Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you believe in ghosts?
Yes 19 30.16%
No 44 69.84%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree85Likes

Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2710: Ghost Stories

with Chewy May and Andrea Allan – Texting and sending money in an alcoholic blackout; Hollywood’s whitewashing; It’s spooky promotion; scary movies, haunted houses, and real ghosts

Guests:
Andrea Allan

Chewy May

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
The Girl and Archimedes_Screw like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wait, you giggle at inside out puppies?
I love Chewy May.
Scorpion and Apia like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Chemda is fully correct in the "white is the default" explanation.

Lets look at the Hunger games example:

Quote:
In the novel The Hunger Games, Katniss describes Rue as “a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she’s very like Prim in size and demeanor.”
So this is not an example of changing a character from a book to a different race for a movie - its readers so hardcore defaulting to white that they ignore the actual description and take to twitter to write comments like
Quote:
“Awkward moment when Rue is some black girl and not the little blonde innocent girl you picture”
Los, Scorpion, Piscean and 3 others like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm agnostic af.

Logic and facts are cool or whatever. But they are party pooppers for entertainment.

I'm always open to the idea of supernatural things that can't be explained.

I feel like when I lose the ability to be whimsical is when I become a boring adult who has lost all their childhood wonder.
thirteen likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

i'm a whimsical adult, but i know ghosts aren't real. all the things that are "me" are grey matter and electricity. grey matter rots and electricity changes form, but pretty sure it doesn't retain our personality or have the ability to think, contrive, or affect matter.
Jmsmittyroad likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

For me its "I want to believe" but I really can't make my logical brain agree to that.

But how cool would it be if there were ghosts and magic and Bermuda triangles and Alien abductions
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

i console my imagination by remembering the universe may not work the same way in all of the places in it. there's a place where the laws of physics are different or skewed b/c of, what, the density of some particles or a special dust or gas, and the biology of the people and how their physiology reacts with their environment makes ghosting possible, but again, nothing supernatural. just science.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

When I was a kid I thought we were haunted by a baby ghost. For two nights I'd hear a baby crying in my room. Finally figured out that the noise was coming from under the trailer house. I crawled under the house and found a raccoon tangled in wires. A cornered coon is way scarier than any ghost. Also ghosts aren't real.
Keith, The Girl, Scorpion and 1 others like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i'm a whimsical adult, but i know ghosts aren't real. all the things that are "me" are grey matter and electricity. grey matter rots and electricity changes form, but pretty sure it doesn't retain our personality or have the ability to think, contrive, or affect matter.
Did you know that a caterpillar completely liquefies before turning into a butterfly! This is a recent discovery. They used to think it just change what it had, but no it starts all the fuck over. That's pretty freaky.
Each butterfly lays eggs on a specific plant and the caterpillar will only eat that plant, how does it remember what plant that is? Butterflies themselves will eat from any plant not just the one it starts with but somehow knows which plant to lay it's eggs.
I guess in a very long winded way I'm saying there is more to it than grey matter. I'm not saying ghosts are real I'm just saying grey matter is just the result of something else that is even more powerful and meaningful. Something else that makes you you to start with, and can hold some really powerful information. Nature / Nurture theories just got bitch slapped hard!
Los and Mermaid like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Did you know that a caterpillar completely liquefies before turning into a butterfly! This is a recent discovery. They used to think it just change what it had, but no it starts all the fuck over. That's pretty freaky.
Each butterfly lays eggs on a specific plant and the caterpillar will only eat that plant, how does it remember what plant that is? Butterflies themselves will eat from any plant not just the one it starts with but somehow knows which plant to lay it's eggs.
I guess in a very long winded way I'm saying there is more to it than grey matter. I'm not saying ghosts are real I'm just saying grey matter is just the result of something else that is even more powerful and meaningful. Something else that makes you you to start with, and can hold some really powerful information. Nature / Nurture theories just got bitch slapped hard!
somehow it knows? instinct. DNA. animal behavior is encoded, bruh. read a book.

more powerful and meaningful? bullshit. it's the gooey, reactive material we happen to have. full stop. we humans are hungry for patterns and meaning, does not necessitate they be so.