Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2659: Back to Reality (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/2659-back-reality-20572/)

Keith 06-25-2017 09:41 PM

2659: Back to Reality

with Michelle Collins – The View; actors and their personal lives; the Cosby mistrial; Bachelor in Paradise controversy; The Handmaid’s Tale’s sex scenes; dating a tall woman; silent but angry; Star Trek conundrums; being a trophy wife

Guest:
Michelle Collins
http://static-1.keithandthegirl.net/...LE-100x100.jpg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

bellalugosi 06-25-2017 11:24 PM

Pretty uncomfortable to hear her talk that way about the BIP stuff right after going after Cosby.

You guys did a good job.

Keith 06-26-2017 01:32 AM

Yes I did. Can't wait till you hear the next What's Up, A.

I read listeners giving us congrats on being good hosts. I want to learn to be a worse host. Shame on me, and I mean it.

Edited to say I just found this, not for nothin': http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-...ts-1201788498/

dreadfire 06-26-2017 07:59 AM

I was really surprised how rude she was over and over again.
From saying "I don't want to talk about this, lets talk about this" and just general interrupting.

jamieking 06-26-2017 08:09 AM

are you sure you can't bring back worst new guest?
Seriously great job guys! and I was glad you guys didn't really let her get away with that shit.

snowflake 06-26-2017 08:19 AM

everything she said was worst than the last. i really wanted to like her and kept being like "maybe..." and then she'd say something else.
"I want to soften this," "I dont' want to say that" "I feel like your interigating me"...
you can always tell a guest is a coward by how defensive they get. if you have employment conflicts of interest say you can't talk trash about a show, show some spine!
but the handmaid's tale? WTF. best show on tv, i read the book, i listen to red all over the podcast, i'm an atwood fan, i fight for women's rights, i'm a rape survivor and this is one of the most policitcally electric shows i've ever seen. and she thinks the rape scenes are hot. ...? fuck this bitch.
worse than the tig nataro episode; at least she was TRYing to be difficult and annoying.

Jmsmittyroad 06-26-2017 09:20 AM

Wow, I was in a car accident a while back where my car hit ice and I lost control. I was furiously turning the wheel and pumping the brakes and nothing I did made any difference. That felt a lot like this interview. On the up side, I did my hour morning commute in 45 minutes. On the down side, I arrived physically exhausted. Keith and Chemda will need sone time off, they used a weeks worth of topics in 55 minutes.

punk'n 06-26-2017 09:39 AM

Twenty minutes in...Yikes!

You guys are super professional. Good on you.

Mermaid 06-26-2017 09:41 AM

I love her tbh.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/K...ug-300x286.jpg

Sample 06-26-2017 10:05 AM

at one point, talking about relationships, she says "I put up a lot of walls"... honey you aren't anything BUT walls. Fakest person ever, so sorry you guys had to deal with that! Eagerly looking forward to better episodes and relistening old/good ones <3

Electric Squirrel 06-26-2017 10:18 AM

Wow. She shut's down anything once it gets remotely real. My favorite part was when Keith sarcastically asked if she didn't like when people were on the Bachelor on for the wrong reasons. She responded like she thought it was the first good question Keith asked her.

indiemusicgrrl 06-26-2017 10:19 AM

Worst guest award?!

Omg! I'm only 10 minutes in and wanted you guys to turn off the mics and tell her goodbye! Nice job pushing through. Props to you all.

allfalldown 06-26-2017 10:40 AM

Oof...I had to pause this multiple times because I was getting so uncomfortable. You guys were trying so hard to connect with her, but damn. How does she have a podcast? I listened to What's up A? before this episode, but I'm going to have to go back to get your reactions again.

Chopsuey 06-26-2017 11:11 AM

Yikes

Michelle Collins was a long time fav especially from the best week ever day and I even watched the view when she was on. Its disappointing to see her be soo stuck up, rude and unfunny. It also made me laugh how she was offended by the fact that Chemda is referred to as "the Girl". Why wouldn't you ask why she was called "The Girl" ? Judging by Keiths behaviour during the show, it should be called "The Gentleman and the Girl Show".

And her stance on "The handmaids tale"...yikes.

flerchin 06-26-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 861253)
I read listeners giving us congrats on being good hosts. I want to learn to be a worse host. Shame on me, and I mean it.

I'm really wondering how you would like to handle her if you had this show to do over again.

Would you just end the show? Ask her to leave? Throw straight aggression at her passive-aggressiveness? I really think y'all handled her perfectly by letting her hang herself.

I wonder if she was on coke?

Keith 06-26-2017 11:25 AM

Of course it's her normal self.

If I did it again, when we got to about 10 minutes in I'd ask, "What are you doing?"

Archimedes_Screw 06-26-2017 11:56 AM

I voted no but I'm not sure I understand the poll. Why would I give her a rose? Just any rose or is this a special one?

Archimedes_Screw 06-26-2017 11:59 AM

Oh. Give her the exact opposite of a rose botanically speaking.

Hera 06-26-2017 12:06 PM

Her "Whaaa??" reaction when Chemda said she met her husband in musical theater. And Chemda exhibited magnificent restraint when Michelle made a snide comment about being called The Girl, implying that it was Keith's sexist idea.

Archimedes_Screw 06-26-2017 12:13 PM

Maybe she was just nervous? I have even more respect of Keith and Chemda now.

Sparrow 06-26-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 861281)
Can we have a KATG award " WORST GUEST"?

we used to have worst guest. would not mind resurrecting that shame trophy.

i was out the minute she said things were getting "too serious" and went back to talking Bachelor and Bachelorette. who cares??!?!?!?

