and ended up being invited to be backing vocalist on some tracks, and eventually co-lead on Hunger Strike.

Temple of the Dog was released in April of 1991, Pearl Jam's Ten later the same year.
Keith, The Girl, Sparrow and 2 others like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Yes, that makes a lot of sense (since it's factual). But what a lot of people don't know is that the idea of Chris killing his friend Andrew came while happening to be listening to Warrant's 'In the Sticks.' And not in a way like, "This is so bad I need to kill someone." It gave him inspiration to go next level.

RT
The Girl and Bucho like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

That is also factual, although due to the insidious machinations of the patriarchy many continue to claim the real killer was Courtney Love.
The Girl likes this.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

So crushed, feeling all the 7 stages. I almost hope it was some weird reaction to medication that drove him to it because it's hard to make sense of it all. Especially someone who lived through the deaths of Andy Wood, Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley.

I saw Soundgarden every time they came to Australia, unfortunately most of the time it was for a festival so they'd play a safer set. The first time I saw them was in 1994 at a club that held about 1000 people but it felt like they'd sold 1500 tickets. One of the most packed and hot gigs I've ever been to and the band loved it. I saw Chris on his solo tour last year which was also amazing. His song Seasons from the singles soundtrack is one of the best songs of all times.

He also revealed something about Female sexuality to me when I caught my 17 year old sister and her friend watching their early film clips in slow motion because there were close ups of Chris' tight silver shorts.

Early Seattle Grunge definitely had a glam influence mixed with metal and while it has similarities with Hair Metal, I'd say the hair side is more synonymous with being about the party. Seattle was more about Bowie and T-Rex. Maybe.
There must have been a reason the music got darker there? The first Gulf War?
Bucho and jcro21 like this.

https://myspace.com/almostapathy/music/albums
Old 05-23-2017, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I feel you Witty, this hit me harder than the death of any other artist I can remember. Cobain and Ledger left their marks, but I don't remember shedding a tear. This though, I put on Room's a Thousand Years Wide from Motorvision when I heard the news and broke down. Surprised even myself how deep they'd got into my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyReference View Post
Early Seattle Grunge definitely had a glam influence mixed with metal and while it has similarities with Hair Metal, I'd say the hair side is more synonymous with being about the party. Seattle was more about Bowie and T-Rex. Maybe.
There must have been a reason the music got darker there? The first Gulf War?
Keith's dead right that Mother Love Bone fit right in with the glam scene, but Soundgarden always had more of a harder, darker, weirder vibe. Right from Ultramega OK in 1988 they had too much of that bleak Seattle streak and down and down-tuned dirty aggression to their sound to really fit in with what was making the big $$$ at that time.

As for what lead to that darker thing getting so big, yeah there was the first Gulf War, but I think moreso it was the economic downturn triggered initially by the stock market crash in the late, Reagan-fucked 80s which lead to a recession in the early 90s. Plus there was that whole looming end of an entire millennium thing.

That, plus rock was always evolving, so it felt natural that there'd be some reaction away from the party rock that held sway in the 80s.

(I don't know what's happened to rock since the early 00s though. It seems like after the Strokes/White Stripes-lead garage rock thing and the At The Drive In-lead post-hardcore thing there hasn't been an interesting "movement" in the genre ever since. Or maybe I'm just old af.)
WittyReference likes this.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

It was a problem with the transporter.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It was a problem with the transporter.
I would watch that The Fly sequel.