Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you give out candy on Halloween?
Yes 21 46.67%
No 24 53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree26Likes

Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

2722: Is It in You?

with Andrea Allan – Gatorade vs. Water; Mormon-owned Brigham Young University’s love of soda; the cost of Halloween; Hurricane Maria; KATG Polls; Kevin Hart’s baby shower; Usher’s herpes victims; Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months; Pretty Woman the musical; Macarena celebrates 21 years; group camping; high mountain climbers; Kingsman: The Golden Circle reviewed

Guest:
Andrea Allan

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Why can you have soda with caffeine and can't have coffee when you a Mormon? Does anyone know?
Because at the time when the founder was having regular chats with god and angels they told him he should marry tons of women but not drink hot drinks.
(Also Soda wasn't invented yet)
The Girl and Apia like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Why can you have soda with caffeine and can't have coffee when you a Mormon? Does anyone know?.
Coworker is Mormon. I asked him for you.
His response:

"I don't know. I do everything. I'm my own boss."

Me: "are you a shitty Mormon?"
Him: "no I'm a jack Mormon. That's what they call the ones who don't follow what they do. I drink, get tattoos. All that shit."
Me: "so why do you call yourself a Mormon still."
Him: "I don't know, because I was babtized or whatever. I guess I'm not a good Mormon."

Clarify everything? Lol
Scorpion and Apia like this.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

The circle will continue anyway, though.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Soda, Coffee, etc

So from spending a few years in Utah, this is what I gathered:

Hot drinks are no good, this includes herbal tea.

The most hardcore TBMs (True Believer Mormons) avoid caffeine even in soda. Unlimited sugar is fine.

Hot Cocoa is a grey area.

One thing I've noticed though...lots of sugar hounds among the Mormons. One of the few vices they're allowed!

But check it: The FLDS (Fundamentalist Mormons who practice polygamy) allow coffee and alcohol. There was a Starbucks in my area that had several sister wives working together in it.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Resident Mormon and BYU grad here!

So, here's the deal. Caffeine was never forbidden. You just had a bunch of overzealous members decided that the reason coffee was forbidden must have been the caffeine and then there was a weird cultural thing around drinking caffeinated soda. It's never been forbidden at BYU, just not sold on campus to avoid having to deal with complaints from the crazier members.

Things that are against the rules:
1) Coffee
2) Tea
3) Any form of alcohol
4) Illegal drugs unless they are prescribed by a doctor. (Lots of members in favor of legalized marijuana to be used as anti-anxiety medication)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad you guys got to go camping! I absolutely love it. Nothing speaks to me quite like being in the sticks. Chemda you can get a fairly cheap headlamp at Wal-Mart. Also deer are pretty easy going. You still got a little bit before rut season.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

haven't listened yet, but per the poll, i've never lived anywhere where kids came to trick or treat. grew up in the sticks. nobody drives down to my parents house unless they really mean to. as a grown up not living in any kind of planned neighborhood, things like trunk or treats, where people park their cars in a church parking lot or other community gathering place and distribute candy from decorated open trunks, have taken the place of, ya know, scooting down long, dark driveways.

it's a real bummer. i've sat very sad with bowls and my porch light on many a year just hoping like a sucker for those TV trope-esque groups of ghosts, witches, and hobos.
FingerLakes likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

i voted no. *sad face*
Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Puerto Rico fundraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
it's a real bummer. i've sat very sad with bowls and my porch light on many a year just hoping like a sucker for those TV trope-esque groups of ghosts, witches, and hobos.
This was definitely me at our old place! But now we're in an upstairs apartment, and I don't even try.

Anyway, did anyone catch the caller's website for that Puerto Rico hurricane relief fundraiser (or her podcast name)? The show notes say "Listener MeMe Cherry," but, if you google that, you just get a bunch of random cherry memes.