Furious Stylz 06-26-2017 12:40 PM

the overbearing character

Listening to her was like listening to the unholy love child of Bette Midler and Donald Trump. She's so on edge and defensive, but won't stop talking to actually listen and learn about the show she is on.

In my opinion, Mehran Khagani has this same style. He is fast, and talks over, and it feels pushy, EXCEPT he's actually funny, and there's a sweetness and respect in his delivery, even when he's insulting you. He can steam roll a conversation, but I've also heard him be very open and vulnerable. I think she needs to rethink her character.

Michelle Collins... (sound of keith ripping his notes)

thirteen 06-26-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw (Post 861279)
I voted no but I'm not sure I understand the poll. Why would I give her a rose? Just any rose or is this a special one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 861280)
To keep her in the game? Like see her again?

It's a Bachelor reference: "The bachelor typically presents a rose to the woman who makes the best impression during the group date."

I enjoyed the show and how uncomfortable it was, but obviously Michelle wasn't a great guest or person, even. I should go back and re-listen to What's Up, A?

punk'n 06-26-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 861286)
we used to have worst guest. would not mind resurrecting that shame trophy.

i was out the minute she said things were getting "too serious" and went back to talking Bachelor and Bachelorette. who cares??!?!?!?

K&C are the worst audience for her if all she wants to talk about is reality TV. When she kept striking out when asking if they like the Bachelor, etc and then they had this exchange:

M: "OK, what do you guys watch?"
K: "Silicon Valley"

I LOL'd.

Enunciated Piffle 06-26-2017 12:56 PM

Poll

I voted no to a rose. But I'd happily make it a dozen if accompanied by a Worst Guest Katguh :D

Hera 06-26-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw (Post 861285)
Maybe she was just nervous? I have even more respect of Keith and Chemda now.

Yes in all fairness, I think she was nervous. Talking fast, and maybe wary of a much less buttoned-up atmosphere than is allowed on network tv.

AstoriaGirl 06-26-2017 01:06 PM

I was uncomfortable at how defensive she was about the Bachelor. As someone who has a standing bet on this season, I'm super uncomfortable by both Bachelor in Paradise, and the Bachelorette this season.

Rachel, the first Bachelorette who is a black woman, is clearly being forced by producers to keep Lee, an extremely racist shit stirrer, on the show. It's disgusting, and I would have been interested in hearing her talk about/defend this aspect of the show.

Keith 06-26-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hera (Post 861291)
Yes in all fairness, I think she was nervous. Talking fast, and maybe wary of a much less buttoned-up atmosphere than is allowed on network tv.

That's cute. I don't think so...

AstoriaGirl 06-26-2017 01:18 PM

Just got to the Handmaid's tale part...

Edited again to say, I'm at loss for words. How could anyone ever find the rape scenes on that show hot? I genuinely don't get it.

Sparrow 06-26-2017 01:23 PM

anybody notice how often she sighed?

Hera 06-26-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 861293)
That's cute. I don't think so...

ohhh ... but this also reminded me of all her body-shaming comments, too

thirteen 06-26-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstoriaGirl (Post 861294)
Just got to the Handmaid's tale part...

Edited again to say, I'm at loss for words. How could anyone ever find the rape scenes on that show hot? I genuinely don't get it.

I'm not too worried about that kind of thing. It's a fantasy, not real life.

I'm more concerned about how long she talked about the show's sex scenes, and how much she contradicted herself by bringing them up (maybe keep it to yourself how much you enjoy scenarios like that with the type of personality you have?) while acting like Keith was a sexist villain keeping women down.

Sparrow 06-26-2017 01:41 PM

hitting the Handmaid's Tale section. i've absolutely jerked off to commander/handmaid fantasy. for sure. 100%. from the ceremony with the wife to sensual, secret late night scrabble.

AstoriaGirl 06-26-2017 01:48 PM

For me, the show shot those scenes in an extremely un-titillating way. Like, objectively I saw that Fiennes was attractive, but everything from the set, to the blocking, to the dialogue, to the acting, to the costuming reinforced for me how terrifying the situation was and how disregarded and mistreated Offred was. I also feel like it went out of it's way to strip out any romantic element of the situation, like with poor Janine :'(

Also my husband and I realized that if we didn't have sex before watching the show, it wasn't happening that day, because we were both so turned off and horrified, lol.

Sparrow 06-26-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apia (Post 861301)
I'm a dirty bitch

Quote:

I'm a dirty bitch

Quote:

I'm a dirty bitch

Quote:

I'm a dirty bitch

Quote:

I'm a dirty bitch

yeah, ya are. ; )

kevinquinn 06-26-2017 01:54 PM

Yes, and how can you trust someone who says "I'm being honest"
several times an hour.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 861296)
anybody notice how often she sighed?

Very surprised with how she approached this - loved her on Jeffery Self's podcast.

kevinquinn 06-26-2017 01:57 PM

The title "Keith and The Girl" being sexist is soooo 2007. It's capitalized. Keith has covered this!

AstoriaGirl 06-26-2017 02:04 PM

Well in the show, women are literally disassociating in order to get through the ceremony, Janine flees from having to go through the act again(after having her child ripped away from her and handed to someone else), Emily is the victim of FGM so she literally cannot experience pleasure in that way anymore, June cries afterwards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sparrow 06-26-2017 02:36 PM

i understand the horrors of using sex as a weapon against women during war and occupations. not to diminish that very real, tragic, dehumanizing experience..

...it's just he touches her thigh when he wasn't supposed to that one time and i came a little. sorrynotsorry

AstoriaGirl 06-26-2017 02:42 PM

May the Lord open.