Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: In general, does Chemda’s empathy go too far?
Yes 24 61.54%
No 15 38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree31Likes

Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

The context is the three statements I wrote.

Your "fire" argument is silly and will not be addressed.
Keith likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
For the record, I don't believe it's a good state of mind. I hope I didn't come across like that.
I think she's sick. I want to know what kind of sick she is and why.
She did a bad thing. I want to know if she's a monster. I want to know if she's a sociopath, a vicious killer, and/or whatever.
I'm not saying what she did was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't think you were saying what she did was OK

But you do generally come from a "its a good person that's just confused and had a momentarily laps of judgement"

There is a decent amount of people that are assholes, also a not insignificant number of people have mental illness quite possibly there is a huge overlap. If they show you bad behaviour I think its fair to acknowledge that and not pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns.

Doesn't mean you need to assume everybody is terrible, doesn't mean people can't change, doesn't mean you cut everybody off immediately - just be on guard a little?
Apia likes this.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
The context is the three statements I wrote.

Your "fire" argument is silly and will not be addressed.
Maybe I'm confused by your point then. Are you saying that her being convicted of involuntary manslaughter then it would mean simply saying (or texting) "kill yourself" illegal?
Scorpion likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I too want to understand this girl.
From the age of 19-23, I was with someone that was depressed. At one point I walked upstairs in our apartment to find him crying with a shot gun in his hand. This was about 2 years into our relationship. He wanted to kill himself.
I did not tell him to do it. I did not give him suggestions.
I could not convince him to help himself. I could not help him. As his significant other, I felt a responsibility to help him.
We never discussed him actually committing suicide. However, I know I would not have responded by giving him suggestions or telling him to kill himself.
When he turned 21 he began drinking and that is when I broke up with him.
About 9 years later he did commit suicide.
And at his funeral, I couldn't help but think, maybe that was his only way to happiness. That he was finally at peace.
Maybe this was just me 'dealing' with this tragedy.
Even if I believe now, that was his only way out, I still would have NEVER told him to kill himself.
But then again that is just me.
Keith and Scorpion like this.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

"That is just me. A human fucking being."
Scorpion likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had one boyfriend who turned out to be a sociopath. Just one, luckily.
In this relationship I learned, there are people who don't have any emphaty for anyone and who can't be explained. The question " what happened to him?"
did not lead anywhere.
It was absolutely awful, because I tried to understand him and because of that I had problems with leaving him. He played with people like they were toys and always blamed others for his failures.
Finally I realized I have to leave to stay alive and sane.

Now I know there are sociopaths out there, and when you meet one, go.
Don't engage. Save yourself.

I think the world would be better off if he was dead. Especially every woman he meets.

I just googled him and he is on twitter.
The Girl likes this.

Last edited by Apia; 08-10-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The defense of this girl sounds like the defense of Brock Turner. The people who defend him allege that he thought she wanted it, he was drunk so not in his right mind, he did a horrible thing but don't let it ruin his life. She did a horrible fucked up thing and shouldn't get off so easy, same as a young rapist who "just messed up".
Keith, Scorpion and Apia like this.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The girl's defense was that she herself was depressed and also taking an antidepressant which has been shown to limit activity in the part of the brain responsible for decision-making and empathy. The judge obviously didn't buy it and frankly neither do I. I like the prosecution argument way better which boiled down to she's the worst and also she was gaining sympathy and attention from people who she told about having this suicidal boyfriend. Kind of like Munchausen-by-proxy. "Imagine the extra attention I'd get if he actually died!"
Keith and Apia like this.

Last edited by lizsquiz; 08-10-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Thanks Todd
Old 08-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

For the sake of clarity: not a jury; just the judge.
flerchin likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Most of the inner city programs to stop violence are led by ex-cons and people who have lived lives of crime in their youth. (Mostly gang members and drug dealer) They've gotten out of prison, rehabilitated and have devoted their lives to stopping other kids from going down the same path.

Rehabilitation is a real thing.

These programs are all around the country. I'm sure there are a bunch in Harlem, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

But a theme I noticed is that they all say it's best to have someone who has been there and got the t-shirt, to lead the kids away from it.

I'm not one for black and white narratives about people.
The Girl likes this.