Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2642: The Gang’s All Here (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2642-gang-s-all-here-20536/)

Andrea_Allan 05-31-2017 10:16 PM

2642: The Gang’s All Here

with Laurie Kilmartin – Children movies; ride shares; Keith’s favorite bits; political family strife; catcalling and fighting back; 45 Jokes About My Dead Dad

Guest:
Laurie Kilmartin
http://static-1.keithandthegirl.net/...KM-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

FingerLakes 05-31-2017 11:16 PM

can't answer the poll just yet. Only persons in my family who have died are a grandmother I never met and didn't know till she died and a cousin 20 years older than me. I'll come back to pick an option when I someone closer dies.

Sparrow 05-31-2017 11:56 PM

cool story about my Papaw dying:

the church i was raised in had a lot of old people in it, so i started attending funerals early and often. it is why florist flower smell super freaks me out. as an adult, the ritual and process of death is kind of old hat and i'm getting access to more and more intimate parts of it. Papaw died in his own bed; it was a good day, a good night, and a good death. my parents and brother and uncle and cousin gathered in the morning with my Mamaw to wait for the coroner.

now, it's awful dangerous for me to get bored. all the initial things, the crying, the singing, the acknowledgement of weight in the moment had passed and it kind of dropped into chillin' mode. /that's/ when the coroner showed up. i imagine they train them in proper demeanor when picking up a body b/c when i hopped up on Papaw's death bed right after they pulled him off it and started asking questions about what he had in his bag, his eyebrow went up. i knew he wanted me to shut up and get in line with how this usually goes,…but then he opened the back of his dead body mobile and i got real curious...

it's important to note my Daddy was an EMT just before the AIDS crisis hit full swing--i think he left b/c he was scared, he would have made a fine nurse--and i grew up using his old medical encyclopedias as a picture book. i was the youngest and everybody thought it was very cute. so, my parents and brother and uncle and cousin watching me assault this elected official like a tourist at Buckingham Palace thought it was very funny, my little game of mischief and disapproval. when we talk about that day we usually end up in fits of laughter over it still. that guy was a real bummer.

Archimedes_Screw 06-01-2017 08:12 AM

Keith! 5.11 taclite shorts. Wonderful cargo shorts. The rear pockets are slanted for easy access and there's a mag pouch that you could put a flashlight or multitool in. Just saw the IG pic for this episode.

Skyler 06-01-2017 03:51 PM

Does making jokes about my brothers suicide attempt while he was still in a coma count? If so, put me down for a "yes" on the poll.

Lanfear 06-01-2017 04:55 PM

My grandma died today, don't think I can joke about that yet but I'm pretty glad she died now and not later. Dementia and old age are not nice and she went relatively peacefully.

Keith 06-01-2017 05:15 PM

Jesus Christ, you can have your own thread.

What a killjoy.

Lanfear 06-01-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 860686)
Jesus Christ, you can have your own thread.

What a killjoy.

I'm sorry for what I am to be sorry for.

flerchin 06-02-2017 06:19 AM

Hugs

Enunciated Piffle 06-02-2017 02:30 PM

Poll

How do you joke about pancreatic cancer?! It's SO brutal.

I mean, it is pretty weird how their skin turns yellow. Like the Simpsons...

It's a tough one. I don't like talking about it. The worst is when someone you just met, is explaining how their dad died. This odd, slightly inferred, competition begins. Who's death was more brutal and stuff.

Oh. Here's something funny. My crazy Pill-popper Aunt loves to chain smoke. When my mom found her smoking in the house, IN the living room with him she freaked out.

He was like. I have cancer in my spleen, liver, and pancreas. Possible lung cancer is the least of my concern.

bellalugosi 06-02-2017 07:57 PM

I joke a lot about how I almost died. It makes some people uncomfortable. Oh well!

Sparrow 06-02-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellalugosi (Post 860744)
I almost died.

elaborate.

bellalugosi 06-02-2017 08:15 PM

It's not interesting. I had a routine surgery (gallbladder removal) and after a week, I went to sit up and something that felt like a spring popped inside me. Within a half hour, I literally couldn't move on my own. I was awake, I could talk, but I wouldn't have been able to reach for the phone. I was alone too, but my sister was on the way coincidentally. She called an ambulance and off I went for emergency surgery. One of the clamps had popped and bile (?) was spilling into my insides. I'd also developed an infection inside my body, around my belly button. I was in the hospital for a month to recover from that. Most of my joking comes from the way I acted on the pain medication, with the hallucinations and all. Once in a while my sister will say that she was really scared at the time, and I know I've gone too far.

Sparrow 06-02-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellalugosi (Post 860746)
the way I acted on the pain medication, with the hallucinations and all.

go on...

littlp 06-05-2017 04:42 PM

I'm a home care social worker for older adults. Death and dying comes up a lot. People grieve in many different ways. Some people need to joke about it, other people can't handle any kind of joke about it for awhile or ever. There is not a right way to grieve. As long as you aren't trying to kill yourself or others or hurt yourself or others, do what you need to do.

Also-EVERYONE should have a living will/advance directive. It is a document that specifies who you would want to be contacted to make health care decisions for you if you ever become medically unable to make those decisions yourself. The living will specifies whether or not you want life sustaining treatments in certain situations. A lot of states have the forms online, you don't have to have a lawyer to fill one out; you will have to have it notarized/witnessed.

The one thing all human beings have to do at some point is die. It is not an easy conversation, but it is better to have the conversation versus having your loved ones trying to guess as to what you would want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk